Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-13-2006, 03:37 PM
Int CH - $uperBitch

Smile Shelties

actually i have been looking at shelties for about 2 months now, i would like one to do conformation, agility, obediance, mainly and maybe tracking, but i want to get from a kennel that has titles in the first 3!, i ofcourse still only have a small puppy so this wouldnt be for another atleast 2 years, and ofcourse all decent show kennels have waiting lists, especially for first pick of a show prospect and apparently its goin to be had for me to find someone who has titles in conformation, obediance, and has health testing.

And Summer you probably dont no it but all the information you have put on this board about shelties has really helped me to learn alot about the breed and it just makes me want one more,

the only bit that gets me in the standard is the height

Ideal height at withers: dogs: 37 cms (141/2 ins); bitches: 36 cms (14 ins). More than 21/2 cms (1 in) above or below these heights highly undesirable.

i mean it must be pretty common for a dog to come about a inch out, but then i spose if both the parents had CH and i got first pick i should get one that comes in the guidlines right?

i want to compete in agility, obedience, conformation, tracking, and do stuff like good citizen.

so people with shelties just like tell me bout them and stuff! i'm pratically decided on shelties anyway lol!

although does anyone have a picture of a shelties standing next to someone because i am getting confused with like the size.

Thanks!!!!!

Old 06-13-2006, 03:39 PM
Int CH - $uperBitch

also can you guys like explain ear bracing because its essentail for the show ring isnt it?

Old 06-13-2006, 03:44 PM
but please call me Aus.

I love those furry little guys.

Here are some pictures of Shelties beside people:

Old 06-13-2006, 03:47 PM
Int CH - $uperBitch

yuh thats wat i thought cause this women had a sheltie pup and this adult dog and i said your shelties are soo cute and then my mate goeslike lassie, and i go lassie was a rough collie, and the lady goes her adult dog was a rough collie and i was like, i c , cause the dog wasnt that big, and i was like ok

Old 06-13-2006, 05:39 PM
and Spy.

Stevinski,

Didn't you just get a puppy ?

If so, then why not concentrate on your current dog as opposed to getting a new one? And if you must, there are plenty in shelters.

www.petfinder.com

~Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:43 PM
but please call me Aus.

I believe he was thinking of a sheltie for a future dog, not any time soon. There is nothing wrong with early research.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:19 PM
Show Dog

I can give you this about sizes from my book:

Described as a small breed, the dog should stand between 13 and 16 inches at the shoulder. Note: height is determined by a line perpendicular to the ground from the top of the shoulder blades. Disqualification - heights below or above the desired range are to be disqualified from the show ring.

Not sure where abouts you are but in cm's that is: 33 cm - 41 cm.

Penny is 17 inches (43 cm) at the shoulder (measured her again lol) for a female sheltie that is just way too tall, you can see the difference in her head too I find her muzzle seems a lot bigger than some of the dainty tiny shelties I've seen around.

I think a lot of it has to do with getting a good breeder! I'm going back to mine to (finally!) pick up Penny's papers and plan to have another look around because from what I remember Penny's parents are about the same size as she is.

If I were you when you get closer to wanting to get your sheltie I'd go around and talk to different breeders, go to shows, that way you really get an idea of what they are supposed to look like and how tall/small they can be.

Penny on my lap.

Thanks to Keyodie!
Old 06-13-2006, 06:24 PM
but please call me Aus.

Awww, that's a cute picture.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:29 PM
Dog Show Addict

Hey Steve!

Quote:
And Summer you probably dont no it but all the information you have put on this board about shelties has really helped me to learn alot about the breed and it just makes me want one more,
hehe Aww, I'm glad I could help you out a bit!
Sheltie Ear gluing is ESSENTIAL for a future show puppy. BUT you have to glue them correctly, or you'll mess up the ear structure for later on.
SO.. get a VERY knowledgable breeder in this. Also, after the initial gluing.. the ears do come loose and need continual touch ups.
I have a video of "how to glue a shelties ears" that I made for cowgirl that I posted. I'll find the link and post in here for you.
Its just a rough idea of how you should do it. Riots rolling around in the background distracting Jada lol And I couldn't film the actual "gluing" process only the before and after with explinations inbetween lol I was the only one doing the videoing.. ohh not to mention there are spelling mistakes in it hahaha
http://youtube.com/watch?v=H8nQuciBSYg

Anyways, about the heigh issues. The breeders can take an "educated guess" on what the dogs finishing height might be from measurements when they are a certain age.
Believe it or not.. Crosbie wasn't supposed to go overstandard. Hes now 1.5" above standard. lol Thats a BIG sheltie
You have to look at the Shelties mom and dad for personality as well. Becarful not to get a puppy from a timid or shy mother. Shelties are sometimes known to be fairly timid if not properly socilized as a young puppy.

I think you are in the States.. this is taken straight off of the AKC website for size standards for Shelties.

Quote:
Size, Proportion, Substance
The Shetland Sheepdog should stand between 13 and 16 inches at the shoulder. Note: Height is determined by a line perpendicular to the ground from the top of the shoulder blades, the dog standing naturally, with forelegs parallel to line of measurement.

Disqualifications-- Heights below or above the desired size range are to be disqualified from the show ring.
Showing Shelties is touch competition over here. At Riots last show there were around 12 Shelties entered. There were only 5 Belgians entered. The good thing is that if you get a nice Sheltie with good structure and movement, you will gain points quickly. If you have a sheltie that has one flaw such as a bad looking stop(part on their head) and your against other shelties that have minimal flaws, it will be extremely hard to rank in points towards their CH title.
Our breeders think that Jada will achieve her CH title, but because she is a rather "plain" Sheltie with no fancy markings about her and a foxy face it might be harder for her, just meaning it will take longer.

Although, if you get a nice looking Sheltie, you can kick butt in the show ring!
Riot has been beat out by a Sheltie twice in group placings! lol Judges LOVE Shelties lmao

AKC standards

If Crosby was smaller, he would have placed VERY well.

Another thing if you want to show your Sheltie.. hook up with a professional handler/groomer for a Sheltie. It takes HOURS to properly prep a Sheltie for the show ring! lol SOO much bodifyer in that mane of theirs lol
There is also specific ways to trim their fur as well to either hide or accent certain faults or advantages.

Quote:
, agility, obediance, mainly and maybe tracking,
Shelties do VERY well at agility, as well as obedience. Obedience takes consistancy along with quantity. For a properly trained obedience Sheltie it takes practicing each day on certain things for your CD, CDX or UD. Even if it is only 5 minutes.. just always finish on a good note
With Shelties.. comes consistant BARKING! lol If you can train your Sheltie to quite "talking back to you" during Agility, this will aid you more. The more they bark, they more they dont really have their full attention on you. Just something to remember.
As for tracking, i'm sure they could do it. Its just something that they weren't bred for and I think it will be highly unlikely(yet could be possible) to find a kennel that has AN, CD,CH AND Tracking titles. I'm sure they are out there though.
Mostly kennels concentrade on Obedience and Conformation with the occational Agility.

Any other questions that I missed?

OHHH forgot to add as well. Have you decided on what colour of Sheltie you'd like? There are many acceptable colours to choose from.

Here is from the AKC
Quote:
Color
Black(tri), blue merle, and sable (ranging from golden through mahogany); marked with varying amounts of white and/or tan.
Faults-- Rustiness in a black or a blue coat. Washed-out or degenerate colors, such as pale sable and faded blue. Self-color in the case of blue merle, that is, without any merling or mottling and generally appearing as a faded or dilute tri-color. Conspicuous white body spots. Specimens with more than 50 percent white shall be so severely penalized as to effectively eliminate them from competition. Disqualification-- Brindle.
For Sables, the different shades of the tan colour, depend on what colour "factored" them out. For example. Jada and Crosbie are from a "tri-factored Sable bitch). Meaning, their grandmother was a tri, but their mother was a sable. This is why you see such a dark colouring on Crosbie and jada when you see them in pics. They have "almost black" streaks in places. A pure sable won't have such a dark overlay on them.
Blues are also allowed to have blue eyes.
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 06-13-2006, 09:00 PM
Show Dog

awwww summer your babies are so patient getting their ears glued!!! I just loved watching that video. We tried with Penny but she seemed soooo annoyed by it that we decided to just let it go, we weren't planning on showing her anyway. First they stayed up for a while, then one went down, then they switched but in the end they both stayed down. A sheltie down the street from us has prick ears, she didn't like the ear-glueing thing either but hers never went down anymore. Both of your shelties are just gorgeous! Penny's coat is starting to look quite awful!! We haven't changed her food or anything, maybe it's just coz it's summer and she's shedding quite a bit? I love crosbie's coat! They both look awesome! What food do you have them on?
Okay will stop asking you questions now... hehe.

Thanks to Keyodie!