Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 06-20-2006, 07:54 AM
Big Dog

Default Awkward swimming

I take Zoe to the lake across the road.She loves to just walk in the water and run in and out. I dont push her to go out farther.

She seems to be afraid of the deeper water. I had thrown a stick and it went a little bit farther but not too much. She didnt want to go and get it.

When I went out with her a little deeper she seemed really awkward like she wasnt exactly sure how to swim . It was really cute.

Do dogs have to learn to swim? I thought it was always an inborn instinct.

[IMG][/IMG]
Casey
Old 06-20-2006, 07:58 AM
Dog Show Addict

Some dogs just seem to know - others have no clue and sink like rocks lol

We had two Shelties that had NO CLUE how to swim, but our other little group was great little swimmers!

lol Our one male named Laddie sunk like a rock.. it was kind of funny actually!
We placed him in the water and he just slowly started to sink - didn't move a muscle and just watched us as he went under. We scooped him up quickly after that. We tried a few times, but he never really got the idea of "swimming".

My belgian on the other hand is a WONDERFUL swimmer. He really likes it when i'm in the water with him though, he'll "herd" me in the water - doing circles around me until i'm at the shore again lol!

Our newest Shelties haven't really experienced swimming yet. I put them in the water when they were puppies. Jada was fine with it as long as I was right there next to her holding her "saftey harness", but Crosbie.. omg.. he clawed the crap out of my sisters arms, chest and back trying to get OUT of the "disgusting" water hahaha!
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 06-20-2006, 10:35 AM
Twin 2.0

Sometimes it takes them a while to get the hang of it. My Aussie basically had to be taught, and he was not the most graceful swimmer in the world at first either--lots of useless splashing. But now he's gotten used to it and will swim to his heart's content....or out to the middle of the lake to rescue Mommy from the evil waverunner.

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!
Old 06-20-2006, 11:08 AM
Top Dog

LOl. that's too cute elly!

I've never known of a dog that couldn't swim though... I assumed it was innate to at least try to save yourself if sinking under water! LOL

You could try holding under her belly and giving her a bit of support until she gets the hang of it. It's funny because Roxy will swim in the swimming pool, but she won't swim in the lake, I think she feels the curent and it makes her nervous.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:19 AM
Top Dog

I don't think poor Chip ever had a chance to swim before I got him. He never went deeper than his knees until last summer when EliN's Hunter showed him what a blast it was to swim. After that, he loved it !!!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 06-20-2006, 01:27 PM
Top Dog

when poppy first tryed she panicked (she went in after some birds) she splashed alot for the first few times after that she loved it and has learnt that she will not drown if she gose in.
Old 06-20-2006, 02:54 PM
RedyreRottweilers

I've never had one that did not have to learn. At first the paddle wildly with the front feet, slapping the water, and forget to kick the rear.

The tenser they are, (just like us) the more they sink.

If it's warm enough to get in where you are, take your puppy gently out into the deeper water with you, and support her while she learns to keep herself horizontal in the water.

A float coat can help in the beginning stages, and can be a great help for dogs who love to swim. Keeps them a float even after they are tired out.

Old 06-21-2006, 03:36 AM
Big Dog

Thanks it was neat reading about other dogs and how they do in the water.

I take Zoe down to the water every day as it is summer here and the water is nice.

I guess she will get the hang of it eventually.Its not that important to me that she is a great swimmer. I thought it was funny though her being a lab. I just figured they would be born swimmers

I will try taking her out and supporting her in the deeper water to get her used to it.

[IMG][/IMG]
Casey
Old 06-21-2006, 05:40 AM
Evil Kitty taco eater

Not all labs are natural born swimmers. They should naturally like the water but not all swim gracefully, especially thier first couple times.
They try paddling upwards instead of forward. Some never learn to swim and some learn in thier first few tries.
This is the main reason my puppies are swam in my bath tub when they are 4 weeks old.
Just keep her interested in the water. If you have a friend who has a dog who swims plan a swimming play date. Sometimes having another dog there to show your dog what fun it is, is all it will take.
My puppies at 4 weeks old swimmin in the bath tub...Had to share!

Where am I going? And why am I in this hand basket!!!?
Old 06-21-2006, 06:39 AM
LabBreeder

OMG Mom that is SO cute!!!
How deep is the water? Is it where they could still stand or a little deeper so they have to swim?

Tira has always liked water; swimming, splasing, playing, laying, etc.
Gunner swam in a pond with his mom/dad/siblings before we got him but since then it's just been bath water cause there is no place around here to let a dog swim.