Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-17-2006, 04:42 AM
Active Pup

Default Which breed?

Hello folks. I was recently the victim of a burgalry. I have 4 young children (the youngest is 2)and have never had a dog before. I have a large garden.

I now want a dog, one who's gentle and loving with the children, but who will rip the next burglar to shreds. I have asked many people and they all give me different answers according to their preferences. Can I have your recommendations - bitch or dog. Many thanks...
Old 06-17-2006, 07:33 AM
Dog Show Addict

Have you thought of this legally as well?

If a burglar enters your home, your dog attacks and injures the burglar - you can be charged b/c the incident happened on YOUR property??
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 06-17-2006, 08:34 AM
Active Pup

That is my last consideration. If these people false entry to my property I am quite prepared for them to get hurt - and why not? I don't want this to happen, I think the fear of being bitten will deter these scum bags. Thanks for the advice tho.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:54 AM
Dog Show Addict

Perhaps you should just invest in a home alarm system?

Dogs shouldn't be used as burglary tools.

Just in case you weren't aware - if a dog bites someone severely enough, it can be taken by animal control and destroyed.

Although I own a dog that can used in protection by the Police, I'm still very wary of leaving him at home because I know that he would be protective of his house and more then likely end up hurting someone if he thought they were a threat.
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 06-17-2006, 09:53 AM
Puppy Training Advice

SummerRiot is correct. Using a dog as a "watchdog" is cruel. Most places, if the dogs bites, even if the burglar was breaking in, will be put down. I would listen to SR's advice and get a great security system.

http://www.puppytrainingadvice.com
Old 06-17-2006, 10:20 AM
Walks into Mordor

What a horrible experience to go through!

I don't think there's anything cruel with getting a dog for security purposes. After all, many breeds were created specifically for guard dogs!

But there are other considerations. I don't mean to misinterpret or talk down to you, but your original post sounds like you just want a dog for security. You also need to be willing to make the dog a well-loved part of the family, not just a burglar deterrant. Dogs need that kind of support, especially protection breeds. Otherwise, they can develop severe aggression issues, even towards their owners. The dog must also be housed indoors with the rest of the family; if they don't feel the house is "theirs", they may not feel inclined to protect it.

Also, most guardian breeds don't get their protective instincts until they're 1-2 years old. It will be a long time before that puppy will start actually being protective.

I noticed that you've mentioned that you've never had a dog before. That could be a problem. Guardian breeds almost always require an experienced owner; they can be dominant, challenging at times and absolutely need good training. You cannot have a dog of that size and power and leave it untrained. Especially not with small children around.

These dogs also need intense socialization. Meaning that they need to be exposed to all kinds of situations and people when they're puppies. You need to take the pup to the park, the school, have people visit, etc. By being socialized, the puppy learns how to behave in normal, everyday settings. The puppy also learns to distinguish between a normal situation and a bad situation--essential for a guardian dog. You don't want the dog attacking when your children's friends come over.

You also need to get your dog from a good breeder...not a newspaper ad or a pet store. If you get a dog from a bad breeder, you could end up with a lot of health and temperament issues...both are disastrous in a guardian dog. Expect to pay a *lot* of money for a quality pup: $1,000-$2000, depending on the breed. Maybe even more.

These were only a few things you need to consider. I strongly consider getting some good books on raising dogs, and look up some information on guardian breeds. Call some good breeders and ask for information; most of them are more than willing to talk about their dogs. Puppies are a lot of work to raise, almost exactly like a human baby. Be sure you know what you're getting into before you take the plunge.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:22 AM
Active Pup

Thanks for that usefull post Gempress.

I do actually want a dog to love and appreciate. Not just as a 'burglar alarm' but also as a friend and companion to myself and my family (4 daughters!). I'm angry at being burgled and maybe this is coming across too strongly. My neighbour has his dog chained up for the most of the day and I feel this is wrong.
I'm drawn to the airdale terrior...any more suggestions appreciated
Old 06-17-2006, 10:35 AM
Top Dog

To be perfectly honest in my opinion I don't feel a "guardian" breed per se is necessary to be a burglar deterrent. Most dogs as they mature will alert and bark and in most situations that is more than enough to scare a would-be burglar away. I have 2 standard poodles who absolutely love everyone but sound the alarm when someone they don't know well approaches my driveway either on foot or in a car. In fact a couple of months ago they awoke me early on a Sun. morning and before I went to investigate I knew there had to be a stranger at the door. Sure enough there was - it was a State Trooper who was warning neighbors of a rash of break ins in the area and to see if I had seen anything suspicious the night before. He did chuckle and say that he was sure I'd have no problems as long as my dogs were at home.

I also don't think it is even necessary for it to be a large breed dog. Over the years I have met many small dogs who while loving and very obedient would definitely stop a burglar who is trying to be unnoticed.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:39 AM
Walks into Mordor

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlesmom
To be perfectly honest in my opinion I don't feel a "guardian" breed per se is necessary to be a burglar deterrent.
That is very true! Most dogs of any breed will at least bark and growl at a strange sound (unless they're just weirdos like my two barkless wonders ). An airdale does sound like it may be a good fit. But I don't know much about them, or about how suitable they are for a beginning owner.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:46 AM
Top Dog

As poodlesmom said any dog can be a good deterrent. One that barks. All dogs bark, some bark more than others LOL

Having a dog is HUGE responsibility especially when you have kids. They are, well expensive. Vet bills/shots, food, treats, accessories....lol

I may have gotten my dogs for free, but on average I spend close to $200 a month on them. Food/treats/training. Perhaps maybe even more now that I start to add up numbers.

Getting a dog is something you don't want to just jump into. As Gempress mentioned, spend some time looking for a good breeder. Know that the first year will require a lot of attention and training. Dogs are great! They really are but you have to be prepared mentally and financially before you should commit.

Good luck!