Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 06-13-2006, 04:04 AM
Terrified New Puppy Owner

Default I can;t stop crying

Some of you may have helped me out yesterday with my 'Help new puppy in the house' thread. Well it doesn;t get any better, today I can't stop crying thinking I've made a huge mistake and wishing I could undo it all but I can't - all my kids love the puppy and its only me that can know how I'm feeling. I keep trying to think of ways to get out of all of this but there aren;t any....I can't even go to bed and have a good cry as I have to look after him.....please help. Did anyone else feel like this?
Old 06-13-2006, 04:26 AM
Top Dog

I have never felt like this.
Sorry to know that you are
If i ask you this, you don't have to answer ok.
Have you suffered with depression in the past?
As i said, don't answer if you feel that you can't.
I am just trying to understand a little more about you.

Thanks BP
Old 06-13-2006, 07:11 AM

Spot on - I have indeed had depression - I had post natal depression after the birth of my first child 13 years ago and have suffered periodically ever since. Maybe this is contributing to how I feel now?
Old 06-13-2006, 07:47 AM
Big Dog

I feel really bad for you feeling this way . I have gone through depression myself and it really colors the way you feel about everything.

Maybe the pup being a baby is somehow an unconscious reminder of the way you were feeling when you had your own baby years before and it will pass in time.

As I had said I felt and still feel upset but not as often.I sometimes wonder why I got a dog and wish sometimes I hadnt. The feeling is not as strong though as it was.

The only other thing I can say and I hope others dont get upset with me on this. MAYBE and just maybe you have made a mistake in getting the pup right now .Maybe you should consider getting a kitten as they are way less time consuming than a pup. You can leave them a lot longer as well and they dont tie you down as much. Maybe its just a matter of having the wrong kind of pet.

Lets face it you have to enjoy the pet too and be happy not just your kids.I am sure if you talked to them about it they would understand.

The pup will in time sense your feelings as well and you have to consider this also.

I hope this helps you somehow. I hope it all works out for you whatever you decide.

[IMG][/IMG]
Casey
Old 06-13-2006, 07:50 AM

You are saying all the things that I have felt too - we already have several other pets whom I love (rabbits, hamsters, lizards) but my main concern is my kids and my step kids. We have already tried before to get a dog (3 years or so ago) and I brought it home and immediately knew I couldn't cope so he went back to the breeder, that was really tough on them and I really dont think I can put them through it again. Its a lose lose situation at the moment.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:42 AM
Show Dog

Well, this does sound serious, and think of it this way, if you bring pup back soon, he'll definitely find a good home. But if you wait, and things get worse, the pup will have much less chance at a good life. You aren't going to like this any better as time goes by,and your feelings matter too.
And also, let your kids know you love them ,but as Mom you're not perfect,and though you'd like for them to have this, it may just be something they'll have to wait on, maybe even till they're grown up,and ready to do it on their own.
They'll be ok, at least they have some pets,I know plenty of kids who have none, and really want something.
I second the kitty idea, you could easily get 1 or 2,and they're so much easier to care for than any other animal I can think of. Also a lot of fun for the kids to play with.
Just remember,not everyone can keep dogs, my dh is purely a cat person, I'm the one who likes a variety...
Old 06-13-2006, 08:50 AM

Do you really not think it will get better then? I just keep hoping and hoping that the feelings will pass but if its linked to previous depressions then maybe it won't......... I don;t know what to do for the best.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:52 AM

As an add on we are definitely not cat people I'm afraid - my husband would definitely not want a cat so that isn't an option here. The dog is so sweet and lovely and I really want to make a success of this but I can't see how at the moment.....
Old 06-13-2006, 08:54 AM
Top Dog

I would wait a bit before giving up. As I said in the other thread, I was just the same way, and it took me several weeks to feel better, but it did. And I have had depression too. Puppies are just a huge responsibility. You'll see that as they grow up, get trained etc, it goes much better.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:58 AM

So do you really think I can do this ?- every time I think of giving him up that makes me cry too for the sake of my kids but on the other hand it would feel like a relief for ME. I wish I could tell the kids how I'm feeling but at the ages of 7 - 13 I don't think they'll get it. Fran did you really feel like giving up at the beginning? Did gradually get better or did it just happen?