Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-21-2005, 08:57 PM
Lab Lubber

Default My dying grandmother just lost her dog

I just had to share because I'm so sad right now. My husband's grandmother, who is so near and dear to me, is very ill. She's 82 and dying of emphysema. She has a little Laso Apso named Spike who is 13 years old and he is her "Baby"

Spike has arthritis, a bad back that is very tender from an old injury/surgery and also an eye that is contstantly infected. So, needless to say, he can get a little fiesty if you touch him in the wrong aread and catch him off guard.

Well, my grandmother is on Hospice and while she was being changed, Spike nipped at her. Since her skin is so paper thin, it ripped her about an inch.

The nurses reported it to dog control (they're required to) and even though my grandmother didn't want him gone, they took him away. Now he can never come back or they will require that he be euthenized.

I understand why they did this, but it is so hard to see a lonely woman on her death bed have her very dearest friend taken away.

I cry just thinking about how sad she must be! I spend the night at her house every other night (taking turns with my husband) so she's not alone, and she asks about him and breaks into tears.

I don't think I can do anything to comfort her, but I really really want to. I know if anyone would understand, there would be people on this board who would.

If anyone has any advice or words of encouragement, I could really use it.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:00 PM
Island dweller

What a heart-breaking story! We do understand Tina. that's so rough. I stayed with my Grandma while she was dying and I know how hard it is. Taking the dog away now would make it so much worse. How awful! I guess you've tried explaining your unique situation with the "Powers that Be." You'd think they'd understand. That is just so rough! I wish I could help you. Where is the dog now?
Old 01-21-2005, 09:13 PM
Lab Lubber

You're so sweet Saje, thanks. We did try to explain it but they don't want him hurting anyone that is trying to take care of her so, there's not much room to negotiate.

Spike is staying at my aunt's house. She has two huge chocolate labs and a black lab and they don't get along at all.

Poor Spike has spent his whole life sharing a bed with my grandmother and being fed gourmet canned food and pampered as any dog could be.

I think heartbreak is going to kill these two faster than any of their medical problems if we can't get him back. This just happened last week though so maybe down the road.... I don't know....
Old 01-21-2005, 09:15 PM
Island dweller

At least he's still with family...

Maybe you could give Spike a special bed with one of Grandma's sweaters and you could put lots of pictures of Spike around Grandma's bed. And then everyday tell them about each other.

Well, I think it's a good idea!
Old 01-21-2005, 09:20 PM
Felurian

Perhaps they would let you bring Spike with you to visit your Grandmother so that they can spend some time together without the hospice personnel worrying about being bitten. A small dog bite isn't going to be nearly as painful as complete separation for your Grand.

Tears are always a potent weapon. (I'm not above dirty pool for a good cause!)

Best of luck with this, Tina. Your heart is in the right place and all of our hearts are with you.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-22-2005, 09:47 AM
Love my pets

I wish I had words to comfort you and your Grandmother. Does anyone you know have a video camera that maybe you could take a video of Spike and bring it to Hospice for her to watch? I know it's not the same as Spike being there, but maybe it would being a smile to her face.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:22 PM
Top Dog

I am so sorry to hear this. It is a sad thing. I wish I had some answer for this problem. I do send my condolenses to you and the family. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:35 PM
Top Dog

Can't you bring Spike in to visit when Hospice isn't there?? Also, he could wear a soft muzzle for safety sake. This is sooo sad!!
Old 01-22-2005, 07:46 PM

That is so sad. I don't have any solutions, but she'll be in my prayers. I also think the visiting idea should work. If Spike is supervised on a visit, what harm could that be?
Old 01-23-2005, 01:33 PM
Puppy Dog

I am so sorry to hear this story. I think the soft muzzel is worth a try, maybe even speaking to the animal control agent so that the hospic personal can feel safer. Maybe having an hour that is set as an appointment so hospic can be on a break while you are there with Spike. Also the idea of getting him some of your grandma's clothing or blanket for him and the pictures of Spike for her. There has to be some one to talk to. And yes begging with tears is a good thing. For gosh sakes hospic is dying with dignity. Anway maybe her doctor could also help on her behalf.
Good luck and warmest thoughts to all involved.
Also is there any place for Spike to go other than the home he is in...within the family?
I feel bad for the little guy too.
Ciao
greentiger