Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 06-12-2006, 08:25 AM
Terrified New Puppy Owner

I don't fully understand my anxiety either I'm afraid. I'm a capable person and have brought up 3 kids and 2 step kids so I ought to be able to handle a puppy.
I'm really not sure what my major worry is - I think it is fear of change more than anything. I have a tendency to like to have control in my life and this changes things somewhat.
My kids adore him and would hate it if we didn't have him so thats not the problem........

The costs don't worry me too much, maybe the lack of freedom is an issue, I'm not sure, I definitely worry too much........
Old 06-12-2006, 08:50 AM
Int CH - $uperBitch

it might be what i had, which was a fear of messing up, like i knew he had to be trained right, and what if i did it wrong and stuff like that.

Old 06-12-2006, 08:53 AM
Big Dog

Hi

I know exactly what you are saying. I went through the very same thing and I even had that feeling before I got Zoe. It is weird and hard to explain.

My kids are grown and gone. It is just like haveing a baby again and I didnt want to rock the boat either as you say.It felt like I was going backwords. Here I finally had my freedom and then I turn around and tie myself down again.

She has been with us only four weeks now and she is training pretty well and everything. I still get that feeling now and again but not as often.. At first I never left her alone and felt guilty if I did put her in her crate and go out for an hour.

I finally realized I can leave her and go out for a while and take a break as long as she has had her walk and is then in her crate. In fact it is good for them to get used to not having you there every minute. You NEED to take a break as well just like when you have kids.

They take a while to fit in and become a part of your family. It is like having a stranger move in with you. In time everything will gel and you will be comfortable with her being there. He will be a part of your household .

I went shopping the other day for a few hours and my hubby was here with Zoe. When I got home they had gone out and I really missed her and was really happy to see her when she got home. I knew then that I couldnt get along without her.

Just give it time and all the best to you.

[IMG][/IMG]
Casey
Old 06-12-2006, 08:58 AM
Show Dog

I have an 11 week old dynamo named Tinkerbell,(whom I just adore!) and i've had moments too where i watch her pooping in the yard,and feel overwhelmed,thinking" I can't do this! the kids will step in it! I don't have time to scoop till tomorrow!" Or she'll be chewing and nipping me,and won't stop,and I sit and wonder if I can do this, I'm thinking it was a big mistake...
Then i stop to realize, I'm TIRED! You've lost some sleep, you know what it's like with babies,right? Sometimes at night it's overwhelming,and you're ready to giveup, but then you get up in the a.m. with that cute little puppy face,who kisses you all over in gratitude for you taking her outside, and it's all ok! Then the kids come and have morning play session with pup, all the animals are cared for, you can pop pup into crate and settle with your a.m. coffee,and you're ready for another busy day!
It'll be fine, it's normal, just go with your instincts and don't make yourself crazy, kind of like with human babies!
Old 06-12-2006, 09:07 AM

Unhappy

My husband has just popped home for lunch and given me a cuddle which has now made me cry - i feel like such a stupid cow crying over something so stupid. Thank you Elly for making me feel like I'm not the only one who has ever felt this way, I really appreciate everyones advice and I hope that in a few weeks I'll have forgotten I ever felt like this. Sometime today I've thought - what if I could take him back and none of this had ever happened but the kids would never forgive me and anway isn't that the cowards way out. I know that I've got to stop being such a wuss and get on with it and now I've got mascara all down my face.....
Old 06-12-2006, 09:25 AM
Top Dog

Where in Essex are you?

Thanks BP
Old 06-12-2006, 09:39 AM

I'm in Halstead which is N Essex -where are you? Just put Rogan in his crate and walked up to the shop for some milk - feel a bit better now. I've opened his crate door and he hasn't come out yet!
Old 06-12-2006, 09:45 AM
Top Dog

I was just the same way when we got Boris. I think I probably cried non stop for the first two weeks. I remember me going out in the snow at 11pm to let him pee and just losing it. I think it has to do with the fact that you don't quite realize what it's like to have a puppy until you have to go out every 30 minutes, worry about accidents all the time and start to schedule your life around the pup. I considered giving him back quite a few times, feeling I had done a huge mistake.

It gets better though. Now I'm so glad I didn't give up at the time. Frankly though, if we ever get another puppy, it will be because of my husband, I don't think I ever want one again (although Tips was easier).
Old 06-12-2006, 09:45 AM
Top Dog

I am in walton-on-the-naze, Near Clacton

Thanks BP
Old 06-12-2006, 09:54 AM

I'm starting to feel better now that I'm reading other peoples worries - thank you Fran27 for telling me that you cried too - that makes me feel like not quite so much of a nut job!!!