Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-19-2006, 06:11 PM
Int CH - $uperBitch

brandis sire has the look that i love and would really like in my next sheltie,
unless i import from the U.S which is highly unlikely it will be harder to get hold of a dog with such an appearance.
Its ok though, as both lines title in the show ring, but i might be able to find a line in the UK that has US imports.

i dont mind the foxy expression and look,
who knows, maybe further on in my life i will get an import from american kennels, lol

Old 07-19-2006, 06:12 PM
Int CH - $uperBitch

do you show brandi btw?

Old 07-19-2006, 06:18 PM
Top Dog

Oh your dog is beautiful!! I was wondering what makes some of their ears point up and some for the tip to bend over? My dogs ears are straight up.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:36 PM
and Fozzie B!

Shelties are sooo pretty & are very sweet, funny dogs. I was actually on the verge of looking into a blue boy a few months ago, because a friend had a litter from working parents ;P I dunno if I could handle so much hair, though!

Absolutely meet both parents, and preferably look for parents whose temperaments have been tested in some way. You do *not* want a shy Sheltie, it has become pretty common in the breed, and the breed is not meant to be excessively shy. You want a pup that is raised in-home and thoroughly socialized by the breeder, and make sure the pups are kept with Mom until at least 8 weeks. If I were you, I would totally require parents & lineage that has been proven on stock, but that's me ^_^ I feel proving herding ability is more important for preserving ANY herding breed than conformation. I rank temperament/rearing/socializing 1st, soundness/health/herding ability 2nd, and conformation 3rd - although all of these points must be included into any reputable breeder's program.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 07-19-2006, 06:41 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

I think the biggest hearbreak for a Sheltie breeder is that absolutely GORGEOUS oversized dog.

Good luck in your search!

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 07-19-2006, 06:52 PM
Herding dogs rock!!!

I'm so glad to find some sheltie lovers on here This is my favorite breed ever and I will probably always have to have at least one. They are like potato chips
Old 07-19-2006, 07:28 PM
Active Pup

Here is a link with all the sheltie colors and examples of all of them

http://www.laureate.ca/sheltiecolours.html
Old 07-19-2006, 07:37 PM
Active Pup

Unfortunately Brandi's show career was cut short at the age of two. She did not pass her hip exam to qualify for breeding by OFA. She tested only fair and the breeders in our area will only breed dogs testing good or excellent. She has been spayed and is now a pampered house pet.
Old 07-19-2006, 11:05 PM
Top Dog

Hey not to repeat myself be can anyone tell me about their ears? How come some stand up pointed and some flop over at the top? Is there any reasoning behind this? Is one right and the other wrong?

See? My old man Max's ears stand straight up and the others I have seen here don't:

Old 07-19-2006, 11:27 PM
Dog Show Addict

Its all in how the ears are formed as well, and how well they are delbt with at a young age - ie. gluing/taping.

Both are shelties are from the same litter, Crosbie has "picture perfect" Sheltie ears, hes SUCH a beautiful sheltie.. BUT hes oversized... Our breeders were almost in tears when they measured him out before he was nuetered. He also doesn't have a nice backend or tail though.

Our little female has semi-pricked ears. We tried gluing them when she was younger but either Riot, or herself ripped them out.

We once had a litter of pups, where some were too heavy with ears, others were perfect.

You can't do too much with "heavy" ears though.
Ares
Princess aka Tettles