Let's talk about Rotties!

R

RedyreRottweilers

RD said:
Rottweilers are such good-looking dogs.

I'm curious, to those of you that own them or are familiar with Rottweilers (that have been well trained by responsible owners) -- What is their typical reaction to strangers in a friendly situation? Guests in the house, someone wanting to pet them in a store, etc. I keep telling myself that I am a magnet for poorly bred/poorly trained Rottweilers, because nearly every one I meet has regarded me (not my dogs, but me) with a belligerent attitude, some were downright aggressive and a couple of them in petsmart scared me by lunging to the end of their leads and barking like lunatics.

An online friend of mine is really encouraging me to look into getting a Rottie, she has two show bitches that sound lovely although I've never met them... I couldn't own one of them if most are as unstable as the ones I've met - I don't want a dog that will be beyond my control, freaking out at a random stranger in petsmart. Since I can't seem to meet any decent examples of the breed that have been raised by responsible owners, I figured I'd ask those of you who own them.
RD, all of my girls, even my import, who was not raised by me, and was mishandled and ill socialized, are friendly, sociable, outgoing, love to be petted by anyone, whether in my home, or out in public.

I do feel that a great deal of this is strongly influenced by early training and socialization, and the expectations of the owner/trainer. I expect my dogs to be friendly and sociable. I take puppies EVERYWHERE with me from 10 weeks on. When I have a new puppy, that puppy is out with me going SOMEWHERE for active training and socialization with people they don't know a MINIMUM of 3X per week. I take puppies to Home Supply Stores. (We have been welcomed at many Home Depots, and Lowe's stores...when she was small, we arrived with our own clean up supplies as well). We go to banks, the place where I get my oil changed and tires rotated. I've been known to hang out outside Walmarts, etc, to intercept friendly people who want to pet and visit with a cute puppy. To me, this is one of the things that makes a MONUMENTAL difference in the dog you end up with later. It builds confidence, and puppies learn very early about attention under distraction.

I have never owned a single Rottweiler that was concerned about the approach of any stranger when on the end of my leash, or once someone is inside my home.

Like most dogs, they charge the door if someone knocks. They are BALLISTIC inside my van, or behind my fence, and I have NO DOUBT that any of them would use deadly force if I were ever confronted with a real threat from any person.

The early socialization does not diminish this protective instinct in the dog whatsoever, it just lets them learn early on what friendly unthreatening people look like, and how to enjoy being approached and touched by a wide variety of people.

I have zero interest in a dog I can't take places, or that does not like being petted by people of any flavor.

:D

R

RedyreRottweilers

Thank you all for your comments about my dear girls, and especially my ^Roxy^. I have had many dogs over the years. They have all been wonderful, but she was special.

B

borgorn

RD said:
Rottweilers are such good-looking dogs.

I'm curious, to those of you that own them or are familiar with Rottweilers (that have been well trained by responsible owners) -- What is their typical reaction to strangers in a friendly situation? Guests in the house, someone wanting to pet them in a store, etc. I keep telling myself that I am a magnet for poorly bred/poorly trained Rottweilers, because nearly every one I meet has regarded me (not my dogs, but me) with a belligerent attitude, some were downright aggressive and a couple of them in petsmart scared me by lunging to the end of their leads and barking like lunatics.

An online friend of mine is really encouraging me to look into getting a Rottie, she has two show bitches that sound lovely although I've never met them... I couldn't own one of them if most are as unstable as the ones I've met - I don't want a dog that will be beyond my control, freaking out at a random stranger in petsmart. Since I can't seem to meet any decent examples of the breed that have been raised by responsible owners, I figured I'd ask those of you who own them.
When almost anyone comes over my rotti has the same reaction. He charges them and puts his head in their lap and demands to be pet. He won't leave them alone until they acknowledge him. But when at the vet he puts on a big show and barks at everyone. But he's a big baby and is bluffing.

R

RedyreRottweilers

I would not count on the fact that a dog who "charges guests", demands to be petted, and who barks at everyone at the vets is "bluffing".

I'm also disturbed when anyone describes a breed that is so powerful mentally and physically as the Rottweiler is, as a "big baby".

Dogs are not babies, and Rottweilers are certainly not.

If I were you, I would listen to what your dog is telling you, and it has nothing to do with being a "big baby".

R

RedyreRottweilers

bubbatd, from one who has about 20 years of experience with this breed, there are some that are extremely gentle.

It is wise, however, to always keep in mind the strength and power of this breed.

There are 40+ tombstones in the US under which dead people lie who were killed by Rottweilers.

Just last week another child was killed by a Rottweiler in Texas.

This breed deserves respect, and IMHO, representing any of them to the GP as "big babies" creates an incorrect perception of the breed, and dogs in general.

Way too many people make the mistake of trying to treat and train a puppy like a child anyway. My opinion is these sorts of terms perpetuate this train of thought in the GP.

A Rottweiler, even a very very friendly one, is a powerful animal who should be accorded a certain amount of respect.

The poster who has the dog charging guests, demanding to be petted, and behaving in an uncontrollable manner at the vets certainly does not have a "big baby."

Either of my 3 girls might be perceived by those who meet them in public on my leash as "big babies". They would have a radically different perception should they approach my van when they are crated in it, or my fencing at any time.

As always, JMO.

Others can and often do disagree.

;)

filarotten

Fila the love
I have to say as far as family, and many of our friends are concerned, they do perceive Roxie as a big baby. She is my baby after 9 years of having her around.

But, I also know that big baby has some very big teeth, and very protective instincts which could get her into trouble, if not heavily socialized, trained and supervised. She is strong, powerful and built like a bulldozer, she could easily hurt someone.

I do trust my Rottie and my Fila, what I don't trust... are people. They are the ones that can get a dog into trouble. I know how my dogs will react and what they are capable of. But, I don't know how a stranger will react to my dogs and what they are capable of.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
When almost anyone comes over my rotti has the same reaction. He charges them and puts his head in their lap and demands to be pet. He won't leave them alone until they acknowledge him. But when at the vet he puts on a big show and barks at everyone. But he's a big baby and is bluffing.
To me it sounds like he is trying to be dominate over the guests. 'Demanding" to be petted.

But thats just MO

The only experience Ive ever had with rotties, is Capo, a girlfriends dog. I would visit about 1x a month.....and Capo was such a friendly dog!
If I sat on the couch...he'd inch his way over until I was petting him. Then he'd inch his way up on the couch until his head was in my lap. LOL...then he'd inch his way ON to my lap! He must have weighed upwards of 150lbs....and Im a pretty tiny gal! It must have looked so funny...this big huge dog, trying to fit on my lap!
He was a joy...bless his heart. He passed away last summer.:(

corsomom

RD, my rott is great meeting new people, very friendly. Its a shame that you have only met poorly trained ones, they can be such great dogs.

B

borgorn

RedyreRottweilers said:
I would not count on the fact that a dog who "charges guests", demands to be petted, and who barks at everyone at the vets is "bluffing".

I'm also disturbed when anyone describes a breed that is so powerful mentally and physically as the Rottweiler is, as a "big baby".

Dogs are not babies, and Rottweilers are certainly not.

If I were you, I would listen to what your dog is telling you, and it has nothing to do with being a "big baby".
You don't live with my dog. He's a big baby. When he charges people he olny wants to be pet. He is trying to beat the german shepherd to get the attention first. He just looks intimidating because of his size. Instead of charges I should say excitedly runs towards. The vet is the only situation he ever barks at people. And they even say he's all bark. They don't even take him serious, they laugh. The dog is almost 12 years old. Not a threat at all. You can't say listen to what my dog is telling me. I know dogs and my dogs better then anyone. Have had many dogs my whole life. He is a passive dog and when people come over they say "Wow, he's a big baby. You don't know my dog better then me.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

borgorn

julieandchili said:
The only experience Ive ever had with rotties, is Capo, a girlfriends dog. I would visit about 1x a month.....and Capo was such a friendly dog!
If I sat on the couch...he'd inch his way over until I was petting him. Then he'd inch his way up on the couch until his head was in my lap. LOL...then he'd inch his way ON to my lap! He must have weighed upwards of 150lbs....and Im a pretty tiny gal! It must have looked so funny...this big huge dog, trying to fit on my lap!
He was a joy...bless his heart. He passed away last summer.:(
Mine was 153lbs when he was lounger. Now he's 135lbs. He thinks he's a lap dog too.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Thank you all for the explanations, I appreciate it. I know I just need to be a bit more open to Rotties, because the couple well bred ones that I've met were such lovely dogs.

B

borgorn

JennSLK said:
To me it sounds like he is trying to be dominate over the guests. 'Demanding" to be petted.

But thats just MO
He's not dominate at all. Just too affectionate. He's also competing for attention with the other dog.

B

borgorn

RedyreRottweilers said:
bubbatd, from one who has about 20 years of experience with this breed, there are some that are extremely gentle.

It is wise, however, to always keep in mind the strength and power of this breed.

There are 40+ tombstones in the US under which dead people lie who were killed by Rottweilers.

Just last week another child was killed by a Rottweiler in Texas.

This breed deserves respect, and IMHO, representing any of them to the GP as "big babies" creates an incorrect perception of the breed, and dogs in general.

Way too many people make the mistake of trying to treat and train a puppy like a child anyway. My opinion is these sorts of terms perpetuate this train of thought in the GP.

A Rottweiler, even a very very friendly one, is a powerful animal who should be accorded a certain amount of respect.

The poster who has the dog charging guests, demanding to be petted, and behaving in an uncontrollable manner at the vets certainly does not have a "big baby."

Either of my 3 girls might be perceived by those who meet them in public on my leash as "big babies". They would have a radically different perception should they approach my van when they are crated in it, or my fencing at any time.

As always, JMO.

Others can and often do disagree.

;)
wow, you are unbelievable. My dog is not uncontrollable at the vet. You made that up to strengthen your arguement.
Who tries to train their puppy like a baby? Not me. I am not a baby person. If someone broke in my house I question what my rotti would even do. He would want attention. But my german shepherd would make that person regret the decision to come in. I submit to this message board that you are trying to be a" know it all."

About the 40 tombstones. How many tombstones were caused by other humans. Does that mean all human should be labelled too?

Last edited by a moderator:

Roxy's CD

I understand what your saying to a T Red.

They are big. I tried the baby thing with Roxy, (of course before I knew better) and the results were not good. With a dog that size you don't want them taking advantage of any type of situation like that. Although, I think with good leadership they can be very cuddly and loveable. Like any other dog.

bubbatd

Of course you don't treat any dog as a baby !!! Whether small or big they are puppies and must be trained ! It's only when they are trained, well mannered and over 75#s that they are " Big Babies " !

My dogs are my babies but I treat them as dogs. When at home they are all "big babies" but that changes as soon as someone comes over. A dog should never lounge at a person who is not a threat. Caza doesnt like people, but he was taght to be indifferent to them. Since he is a working dog, I rarely take him out the the store and stuff because my pet dogs are Neeko and Joe (they usually go with me). Just because he prefers not to be petted does not mean he is allowed to act a fool in public. As long as you dont mess with him then he will not care about you. And that is how it should be. A dog should be NUETRAL to its environment.

All breeds are faced with false descriptions. Many consider a GSD a wonderful family pet and blah-blah-blah. but someone who does not research the lines and the breed will probably end up with a dog that is uncontrollable. Some GSD's (mostly american bred) are great family dogs, but put a good working lines GSD in a family, you would end up wth an agressive, dominating, monster. :eek:

Members online

No members online now.