Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-03-2005, 09:32 AM
Devout animal lover

Default New to Forum

First of all GREAT FORUM. I ran across this forum out of depression. Not a great way to find a forum, that's for sure. Anyways I was doing some reading about certain dog surgeries and ended up here so I thought I would share what is going on. The other day our Golden Retreiver named Brandi had to have her rear leg operated on for a torn ACL. She is in a cast from the top of her leg to the tip of her toe. When she was sent home we (the wife and I) wee told that we would have to help her with pottie duties by using a sling under her belly. We tried to do that but Brandi is overweight and has been ever since we had her fixed. She weighs in at 116lbs. So we give it our best shot but she would not go pottie. We had gotten her home the same day from surgery at about 5:00 in the evening and by 11:00 she had yet went pottie. We had her in and out about 5 times. This was a struggle for both of us as my wife cannot lift too much weight and I have had a total shoulder replacement and doing something like that is painful for me. Anyways early the next morning we took Brandi out and she would not put weight on her other leg. We called the vet and had to rush her down to him. She tore the ACL in her other leg due to trying to put all of her weight on that leg. So now we have to take her to a major clinic for surgery (TPLO) on her other leg. It rather expensive at $3000 but the money is no object. She will be operated on tomorrow, then we pick her up Saturday and take her to the kennel beside out vets office in the next town about 20 minutes away where she will have to spend the next month to 6 weeks for care. They have a staff that will look out for all her needs and we can visit every night. It is lonely around the house at the moment and all kinds of emotions run thru you head, like what could we have done different so this would not have happened. Brandi has no clue, and you feel bad because you take her to the vet one day and now she does not get to even come home for a month. It is tough. And her sister Nikki is just lost without her because all she know is that Brandi is gone. But she will be in good hands. You just can't help but feeling sorry for her though. And I have a real tough time when it comes to animals. At times I think I show more compassion for them than I do another person. A dog will be there for you no matter what. If you are having a bad day, a dog will be there for you and listen to your every word. A lick of the hand and a wag of the tail can turn your whole demeanor around. Then when they do not feel well you feel kind of useless. I guess it is something another dog person understands. Anyways, I just wanted to say I am glad to be a part of this forum and look forward to reading other stories from dog owners. And sorry for the thread being so lengthy but just had to get it off of my chest and talk about it.

Kevin

Brandi & Nikki
Old 03-03-2005, 10:17 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Hello kevin, that is a terrible situation to be in.. i am sorry for all your troubles with your Brandi...my pointer cut the pads of both front feet and i had to carry him out (he weighed only 80 but there was only 1 me) down three steps and back up..it was difficult.i can so relate to the getting outside problem. Money is no object,not something every dog gets to hear...i am glad she will have help in her recovery and i hope she returns home happy and heathly..scratches and pats to Nikki in the meantime...
Old 03-03-2005, 10:20 AM
Love my pets

Kevin, I'm so sorry to hear all that you're going through with Brandi. Brandi and Nikki are gorgeous by the way. My terrier mix CJ had ACL surgery 2 1/2 years ago. I had to take care of her myself but luckily she is only 50 lbs. I was told that the other leg could go also, but thankfully, it didn't. Nothing you did probably could have prevented the ACL injury. Most of the time, it happens when they jump wrong. I have had CJ on glucosamine/chondroitin since the surgery. Arthritis will develop in the surgery areas, but all I can say is my CJ is doing very well and runs like crazy now. Walking Brandi when she gets back will help her keep the muscles/joints moving. I feel so bad that you, your wife, & Nikki don't have Brandi around right now, but at least you were able to have the vet take care of her while she's recovering. She will probably shower you all with kisses when she gets back home. Brandi is in my thoughts for a speedy recovery.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:11 AM
Devout animal lover

Thanks for the thoughts. I guess what makes it bad today is that we have to pick Brandi in a little while and take her to the clinic and leave her again. I just hope deep down she understands that what we are doing is for her good. It's tough when you love an animal like that.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:26 AM
Felurian

Kevin, Brandi's lucky you're able to give her this kind of care. Just go visit her as often as you can. She's probably going to get a bit depressed, and so are all of you left at home to worry about her.

Her weight problem should be well on it's way to being under control when she gets back, too. It will be very important to keep her weight down in the future to keep stress on those repaired ACLs to a minimum. This will be a good time for you to read up on finding a good diet for her that will keep her healthy. Mordy will be able to help you immensely with that!

You've got two lovely, lovely dogs.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-03-2005, 12:47 PM
Corgi bum

Hi Kevin...welcome to Chazhound!!! I'm so sorry for Brandi and you!! Thats a very difficult situation indeed. I agree with Renee. Brande will get the rehab she needs, and you can visit her often. She be back to her old self very soon.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:59 PM
Top Dog

Hi Kevin. Welcome to the forum, and I am sorry you had to find it under the circumstances, but I am glad you are here. I am so sorry about Brandi. She is so lucky to have someone who cares about her so much and will go to all lengths to help her out. She will get better and the month will fly by in no time. It is good that you still get to visit her and she will be so glad to see you. Jst hang in there and she will be home before you know it. Give her some love from all of us.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:04 PM

Hi Kevin. We'll all be hoping that Brandi makes a speedy recovery, and be home again in no time. They are both gorgeous!!!!!
Old 03-03-2005, 05:33 PM
Don't encourage me..

Keeping our fingers and paws crossed for Brandi!! Hope she gets better soon! Love your pics!

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Old 03-03-2005, 10:48 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

when people had to leave their dogs at the kennels where i worked, i found that dogs are wonderful waiters, and have such faith. They seem to know in their hearts that their people WILL come back and visits helped a great deal. Most dogs do not panic or cry during their time away..they just hunker down and let the time go by. THe wieght will be a great relief for her when it is gone. Mary, my dog has a bad joint in her back hock, and i have to keep her fit and trim so that it doens't hurt her so badly..even 10 lbs missing made an incredible difference in her ability to romp and play. Since i cant let her have as much food as she wants, i do break her meal up and give her some in the morning and evening..with a little broth (very little) to flavor and diet treats that make her happy. They even have flavored water out there which sounds dumb until you find yourself wanting to give your dog a treat without a calorie in it..then it doen'st sound dumb at all..