Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-24-2006, 07:33 PM
Top Dog

[IMG]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a2/corsomom/mixmatchpics089.jpg[/IThis is my rotti- Bruno. Great dog, wonderful temperment.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:40 PM
Top Dog

Old 06-24-2006, 08:01 PM
Top Dog

Before I got Roxy, she's a mix as many of you know rott/dobe, I read up on Rotts. In my little book, LOL, it says that Rotts can be very stubborn. I've found this out first hand.

As Red said, THEY SHED! A lot! At least three times a week I swear I sweep up a whole other dog! I groom her once a day too!

I read in my book that Rott's are very quick to protect but not quick to actually bite. They would rather corner the intruder until the master comes home. I don't know about the latter, but from personal experience I KNOW that the previous statement is very true, they are VERY protective.

I got Roxy at 6 weeks. She had never been inside a house. I had her not even for 10 minutes inside my apartment at the time. Where my door was, you had to go down 2 sets of small stairs. Someone was coming down the stairs, Roxy immediately headed for cover underneath the coffee table and began growling. I hadn't even had her inteh house for 10 minutes!!!! Of course she could've been scared in a new place, but in the many months to come it would become very prevolent that Roxy was protective, and still is.

IMO Rott's a big teddy bears. Loving, kind, gentle giants, but if push comes to shove they WILL protect.

I took some pics of Roxy yesterday... I love to show off my beautiful princess

Roxy protecting the house from the evil next door neighbors cat!

Neighbors, drunken yelling across the street. LOL

Old 06-24-2006, 08:02 PM
RedyreRottweilers

HANDSOME photos of Bruno and Roxy.

Old 06-24-2006, 08:51 PM
Top Dog

I've always admired this breed, but wonder if they are now going the way of the pitts with wrong intentions and bad breeding. My neighbor ( 3 doors down ) got a pup about 2 years ago. He's an inside/ outside dog and walked daily. As a pup he played with Chip .... today I wouldn't allow Chip within 3 feet. The owner is a big man and can hardly handle the dog !! He had had a Boxer and thought he could train his Rottie the same way ( when I recommended puppy class and then obedience school. )It's sad as basically this dog was a " Carl " ( love those books ! ) How can a sweet Rottie end up this way when the owner cares and loves him ?? I really think he should have had more socialization , but until a year old he seemed fine.... and yes, I've recommended neutering.!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 06-24-2006, 08:56 PM
Top Dog

Thanks Red. We lucked out with Bruno. My husband picked him up from a byb 5 years ago on his way home from a fishing trip, put him in my arms and said "happy birthday" He is a great family dog, likes meeting new people, very stable. And also protective. I am home alone at night, I feel very safe with this boy.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:21 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Your CC is nice looking too, CM.

Boy do I ever know that feeling of security. I've slept with 1 to 6 Rottweilers lying in my floor since 1988.

Old 06-24-2006, 11:32 PM
Twin 2.0

I too am looking at getting a Rottie sometime in the next two years. My biggest concern is the potential for same sex dog aggression. Is it less when the dogs have grown up with the same sex or is just sort of a crap shoot at maturity? I'd like to get a female for the reasons Red listed. But I am concerned as to how the Rott and Aubrey would get along. Aubrey plays well with both males and females, but if things work out like they're supposed to in the next year or so, I'll be having the puppy live with me and Sawyer while Daniel and Aubrey are up at K-State finishing his degree. How much of a problem do you think that would pose when they move back home? More than likely the puppy would be visiting Aubrey every weekend, and I'm sure that I could arrange it so that Aubrey was living with me for at least a few months when we first get the puppy. Thoughts?

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!
Old 06-24-2006, 11:36 PM
Walks into Mordor

My uncle has a big country house with six rottweilers. A female rottie showed up at his home one day, and the family decided to keep her. Imagine their surprise to find out she was pregnant! And an even bigger surprise.....all the puppies were purebred. He couldn't find good homes for them all (my uncle was such a stickler for only selling them to good homes). So he ended up keeping five of the pups.

It's funny; Sushi (the mother) is an oversized rottie, but is very friendly. Certainly not very protective, although she does have her moments. Her children inherited the same temperament. It is rather intimidating, though. As soon as your car stops in the driveway, it's swarmed by a pack of enormous, barking rotties. We always tell my uncle that he shouldn't bother locking his doors, LoL.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:39 PM
RedyreRottweilers

It's hard to say, zoom.

The only dog fight I ever had was between 2 bitches, the younger of which grew up with the older one. They were 4 years apart. The fight happened with they were about 4 and 8 years old.

The 4YO jumped the older girl in the dog yard with zero notice under normal conditions.

After this fight they hated each other with such a bloody passion I was afraid one would dive through a window to get the other one outside.

When switching dogs, I would put one bitch inside a room in a double locked crate, close the door, and put the other bitch in another room in a double locked crate, and close the door, check the door to make SURE it's closed, and then let the other girl out.

It was a completely UNTENABLE situation, and I ended up rehoming the younger bitch.

Some people have same sex pairs that live together with a minimum of issues for their lifetime.

But if and when that fight does happen, it can be serious, even fatal, in minutes, and can also cause serious injury to the people who try to stop it.

It is just one more thing to be aware of when considering this breed.