Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-24-2006, 02:01 AM
and Spy.

Default Brazilian Mastiff Owners...

My uncle has been wanting one for years. However, because they are banned in Canada, he is unable to get one. Are there any other dogs that are closely related (both body and personality)? He doesn't like Bullmastiffs, and dogs with really blocky heads (I don't know why, just his preference).

~Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:24 AM
and Spy.

http://www.midgardkennels.com/about_us.htm

What do you think of these breeders and the breed?

~Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:09 AM
Top Dog

I love Presas, If I were looking to buy one I would go to the Presa board and ask about the breed and breeders from people who have alot of experience with them. Why are they banned in Canada?I think the Corso is alot alike in looks and temperment.I have heard the Presa is a little "harder".
Old 06-24-2006, 09:18 AM

I didnt know they were banned in Canada. I think when our rebelion in the US is finished we need to head north.

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
Ayn Rand

There is a level of cowardice lower than that of the conformist: the fashionable non-conformist.
Ayn Rand
Old 06-24-2006, 09:21 AM
Felurian

Midgard certainly looks like they are saying all the right things. It would certainly be worthwhile to e-mail them and get to know them. See how they answer your questions, and just as importantly, find out what kind of questions they have for you . . .

It's amazing - how Canada will ban the Fila yet not the Presa . . . No reason for banning either one - or any breed for that matter!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-24-2006, 10:40 AM
Top Dog

They look pretty good to me, I read the Health Guarantee and they seem pretty adamant about their animals NOT ending up in shelters regardless of the issue.

Their nice looking dogs too. Maybe it was just the breeder I spoke to, but I had inquired about a presa litter in WI. The lady had said that presas are EXTREMELY dog aggressive, and after they are 2 years old cannot be left alone with a dog of the opposite sex, regardless of the fact that they were raised together or not. Could be wrong but I wasn't going to risk it, especially seeing as she seemed to be very knowledageable about the breed.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:06 AM
Top Dog

Roxy, do you mean never leaving the same sex alone together?I will never leave my 2 corsos alone together either(females). Does anyone know why Filas are banned in Canada? I've never heard of any Attacks.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:09 AM
Felurian

Probably because they are banned in Great Britain, Corso. The Brit Powers That Be seem to think that Filas are fighting dogs

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-24-2006, 11:19 AM
Fila Love

They are also banned in Australia.

One of the main reasons for me choosing a Fila over the other mastiffs was due to the non dog aggressiveness of the breed.
Old 06-24-2006, 11:28 AM
Felurian

The ban in Australia is really a shame. Filas would be admirably suited for the climate as well as managing the large livestock ranges there!

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian