Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-21-2006, 02:56 PM
Top Dog

Default Some small breed questions!

I have a Shih tzu and wanted to know when your dog did certain things
and at what age?

1) When did your dog go up and down stairs? Charlie is 6 months old and does not go up or down stairs yet.

2) He does not seem to be gaining that much weight. I have seen many shih tzu's many sizes. At what age did your small dog stop really growing?

3) How long did it take to be 100% housetrained? It appears that we are not, but im very paranoid!
Old 06-21-2006, 03:12 PM
Permanent Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by misticaleclipse
1) When did your dog go up and down stairs? Charlie is 6 months old and does not go up or down stairs yet.
At around 4 months.

Quote:
2) He does not seem to be gaining that much weight. I have seen many shih tzu's many sizes. At what age did your small dog stop really growing?
At around 6-7 months

Quote:
3) How long did it take to be 100% housetrained? It appears that we are not, but im very paranoid!
At around 6 months

This is what happened with my 4lb poodle mix.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:18 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I have a Shih tzu and wanted to know when your dog did certain things
and at what age?

I also have a shih tzu Emily. She was an apartment dweller till she was 1 year, so that's when she learned stairs.
She stopped growing around 6-7 months old.
She was about 8 months old before she was totally house broke. (also due to peeing a pee pad girl while we were in the apartment, and a backyard dog when we moved)
And here she is, for good measure.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:23 PM
Top Dog

Thank you very much. I have another question also.

When did they start sleeping through the whole night in there crate/without going outside?

Edited to add that I love the picture, very cute!

Last edited by misticaleclipse; 06-21-2006 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Edited to add that I love the picture, very cute!
Old 06-21-2006, 03:52 PM
Permanent Troll

Mine slept around around 4 months old.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:59 PM
Active Pup

I don't have a shih tzu, but I have a chi. He started going down stairs at around 4 mos. He reached his full height and length at around 10-12 mos., but continued to fill out until he was almost 18 mos. old. And, he was fully potty trained at about 5-6 mos. Hope this helps. Charlie is adorable btw.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:12 PM
Top Dog

I really have no clues about small breeds....only know my Golden pups did stairs from 6 weeks on .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 06-21-2006, 05:16 PM
Are you dead yet?

Ripley didn't go up and down stairs on his own until he was about 8 months old. He was capable of it long before that, but I was an overprotective mom and since he only weighed about 3lbs, I just carried him.

Ripley stopped growing at about 6 months, I think he was completely done (growth plates closed, etc) at 7-8 months.

He's still not housetrained reliably at 2.5 years of age.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:17 PM
Top Dog

Ah thank you He has received his compliment quota for the day though so ill pass it on tommorow (wouldn't want it to go to his head, jk )
Old 06-21-2006, 05:25 PM
Top Dog

The reason I'm asking about the sleeping is because he still does not seem to sleep through the night. I say seem because I go to bed with him and then my fiance goes to a bed a few hours later after letting him outside again. We started doing it this way because otherwise he was waking me up at 3-4am and I didn't feel safe going out alone at that hour with him.

He has slept the whole night a few times since then, but I'm not sure if I should try getting him to sleep the whole night again because most of the time I try he wines and if I don't let him out I'm affraid he could mess in his crate.

Should a 6 month old shih tzu be able to hold it for 8 hours over night?? (also hes small for its age i've been told at under 10 pounds)