Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-22-2006, 12:30 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevinski
they are both gorgeous dogs Mellisa W!
i was just wondering what is a bi-blue? like what does the blue stand for, same wid the black,
some of the colours are so confusing lol
i no what a tri-factor sable is i think its a sheltie whos parents where a sable and a tri
i might be wrong, please correct me if i am lol
What the "Merleing Gene" does is make certain parts of the fur lighter (or it makes the topcoat lighter so that the undercoat shows through lighter, I don't rememeber exactly which.) It doesn't effect the whole coat, though, so a blue will always technically have *some* black as well.
A bi-black is just what it sounds like... two colours, black & white. So then the bi-blue is the same, but with the merle gene, so they're blue & white!

A tri-colour is black, white, and tan... and a blue merle is a tri-coloured sheltie but with the merle - in theory they'd turn out blue, white, & tan!

Sables, since you said you probably wanted one, are typically brown, white, & black - but even within the sable, they can vary! Auggie is a blonde sable/apricot sable/red sable or whatever else you might call it... he has very very little black on him. OTOH, my sister's shelties are both "shaded sables" - they have soooo much black on them! Sometimes it can be hard to tell when they're puppies how much black they'll have when they get older. Auggie had a black stripe down his back that we expected to expand and darken up - but, surprise, it actually vanished instead! Er, whoops! He also lost some of the white he had on his face... he had a white lightning-bolt mark on his forehead (we jokingly said he was Harry Potter) that now has turned into a tiny bit of white that you can only see if you get really close and know what to look for! =P
So be prepared when you find a breeder and pick your puppy... your puppy's appearance will likely change when he gets older!

Hope that helps... it definitely can be confusing, LOL! Personally I want a blue merle for my next sheltie. =3

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-22-2006, 12:46 PM
Dog Show Addict

Aww a new Sheltie owner Welcome to the board

Melissa W - I LOVE the bi-black Shelties.. one kicked Riots butt in Puppy Group EVERY SINGLE TIME lol It was a stunning little guy though. I wanted to chat to the owner about him, but Riot had his next class right after.
I'm sure I"ll see him again and try and snap a picture next time lol
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 06-22-2006, 12:56 PM
Int CH - $uperBitch

yay!

we're getting a small sheltie club on here lol!
accept i dont really own one lol!
but i am going to lol!

Old 06-22-2006, 04:33 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie
What the "Merleing Gene" does is make certain parts of the fur lighter (or it makes the topcoat lighter so that the undercoat shows through lighter, I don't rememeber exactly which.) It doesn't effect the whole coat, though, so a blue will always technically have *some* black as well.
A bi-black is just what it sounds like... two colours, black & white. So then the bi-blue is the same, but with the merle gene, so they're blue & white!

A tri-colour is black, white, and tan... and a blue merle is a tri-coloured sheltie but with the merle - in theory they'd turn out blue, white, & tan!

Sables, since you said you probably wanted one, are typically brown, white, & black - but even within the sable, they can vary! Auggie is a blonde sable/apricot sable/red sable or whatever else you might call it... he has very very little black on him. OTOH, my sister's shelties are both "shaded sables" - they have soooo much black on them! Sometimes it can be hard to tell when they're puppies how much black they'll have when they get older. Auggie had a black stripe down his back that we expected to expand and darken up - but, surprise, it actually vanished instead! Er, whoops! He also lost some of the white he had on his face... he had a white lightning-bolt mark on his forehead (we jokingly said he was Harry Potter) that now has turned into a tiny bit of white that you can only see if you get really close and know what to look for! =P
So be prepared when you find a breeder and pick your puppy... your puppy's appearance will likely change when he gets older!

Hope that helps... it definitely can be confusing, LOL! Personally I want a blue merle for my next sheltie. =3
Well said!
Old 06-22-2006, 04:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerRiot
Aww a new Sheltie owner Welcome to the board

Melissa W - I LOVE the bi-black Shelties.. one kicked Riots butt in Puppy Group EVERY SINGLE TIME lol It was a stunning little guy though. I wanted to chat to the owner about him, but Riot had his next class right after.
I'm sure I"ll see him again and try and snap a picture next time lol
Yeah, the bi-blacks are really sharp! I would love to see a pic.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:27 PM
Int CH - $uperBitch

btw sorry i keep using the same post, but its just easier then cloggin up the forum with lots of posts on the same subject.

ok well since some of you guys love shelties first i thought i would share some of my favourite links which you guys might like:

my favourite!: http://surftosheltie.se/

really good too!: http://www.dogpatch.org/sheltie/

those two are my favourite! i've got loads but there mostly to clubs and breeder lists, and magazines, and theres links to most of them on those sites!

and i have another question

ok now this might sound silly but as i am wanting to show my future sheltie i have been looking at pics of some CH and i have found alot of difference in them

mostly in coat type and build i guess:

i have found two kinds really

1. the long coat which is close to the floor with a sort of dome round the face and more stronger face

2. shorter coat and more foxy face.

i prefer the first kind myself
and at first i thought it was because the foxy ones were girls and they had less of a superb show coat.

i will find some pics to show you the difference i mean.

Old 06-27-2006, 01:39 PM
Int CH - $uperBitch

this is the type with the more foxy expression

this is the type with the stronger face imo

you might not be able to see any difference but just thought i would mention it lol,

Old 07-19-2006, 11:53 AM
Int CH - $uperBitch

sorry gor bring up an old post but i needed too cause my post is relevent to my last comment in here,

OMG i just made a huge breakthrough, well i may not seem tht big too you guys but i just read this article tht explained it to me and made everything soo clear,

i have this picture tht shows the difference i just trying to upload it
i just found out that the dogs with the look i prefered were from american show lines, and the dogs with the more foxy expression are from UK lines

Old 07-19-2006, 05:59 PM
Active Pup

Brandi is from Grandgable Kennels in Canada. She is from ch Grandgables It's Show Time and ch Grandgables Foxy Lady. Her lines do trace back to Austrailian kennels as well.

This is Brandi's sire

I don't have a picture of Foxy Lady to share.

Here is Brandi, she is Grandgables She's a Show Girl
Old 07-19-2006, 06:03 PM
Top Dog

i love the foxey ones so cute, our second cousons have a sheltey, very pretty