help, I forgot to refrigerate the clavamox!

Hello, I was wondering if someone out there knows the answer to this question.

The vet gave me Clavamox this morning when I picked up my pet Katie. She had her eye surgically removed yesterday due to many issues with glaucoma and cataracts going back four years.

When she gave me the Clavamox, she said it needs to be refrigerated. Well, in all the commotion, when I got home I forgot and left the meds out on the counter.

This is an antibiotic to prevent infection from developing in the area where the eye was removed. I have read the box for info on leaving it unrefrigerated for approximately 8 hours, but found nothing.

Right now it's after hours and I can't call the vet. I just hope I didn't ruin that medicine??:rolleyes:

L

LabBreeder

How long has it been out? Is there a number on the box you can call (besides the vet)?

Roxy's CD

Yeah, as LabBreeder said their should be a number on the box from people who made it, or look for a website or something.

Sorry but I have no idea :)

Julie

I am back again.
You could also call a pharmacy and ask about the time it was not refrigerated. They could at least tell you if it is still effective.

I would guess........if it was in your house, it would be fine. But if it was in a hot car, I bet it would be less effective. But that is just my uneducated guess. :D

bubbatd

I agree with all the above.... 8 hours is long.. but as long as it was still cool, i'd say it's ok. I'd check though ! Let us know how the surgery went... poor baby !

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Are they eyedrops or pills? I've not heard of the pills needing refridgeration. Clavamox is a fairly common antibiotic too; brand name of doggie amoxicillian.

update on clavamox

Thanks for your input everyone.

I spoke with the vet this morning and they said the liquid Clavamox had probably gone bad during that 8 hours of sitting out on the counter. They said it probably lost some of its strength and may still be use-able, but due to the fact that this was major surgery and if she caught an infection it could be fatal, they issued a fresh prescription in tablet form.

The tablets do not need to be refrigerated but they are heat and light sensitive, so you don't want to leave them next to a window.

Aside from that, my girl had a rough night and whimpered, cried, paced the house and shivered from 3 a.m. to 6 a.m. I brought her in to the vet first thing this morning to see if maybe she was experiencing pain. The vet said her vital signs are good so this may be a case of anxiety or nerves, since she tends to be high strung anyway. She has been through an ordeal after all.

We are still only 48 hours since the surgery was done; this is the rough period. My hope is that she will feel a little bit better with each day that passes. She is still whimpering and shivering a bit. It's breaking my heart to listen to these sad little whimpers and cries and feeling like there's nothing I can do. She is nervous and doesn't want me to comfort her which is unusual.

Fortunately I am a teacher on summer vacation, because otherwise I couldn't be here to keep an eye on her.

Adding to my burden is the fact that my other terrier, Elizabeth, is passing blood clots in her urine. She is on antibiotics too but the vet says she is seeing "transitional cells" in the urine, which suggests bladder cancer. From what I've read on the web, bladder cancer in dogs tends to be aggressive with a short life span (3-9 months) after diagnosis. We will know more on Monday after the ultrasound. So I'm already bracing myself for that.

Anyway, thanks again for the suggestions and input.

Your Clavamox pills should be kept in the wrap they came in until they are ready to be used too.

I'm so sorry for your doggies. I hope your terrier is ok and your Katie heals quickly.

Pam

Staff online

Members online