Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 06-10-2006, 11:26 AM
Active Pup

Default When is my puppy an adult..?

I have a cocker spaniel thats about 2 weeks away from being 1 year old. She still chews on everything though. I have to tell her no a lot and she definetly knows what it means. She'll stop right then, but when im not paying attention she'll go right back to chewing on whatever it may be. She's always crated when I'm gone or at night, but I was hoping that it wouldnt be too long before I could leave her out while I'm not at home. Thanks for any information.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:43 AM
Rusty but Trusty

do you give your dog any other things to chew on (bones, or toys). She may just be telling you she wants chew toys. My lab is a little over a year and she never chews on anything, unless we leave then she'll eat shoes and books and stuff. Sometimes bitter apple spray will work, but some dogs actually do like the taste of it. Does she get plenty of exercise and mental stimulation during the day?

Old 06-10-2006, 11:54 AM
treehugging clicker freak

Maddie was pretty puppy-goofy until she was 2yrs old. She still has her moments, though. I'd suggest more exersize (a tired dog is a good dog! and we don't want our prone cockers to become overweight!) some bones to satisfy her chewing. Also, have you taught your dog "leave it"?
It usually works out well when you give the dog something they can chew on when you get them to stop chewing on what you don't want them to

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 06-11-2006, 04:33 PM
Active Pup

I havent taught her leave it, thats an idea. Maybe its the exersize thing. We live in a small house and theres no fence outside yet, so she's usually inside with not a lot of running room.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:15 AM
Puppy Training Advice

Teaching "leave it" is a great idea, if she knows "no" and goes back, this might not work however. A nice chew toy is your best bet. You need to find her a chew toy that she loves, that she cant be without! Some dogs stay in puppy-mode until they are into their second year. You know what they say, "There is no short cut through puppyhood!"

http://www.puppytrainingadvice.com