Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-02-2005, 12:52 PM
Mop Lover!

Angry

Ive seen one of those kinds of stores too except there was like 3 puppies in each crate it made me SO mad!!!!!!!!!!! still mad now

"You may have a dog that won't sit up, roll over or even cook breakfast, not because she's too stupid to learn how but because she's too smart to bother." - Rick Horowitz
Old 03-04-2005, 01:30 PM
Top Dog

I have a question. Why is it that all of these puppies are in such bad condition? I mean, if an owner had dogs in that bad of condition, wouldn't they be charged with neglect? Why aren't Petstores being charged with that? Just courious.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:58 PM
no touchy

*sigh* I hate pet shops. We have one around here that sells basically any breed they can get their greedy hands on, along with designer mixes. The last time I was there there were Shiba Inus and a "Cockapoo". Four Golden Retrievers shared a cage big enough for two eight week old puppies. I was so upset.

One of the best thing you can do is buy absolutely NOTHING from places like that. I refuse to buy so much as a treat for ninety nine cents from places like that. And don't forget spreading the word!! Type up flyers and pass them out to all of your neighbors, friends and relatives. Whenever possible I hand out info. In fact, just yesterday I sent information on mills from the Humane Society of America to a person down the street along with some training information (his dog behaves horribly). I hope that someday there will never be any puppy mills, pet shops or BYBs, but if that ever does happen it'll take quite a while.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:08 AM
Trained by an Airedale

I really wish it was illegal, in fact for ages I thought in the UK it was banned as I haven't seen puppies or kittens in a petshop over there for ages, but just looked at a UK website and think I was mistaken? Certainly still popular here is Spain, I'm still on a guilt trip for giving the horrible petshop near us money for Misha but obviously i'm also glad we 'rescued' her. We've since found out she was about 6 months old when we got her, 2 months older than the store said, so I'm not clear where she actually came from before the store. By her behaviour I can guess it wasn't a great place.

I need to keep going on the spanish practice so I can go in and start questioning them like Renee says.......I like that idea.

Old 03-05-2005, 06:02 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I promise you the fish, birds, and rodents didn't fair any better, and in fact for about every bird that makes it there..half a dozen or better died along the way..we won't even discuss the conditions reptiles..who can live for a long time without a meal become starved..oh my i said i woudn't go there so i won't...all pet store ...i saw where the came from before they went to the pet stores all over the us..it is that bad.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:49 AM
Love my pets

Way to go Renee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-05-2005, 11:12 AM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose's Gal
I have a question. Why is it that all of these puppies are in such bad condition? I mean, if an owner had dogs in that bad of condition, wouldn't they be charged with neglect? Why aren't Petstores being charged with that? Just courious.
Great point! If you see animals being kept in conditions that appear bad enough that your local humane authorities might investigate, report the store. Another tactic might be to bring it to the attention of the local media. You never know when there is a reporter looking for a story, and animals always make good press. There's usually at least one local TV station that airs animal adoption spots, and the same is true for newspapers.

Right, Saje?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-05-2005, 12:30 PM
Top Dog

Maybe we all need to start a "puppies out of pet stores" campaign in our own towns. Then we could do it together and we wouldn't be all alone! I want to get it to the point where no animals are sold in pet stores, because as Smkie says the mortality rates for birds and small animals during shipping is appalling. But I think starting with puppies will hit close to home with the average Joe.

I've taken the first step and gone in to get pictures of the puppies. I told the teenagers at the counter that we were buying a puppy for my brother, but that my mother was bedridden and had to see photos before she approved the purchase. Which makes sense, since the prices are so outrageous. I got photos of their feet (a total mess from standing on metal grates), their eyes and noses (cold going around), and a number of dogs in their cages covered in feces. It was hard to leave them there, but I'm still hoping I can help.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:36 PM
Felurian

Great work, Emma!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-05-2005, 12:40 PM
Top Dog

Well, yeah, but now I need to figure out what to do with the evidence I have. I thought about circulating a petition, but I don't know how the laws work around such things.