Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-17-2006, 11:41 AM
F150 and a .30-06

IMHO I dont feal that any "gardian type" is good for a first time home owner.

I would get a lab. If you want a deturant get a black or chocolate because they are "meaner" looking and less likely for someone to know what they are. Labs will protect you if the need arises.

Just MO as allways

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 06-17-2006, 12:06 PM
no touchy

I agree with Gempress.

I'm thinking a German Shepherd...make sure you do your research first...they are wonderful, sweet, loyal dogs to their families, and make great protectors.

Quote:
I would get a lab. If you want a deturant get a black or chocolate because they are "meaner" looking and less likely for someone to know what they are. Labs will protect you if the need arises.
I don't consider black and chocolate labs to look "meaner" I have a chocolate lab and people rush to her to pet her BECAUSE she is chocolate. However, I have no doubt she'd protect me if needed. Labs just have a more unique protection style...if my lab doesn't like someone, she'll stand in front of me and stare the person down until they leave. She plants herself into the ground so NO ONE can move her. My other two stand next to me and bark/growl as needed.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamba
Thanks for that usefull post Gempress.

I do actually want a dog to love and appreciate. Not just as a 'burglar alarm' but also as a friend and companion to myself and my family (4 daughters!). I'm angry at being burgled and maybe this is coming across too strongly. My neighbour has his dog chained up for the most of the day and I feel this is wrong.
I'm drawn to the airdale terrior...any more suggestions appreciated

Airedales are no joke, they scare the hell out of me,lol. IMO not for the first time owner. They are not classed as a "guardian" breed but are used for police work and protection work. They have that independent terrier instinct and the owner needs to understand how to be one step ahead of them and how to anticipate their next move.

Also, many guardian "dogs' will flight before they fight. If you want a dog that wil protect you need to research breeders and lines. There has been so much overbreeding of these dogs for "thugs" and stuff that there protective nature has been compromised and most do not hold the self confidence to fight, JMO.

I would suggest an american working line GSD. They still are not totally f-up like the american showlines and do show some type of protective instincts but are not as "hard" and "dominant" as your West German working lines or DDR lines and other working lines.

I think with guidance from a trainer you can handle a dog such as the GSD, and as I said the american working lines are not as hard as other lines out there.

Last edited by GSDlover_4ever; 06-17-2006 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:28 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerRiot
Have you thought of this legally as well?

If a burglar enters your home, your dog attacks and injures the burglar - you can be charged b/c the incident happened on YOUR property??

Yeah, IMO that sucks. If someone is a threat in my house I SHOULD be able to defend myself but the bad guy can sue me if my dog bit them. Well, all I can say is I hope no one comes into my house with Caza (my 3 year old GSD) or Neeko (my 2 doberman) inside. That person couldnt press charges because they would be dead. Especially if my mother or I was in the house.

That is BS, really.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:42 PM
Top Dog

yep thats true. a burgular over here broke a window and cut him self on the broken glass in the house, he then sued the owner of the house.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess_poppy
yep thats true. a burgular over here broke a window and cut him self on the broken glass in the house, he then sued the owner of the house.
WOW, thats rediculous.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:28 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Thats nothing. A burgler was on the roof of a Hudson's Bay and fell through the Skylight. Security found him in the morning with a broken leg. He sues the bay and WON!

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 06-17-2006, 10:03 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennSLK
Thats nothing. A burgler was on the roof of a Hudson's Bay and fell through the Skylight. Security found him in the morning with a broken leg. He sues the bay and WON!

Thats crazy. Criminals have more rights than the "good" citizen. Let me not even get started about inmates, they have more rights than we do. Its insane.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:48 PM
Top Dog

I know you probably wouldn't go for it, but I have a Lhasa Apso. They're bred to alert their owners when something is not right. If anyone my dog doesn't know comes to the house, she barks her head off until she sees that we think this person is okay. But she's not a yapper. Very loving and loyal to our family.

I'm with everyone else who says that getting a dog that will rip the intruder to shreds probably isn't a good idea. If you have a dog trained like that, you can't leave them alone with your girls ever. You never know when they might make a move that the dog interprets as agressive and the consequences could be very scary and sad.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:15 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Quote:
If you have a dog trained like that, you can't leave them alone with your girls ever.
And why not!? A PROPERLY trained (enphisis on properly) gaurd/protection/SchH dog is fine around it's own kids. They know when there is a threat and when there isnt. They know their kids from other kids and unless the kid is being cruel to it there is no problem