Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-13-2006, 10:59 PM
Kiss&Tell

Shelties are sooo cute. I had one for a week when I was little. My mom thought he was too hyper so she gave him away
My page: http://www.myspace.com/irishdancer2
Old 06-13-2006, 11:02 PM
Dog Show Addict

Hey Femke!

You'll have to watch Pennys coat in the summer time because it can "rust" out and get a red tinge to it. Which is usually the hair getting a little bit fried and dyed lol So just make sure she doesn't spend hours in the direct sun!
Its definately shedding season for our Shelties. Jada blew her coat last week and now she is running around slightly bald lol
Crosbie is just starting to loose chunks in his now. Females tend to blow their coat more then males. Males is about once a year, and females is about twice a year depending on heat cycles.

All three of our dogs is on Fromm dog food for the summer/fall months, then more then likely going back to Innova Adult for the winter months. They went off the taste of Innova, but its such a good food we are going to try them on it again.

You can PM me anytime you have a Sheltie Q I'm more then happy to spread the word on Shelties hehe
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 06-13-2006, 11:59 PM
and Spy.

Auscat,
Early is always good .
Just telling him that he should enjoy his current puppy.

~Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:51 AM
Int CH - $uperBitch

Talking

Harley is definetly my priority at the moment, i want to do obediance and agility with him as well, but hes a family dog, the sheltie would be mine and like i said it wont be for another 2 years and that a minimum so it could be more.

Summer thanks for all you info!!!

But unfortunatly i live in the UK and over here the standard is more strict about height, with a inch out being a major fault.

heres wat it says:Ideal height at withers: dogs: 37 cms (141/2 ins); bitches: 36 cms (14 ins). More than 21/2 cms (1 in) above or below these heights highly undesirable

I definetly want a sable or with a colour like jadas cause shes gorgeous. I don't want a merle for my first sheltie as there is more health issues and the coat can change with age and go out of standard, as only cetain markings are acceptible on a merle, so at the mo i looking at a sable or tri-factor sable, maybe a tri-colour but it depends on the kennel i go for.

Old 06-14-2006, 03:17 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerRiot
Hey Femke!

You'll have to watch Pennys coat in the summer time because it can "rust" out and get a red tinge to it. Which is usually the hair getting a little bit fried and dyed lol So just make sure she doesn't spend hours in the direct sun!
oy so that is what's happened! I remember the other thread a while ago about how a lot of tri shelties don't really have a black black coat no more, but Penny always had! up until she went through her first heat and then all of a sudden in the middle on her back she got a big rust spot. It's gotten worse which I figure is probably from the sun then. Good thing she isn't a showdog hehe. And thanks for telling me about the coat thing because i was getting kind of worried with the amount of hair she was losing. I started looking at pictures of her parents and saw how much hair they had! but that was still during winter time so that makes sense now. She's not getting bald spots or anything but her coat is just a looot thinner than it was. thanks again!

and sorry steve didn't mean to use your thread for my own info!

Thanks to Keyodie!
Old 06-14-2006, 03:24 PM
Int CH - $uperBitch

thts okay!!!!!
its all about shelties soo anything goes lol!

Old 06-21-2006, 09:44 AM
Int CH - $uperBitch

btw how many people on here actually have shelties and what colour????

Old 06-21-2006, 11:47 AM
LabBreeder

stevinski - FYI: just because a sire and dam are CH and within the height (required by UK shows) doesn't mean the pups will come out that way.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:01 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevinski
I don't want a merle for my first sheltie as there is more health issues and the coat can change with age and go out of standard, as only cetain markings are acceptible on a merle, so at the mo i looking at a sable or tri-factor sable, maybe a tri-colour but it depends on the kennel i go for.
Is that really true? I've never heard that before. Coat color should be unrelated to other genetic defects, right?

Skye is a bi-blue. Oh, and he has one ear that goes up and one that goes down.

Old 06-21-2006, 12:39 PM
LabBreeder

WOW Skye is beautiful!

But yes, some breeds have coat color related issues. Yellow Labs, for example, are more prone to sun burn, skin conditions, skin cancer from sun exposure, etc. due to the light pigment. (Or so I've heard!)