Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-21-2006, 04:45 PM
Rebel With Cause

I raised Barney from a puppie before I got into animal rescue but he was about 3 months old for stairs. same for house breaking as I left the back door open and he loved the outside but he was around 5 months before it was fool proof on out side potty. Never was crated he slept through the night with me on the bed was 2 1/2 mo. old before he quit waking me up to potty. He was a smaller Shih-Tzu full grown at about 8 mo. weighed 9 lbs
Old 06-21-2006, 06:03 PM
LabBreeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by misticaleclipse
I have a Shih tzu and wanted to know when your dog did certain things
and at what age?

1) When did your dog go up and down stairs? Charlie is 6 months old and does not go up or down stairs yet.

2) He does not seem to be gaining that much weight. I have seen many shih tzu's many sizes. At what age did your small dog stop really growing?

3) How long did it take to be 100% housetrained? It appears that we are not, but im very paranoid!
1. At 9 1/2 weeks for both.
2. No small dog, but Tira topped off height/weight wise around 1 year (at least that I can see)
3. Tira was quite awhile cause we had her pad trained due to where we lived when we first got her (3 roads right by the house). She used the pads solely within 2 or 3 weeks of getting her. Gunner uses the pads (2 - one for pee, one for poo...he's picky, lol) at night and goes outside during the day. No accidents at all from 10am til 4am (when I get up and go to bed usually). It took him about 2 or 3 weeks to go outside with no indoor accidents while we're up.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:06 PM
LabBreeder

nvm....
Old 06-22-2006, 09:45 PM
Top Dog

nvm? not sure what that means?
Old 06-23-2006, 05:27 AM
Dog Crazy

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by misticaleclipse
I have a Shih tzu and wanted to know when your dog did certain things
and at what age?

1) When did your dog go up and down stairs? Charlie is 6 months old and does not go up or down stairs yet.

2) He does not seem to be gaining that much weight. I have seen many shih tzu's many sizes. At what age did your small dog stop really growing?

3) How long did it take to be 100% housetrained? It appears that we are not, but im very paranoid!

1)My dogs went up and down the stairs out 4 mon ths old.

2)Rosie my cavalier gained weight when she got spayed, emz has not been spayed yet she is still skinny

3)My dogs learnt quite quickly they learnt about 4 or 5 months of age

Old 06-23-2006, 12:06 PM
Top Dog

Default holding it

I understand that each dog is different but he should be able ot hold it all night by 6 months--Wrigley could hold it all night by 3months (he weighed around 6lbs at the time). Wrigleys growing has slowed a bunch (he is almost 6 mo and now 11 lbs) I can't forsee him getting any heavier maybe just a bit taller....
Old 06-23-2006, 03:44 PM
Golden Love

Of course my answers are a bit different considering I have a Golden Retriever.

1) When did your dog go up and down stairs? Charlie is 6 months old and does not go up or down stairs yet. Emma was able to go up and down the stairs as soon as we brought her home at 12 weeks.

2) He does not seem to be gaining that much weight. I have seen many shih tzu's many sizes. At what age did your small dog stop really growing? Emma techincally didn't stop growing until she was 2, but after 1yr of age the changes were very small.

3) How long did it take to be 100% housetrained? It appears that we are not, but im very paranoid! Emma was completely housetrained almost 2 weeks after we brought her home. She did have a few slip ups so I'm going to say that she was totally house trained by four months of age.

I wish you the best of luck with your Shih Tzu! They certainly are adorable dogs.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
- Mark Twain

Life is like a dog sled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes.
-Lewis Grizzard

Old 06-23-2006, 08:50 PM
Top Dog

***update***

Charlie has slept through the night the last two nights, yea! I'm very happy!

I also think the house training is completed, but I'm being very careful just incase.

As for the stairs. Its strange because when he was 3 months old he was giong up them consistently and then he just stopped. He never had any big tumbles or injuries, but maybe it spooked him and its just a mental thing.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:38 PM
orange iguanas.

--Lucy started doing this at about 11 or 12 weeks old. We didn't get her until she was 10 weeks old, and there weren't any stairs at her breeder's house so it was totally new for her. Getting her to go down the stairs took a bit of time, but once she got the hang of it, it was no big deal.

--Can't really say anything about this because Lucy is just coming on 5 months old and I'm sure she's still growing.

--Once again, not at that point yet lol...Lucy will be 5 months old on July 1st though and she's *very* close to being housebroken!

4) When did they start sleeping through the whole night in there crate/without going outside?
--Maybe I'm a meanie but we have never let Lucy outside in the middle of the night. She's always held it all night, and she never makes a peep during the night so I don't think it bothers her.

She's a bichon/toy poodle mix, by the way...last month she weighed 3 pounds so we might be up to 4 pounds now, lol.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 06-27-2006, 08:46 PM
Active Pup

Smile

I have 2 Shih Tzus

1) When did your dog go up and down stairs? They both went upstairs at about 3 months. One was afraid to go down until around 5 months, the other 4 months. We tricked the one that was scared. We would leave him upstairs and then act like we were having so much fun downstairs. He would whine and whine and then one day he just came down!!!

2) At what age did your small dog stop really growing? They both weigh exactly 15 pounds and seem to be stable.

3) How long did it take to be 100% housetrained? I would say around 5-6 months where we can trust them totally not to pee in the house.

I think you also asked about sleeping through the night. Typically, your dog should be able to hold it for however old they are in months + 1 hours is how many hours they should be expected to hold it. So, 8 hours for a 6 month old is not good. It should only be 7 hours. Guess you'll have to lose an extra hour of sleep for another month! Or, my pups still don't sleep through the night, but they have a doggie door inside their indoor fenced in area so they go out and play and poop whenever they want! It's great!!!

Zan