Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-13-2006, 11:20 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Hmm, I've always had mutts and I really think that Buddy is my heart dog, I am sooo in love with that little guy! I grew up with dogs all my life and well, I can't really compare any to Buddy.

But, my heart breed is a Great Dane. Such beautiful creatures, crappy short life spans, but beautiful none the less. I can't wait to have one.

Old 06-13-2006, 11:42 AM
overdogged

i don't think i've owned enough breeds to be able to say for sure what my "heart breed" truly is. there are so many breeds i'm interested in and hope to own someday.

i have two pit bulls right now. i love these dogs more than anything, but neither one is filling my specific needs right now, so who knows. i suspect i would be happier with a breed designed to work with a person, instead of a terrier.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:04 PM
Active Pup

I've grew up with lurchers and greyhounds and i know i will always have lurchers now, but ever since i can remember i absolutely loved borzoi's and admired evry picture i saw of them, i did lots of research on them, i even went to a dog show to meet them in the flesh and that was crufts. I wanted one so bad, i contacted a breeder that i found and she had a litter due in a months time she told me, so i waited and waited and the due date finally came, i was so excited, i had a name planned and everything. I phoned the breeder that day and the bitch had given birth, BUT heres the heartbreaking news, for me it was anyway.

There was only 1 female in the litter and the breeder said she was keeping it and the males were all booked, i couldn't beleive it, i nearly burst into tears on the phone, for the rest of the day i was in tears, i contacted the breed club in a desperate search for one, and to my luck i found a breeder with a 6 month old for sale because the breeder was keeping a different bitch and not mine, i was so excited and the next day i went to meet my baby, it was love at first sight! She was gorgeous and all the borzois there were, i just couldn't beleive i was surrounded by them.

Since that day we have gone through alot of ups and downs, more downs, but now she is the most loving dog i have and i wouldn't change her for the world. Most definately the borzoi is my heart breed.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:43 PM
Quigleyfied

I don't really have a heart breed. I'm partial to terrier types of all sizes (especially Wirehaired Dachshund, JRT, Border Terrier and Giant Schnauzer), but I wouldn't go as far as saying the breed is what makes a dog special.

There are about 50 breeds of dogs I'd like to own at some point in my life, which is of course unrealistic , and then there are all the cool fuzzy, unique mixed breeds that are equally adorable.

I grew up with a Great Dane, who was a truly awesome dog, but I'm not likely to ever own one again since I have a hard time dealing with their short life span (mine lived to over 11 years old, so I was lucky) and I don't like the look they are bred to here in the US but prefer the German type.

Looking at my current situation it will probably be another 10-15 years or so before things are ideal for the Giant Schnauzer I'd want, so while I'm still living in L.A. in a house with under 2,000 square feet and a yard about half that size, I'll stick to the smaller dogs. I know opinions differ greatly on that, but I don't think such an environment is fair to a large dog.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 06-15-2006, 09:14 PM
Chihuahua Mum

I haven't owned enough breeds yet to know if the dogs I dream of are truely my heart breed or not. But the dog I have now, my sweet little Chihuahua, is the most amazing dog in the world. I know because of him I will always have a Chihuahua in my life, a breed I never even considered owning before I met him.
If Jesse isn't my heart breed, he's certainly my heart dog.

Cass.

I've been frosted!

Say NO to animals in pet shops! Rescue a friend instead.
"Raise them to be gentle and they will be gentle. Raise them to be vicious, and they will be vicious.
Problems lie not in the breed, but in the people."
- Dr. Carl Semenic
Old 06-15-2006, 10:44 PM
Certified Animallover!

When I was young I mean 4-5 I had an invisible dog... for months... I drove my family nuts yelling at them saying they sat/steped on it. I was a nutcase I took it everywhere. Then my family got so tired of it they adopted a small breed mutt (its mom had been hit by a car it was 4 weeks.) We raised it as one of us. I grew up with him.his name was Scamper Sadly we had to put him down.. not b/c he was sick but b/c of a jerk kid. I was in 3rd grade when he left me.

It was so sad we didnt get another dog till I was in 5th grade. I did however get hamsters which I pretended were dogs lol. Then we got meisha She was a black lab husky .. bt we had to leave her in our move to USA. She was my moms dog.. Hated anyone else lol.

We moved to Pa and in 8th grade we rescued and fostered a pure bred papered beagle. (he had a flaw someone slammed his tail in a door and it was stuck in an L shape) We called him Kink (lol b/c the kink in his tail) But we found him a home with a farmer who strained him to hunt. 3 days before they picked him up I watched a man abandon a pregnant dog. I adopted her named her Love. A month later she had babies ... and weeks after whelping a man came forward and said he was his and stolen ... Had police report and photos to prove it (someone had stolen her) or so he said. We returned her when the puppies were weaned and she disapeared a few weeks later after I noticed abuse and was going to report him

But She gave me Love and her sister Buddie. ho I would never trade them for anything in the world. We have now added Taber our Flippin walmart find (we got him in the walmart parking lot in a city called Flippin In Arkanses.

I love Mutts. Though I always wanted another really small dog like my lil scamper.

Old 06-16-2006, 11:25 PM
I love mutts!

I really don't think your heart picks the breed of dog you choose to own, just the dog itself..

Think about it:
-you can't just walk into a shelter and have the breed in your mind (well, you can...but, how can you walk past so many faces in need of your help?)
- you can't just say " oo that dog is cute! I want it!"- that doesn't cut it

I think you just happen upon a dog that catches your eye, no matter what breed, and it would be your perfect match!
Old 06-16-2006, 11:33 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Well, we had a collie when I was a little kid and I always expected we'd get another one.
After my older sister moved out and into an apartment, she got a sheltie. Then she adopted a rescue. Then she moved back home with both of them several years later...

And now I have a sheltie of my own, and can't wait to have more. ;> (Shelties are like potato chips!!)

Collies to shelties... close enough, right? =>

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA NAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-20-2006, 03:19 AM
We are Home.

well i have 2 heart breeds and yes i knew they both were
one isnt really a breed its a group.

1st is my pit bulls. I cant ever go with out owning one they can always make you laugh and yes sometimes cuss up a storm. but they are worth it with the love they give you and your family.

and the group is the large scent hounds. as yall know walker is part scent hound and i dont think i could live with out a hound cross or purebred hunter. They will find anything no matter where they are bearers of gifts (the count at recent is 4 squirells and 3 rabbits) and they always look so pleases even when you dont.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 06-20-2006, 04:13 AM
Big German Shepherd

Yes. I've always loved those 'K9 police dogs'. Every time I saw one, I couldn't help but stare... they just have such an air of confidence and admirability about them. I love 'em. I hope to always have one.