Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 06-27-2006, 01:34 PM
whatszmatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd
NO faults should be carried on !
maybe this is addressed already, i haven't read beyond this post yet, but if you had that mentality as a breeder NO dog would ever be bred, Not one ever. There is no perfect dog with no faults. And if there were a couple of them, you'd severely strangle the gene pool and very little genetic diversity in the breed which would result in a quick demise of any breed.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:43 PM
Loves off-leash training!

After 17 years of working and showing dogs, I'm finally at the point where I am seriously considering breeding one of mine. I've researched her bloodlines, assessed her structure, and am trying to find a stud that would compliment her weaker points.

The problem I have is that I want a performance line of chows, and that's just not something you see much. She's built very nicely as a working dog, lighter in bone than the typical show dog (although she still meets the breed standard in all ways). I've had her assessed by other breeders and by judges and she is pointed in both AKC and CKC conformation. She's entered in rally at an AKC show next month and will go on into regular obedience as well as being introduced to herding (to assess her herding instinct) and agility (which, if I can keep up with her, she should do quite well at).

There's a CERF clinic coming up that I will take her to, as well as an International show that provides written critiques. Hips and elbows will be x-rayed in November or so (after she turns two). Her father is probably the most health-certified chow ever, with certifications on hips, elbows, stifles, eyes, heart and thyroid. So she comes from very healthy stock.

Finding the right stud will be interesting. He will need to be nicely square but not too heavy, because the overly-heavy dogs defeat the purpose of having a working dog. The chow should be agile and quick and without breathing problems. They should also carry a good temperament and a high level of intelligence, both of which are evident in my little bitch. She has beautifully straight stifles, an elegant neck but her topline is a bit arched (just a teeny bit) and so the stud would need to have a very level topline in order to avoid any increase in that arch.

So many judges base their judging of chows on who has the heaviest head and bone, unfortunately, and fail to take into account what the breed was originally developed to do (hunt, herd, pack, pull). This is a spitz breed, a dog that should have a lot of athletic ability and stamina. And that's what I will be breeding for. While I want dogs that fit the written breed standard, I may not produce dogs that do well in the show ring and that's okay with me. It won't be because they are physically wrong, it will be because they are not overdone as often happens in "show dogs".

Maybe someday the chow will be known as a working dog again.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Old 06-29-2006, 12:19 AM
Top Dog

I have yet to breed and dont plan to for a while. But when I do my main focus would be the dog's ability to work, and health of course. But conformation would not be my priority. AS long as the dog has no genetic deformity (or bad temperament), then I would consider it. I would have studded (is that a word?) Caza out but his attitude is very standoffish and does not like people. Though I love his temperament for working, I feel his personality is not for everyone. Its not bad, but I would hate to let one of his puppies get into the wrong hands (up to the b*tches owner). Hondo is more outgoing and friendly and has shown tremendous drive and focus at such a young age. When he grows up I will fully assess him and once he has proved himself a wonderful working dog, then I *might* consider breeding him. If I do get to that point of considering to breed him, then I would start my search for a female. I would so the same thing you did, Red. Find his weak points and find a match who will offer those traits that he is lacking. I would do an extensive research of the b*tches lines and see how well they would do together. Although I more and likely will stick to West German Working lines. Its a long way down the road, but you never know what can happen.