Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 06-13-2006, 07:23 AM
Big Dog

Is the pup crated in the day as well as at night? I guess it seems like a lot of time in the crate but I know you probaly have no choice as you have to work in the day and get some sleep at night.

I found that I had to just let Zoe cry and eventually she would poop out and go to sleep. It is hard to do but it will make it easier in the end.

[IMG][/IMG]
Casey
Old 06-13-2006, 08:08 AM
Top Dog

Default move her crate

Try to move her crate to somewhere where you can't hear her! When we got Wrigley if he tried to fuss and after I took him out tried to fuss more in the garage the crate went (now don't think I'm cruel if it was 70 in our house it was 60 in the garage)---we only had to do that a couple of times..no more crying!
Old 06-13-2006, 02:51 PM
Active Pup

Thumbs up THANKS and an update

Hi, Thank you all for the ideas, the plans and the advice! We tried the let 'er cry thing last night. Now you need to know that I was never a mother who let her baby cry so this is VERY hard! (I am sure you all can relate!) We got up with her at around 1:30 and she peed outside. I put her back in her crate and she fussed a bit. I just kept saying "Pemi, you are fine, now go to sleep" and in about 7 minutes, she did! (Isn't she smart!??)She fussed again at around 3:30, but I did just spoke to her and she calmed down. Even tired old daddy said that it was progress!

Now, about the potty training, we are leashing her in the house, sort of the velcro dog technique...so she never has a chance to go inside. I will let you know how it goes!

I appreciate the reassurances, because we were beginning to think we shuld have had an "only dog".

Wendy (and Cocoa and Pemi)
Old 06-13-2006, 03:34 PM
Top Dog

Great! I'm glad it worked. As someone mentioned if she's being crated during the day and night, perhaps when she gets better with the housebreaking thing, you could just get her a bed for your bedroom as opposed to the crate. That will take a couple of hours of the "crate" per day.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:05 PM
Active Pup

Default More...

RE the crate training -- we are essentially using the crate as a housebreaking and safety tool till she is a bit older. Our 6 year old dog has not been in a crate since about 18 months old. For the summer (starting the 21st) we will all be home all day, so I am hoping that it will help her potty issues to have someone with her 90 % of the time. Again, our house is very open concept (and quite big) so limiting her space to roam is difficult -- hence the crate -- and she climbs out of the puppy yard! ARGH! She is in it while we are all at school and again to sleep at night so...from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. during the day and from about 11 p.m. to 5:30 a.m....I already feel guilty enough,so be gentle!!!

Not crazy about the crate...maybe she can sense that!

Hoping for a sleepy night tonight...