Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 06-13-2006, 10:58 AM
Evil Kitty taco eater

Jack russels can be a hand full
Are you crating the pup? Do you have a safe area for the pup to play in?
Have you tried taking a short brisk walk when really stressed?
Endorphins help with depression.

Having a pup is much like having a little infant/toddler all in the same package.
There will be times where you feel like you just cant get over that hump and pass on to where it is easier. With consistant training you will. Puppies are not easy to raise but can be big fun!

Where am I going? And why am I in this hand basket!!!?
Old 06-13-2006, 11:00 AM
Terrified New Puppy Owner

I've been on prescribed prozac for over 10 years now - tried many, many times to come off but ended up in a black pit of despair each time. Had conunselling at the beginning which helped. I had actually recently got to a pretty good point in my life when I felt like I could try reducing my meds again so it seemed like now was as good a time as any to get a pup......
I do lots of exercise and been going to yoga for about 4 weeks - this sudden turn about only happened the day the puppy came home....
Old 06-13-2006, 11:02 AM

We are crating him and he's doing really well with it - doesn't pee in it after the first night and he seems to like being in it. Like I said, its not the pup thats the problem its the owner!!
It would appear that the onyl way through this is to face my fears and deal with them isn't it - if I give in and send him back the problem will still be there I guess - it just might bury itself until the next time (whatever the next trigger will be,,.,)
Old 06-13-2006, 11:38 AM
Big Dog

First of all, I just want to say that I'm so sorry you're feeling so badly right now. I myself have not suffered from depression, but both my mother and mother in law have, so I have an idea of what you're going through.

What I want to add to this is that, although you're feeling down right now, remember all the unconditional love a puppy and/or dog can give. Maybe instead of focusing your attention on whether or not you can do this, focus on simply having a strong loving and fun bond with the dog. Take puppy for a walk. Play with puppy. Watch puppy take a nap. Instead of being overwhelmed with the feeling of responsibility, you might feel more enjoyment from these kinds of things.

If I were you, I would give it a bit more time. I agree with the others who have concern that the puppy be able to get a good home if you decide to give it up, but I think, if you look at the positive and fun aspects of puppy ownership instead of the looming and sometimes overwhelming responsibility you might start to feel a little better.

Will the puppy (his name is Rogan right?) sit in your lap at all? That always make me feel better when Kovi curls up in my lap and goes to sleep. I bet he would enjoy that because he can sense that you're feeling sad and I would be willing to bet anything that he instinctively wants to help you feel better, dogs have a real power for that kind of thing.

Well I hope you're feeling better soon. Please take care!
Old 06-13-2006, 11:45 AM

Thanks Kelly - you talk a lot of sense. Rogan saw me crying earlier today and climbed on to my lap for a cuddle which was nice. The kids have seen me crying and are being really good but are anxious for me to reassure them that I won't be sending him back. I think this is something deeper manifesting itself as a reaction to the puppy and I hope that it will pass but only time will tel.....
Old 06-13-2006, 11:45 AM
Puppy Dog

This will all just take time. Personally I don't think you should have even bought the thing if you knew that last time you got a dog and, for no apparent reason, you started panicking. Just tell yourself next time you have an attack, that the dog hasn't done anything. I think you are displacing the stress you feel from your day to day life onto the dog as a form of trying to deal with it. Even though you know that the dog has done nothing it is a subconscious thing. You will do fine with a little time and support from the family. You do not have to love the dog right away. These things take time. Go at your own pace. Most new mothers don't "love" their children right after they are born. This is nothing differant. Get to know each other on your own terms and time frame.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:51 AM

I have thought the same thing - maybe I shouldn't have gone into this knowing what happened last time, however, we prepared really well this time, I have done so much reading, I have bought books, sought advice, called the vets etc all before buying him and not a panicky thought crossed my mind. It didn't hit me until the morning on the day after we brought him home and its all snowballed from there.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:39 PM

My Dad has just hit the nail on the head - he reckons its not the actual dog its the feeling of 'oh I've taken on one more thing and its just too much' coupled with my previous tendencies towards depression its just knocked me off balance. Any tips?
Old 06-13-2006, 01:43 PM
Top Dog

Now we sound as though we are getting somewhere.

Change is a big thing for someone that suffers from Depression.
I think that the best thing you could do is spend as much time with the dog as you can "Bonding", try to relax a little.

Take each day as it comes, give it a week or two and hopefully you will look back and wonder what you were so anxious about

Thanks BP
Old 06-13-2006, 01:55 PM
Evil Kitty taco eater

I have and still do suffer from depression. I was on 100mg of Zoloft daily. I have quit taking them since this past winter we couldnt afford insurance on us anymore. The meds are more than I want to pay for. I have been coping ok. Some days better than others.
I get a motherly feeling with pups/dogs. I love cuddling and playing. I do that even more when I have been extra grumpy with them. It helps me...not sure about them?

This is what I do when I am extra upset......
I take a time out. I will go to the computer and play a game or come here. Go next door and play a game of cards. Take deep breaths slowly. Sometimes I even lock my door so no one can come in. I know that me being upset isnt doing anyone any good. I try to do something different. Distracting myself in fits of emotions helps me. I have even gone as far as going into the bathroom and force myself to make funny faces in the mirror. Sounds wierd but it helps.

Try this........
Make a list of 10 things you like to do that dont take much time.
Make a list of 10 things that makes you feel at peace whether its a certain place or a certain person.
Ok When you are feeling upset choose one of these 20 things to help you get out of the moment. This will allow you time to think about the situation and be more reasonable with yourself and others.

This is a exercise I learned in counseling that I still use to this day and if you practice doing this it will help

Where am I going? And why am I in this hand basket!!!?