Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-24-2006, 01:12 PM
Top Dog

Here is some little known info on basenjis:

1. They are an ancient breed. So ancient that they can be found in angient Egyptian drawings.
2. They have a very sweet smell that is nothing like the typical dog smell.
3. They clean themselves with their paws much like a cat.
4. Rather than lick or kiss you, they will smell your mouth.
5. They trot like a horse.
6. Basenjis like high places to perch. Corky's favorite place to hang out is the back of the couch.
7. Yes, they are a barkless dog but that's just about the only normal dog sound they can't make.
8. Some basenji's yodel and some don't. Corky's yodel starts with a slow growl and end with AhRoooo.
8. They come in 4 different colors, red, black, tri and brindle. We have a tri.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:18 PM
Top Dog

Here is some little known info on basenjis:

1. They are an ancient breed. So ancient that they can be found in ancient Egyptian drawings.
2. They have a very sweet smell that is nothing like the typical dog smell.
3. They clean themselves with their paws much like a cat.
4. Rather than lick or kiss you, they will smell your mouth.
5. They trot like a horse. This is very impressive and so graceful
6. Basenjis like high places to perch. Corky's favorite place to hang out is the back of the couch.
7. Yes, they are a barkless dog but that's just about the only normal dog sound they can't make.
8. Some basenji's yodel and some don't. Corky's yodel starts with a slow growl and ends with AhRoooo.
9. They come in 4 different colors, red, black, tri (white, brown & black) and brindle. All with white bellies and boots. Corky is a tri.
10. They are great climbers. Thank goodness Corky doesn't know that he could climb our 4' chainlink like a ladder.

Tempura: Thank so much for the info on shibas. I had the pleasure of meeting one shiba and he was very impressive. What a beauty! When looking for a dog, his owner wanted either a basenji or a shiba. I had corky with us when we met him and they are very similar outside of the length of their fur. Shibas are on the top of my list of breeds that I would own.

Sorry for the double post. I did not do this purposely just stupidly.

Last edited by mamasobuco; 06-24-2006 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Double Post-Feeling Stupid
Old 06-27-2006, 12:28 AM
Top Dog

GREAT DANES...

They were originally bred to hunt wild boar

The great dane is not a Danish breed..they originated in Germany

The Great Dane is Pennsylvania's state dog

Although Dane-like dogs have been portrayed in Oriental writings and on Egyptian monuments dated prior to the birth of Christ, the breed is considered to be about 400 years old

In 1880, Germany adopted the Great Dane as its national dog and was called the Deutsche Dogge

In England the breed was recognised by the Kennel Club in 1884 as the Great Dane.

in most of central Europe the dane is recognised as 'Deutsche Dogge'... in France, it is recognised as both 'Dogue Allemand' and 'Danois'... In Holland, 'Duitse Dogge' and 'Deense Dogge' and in Italy it is called 'Alano'

they come in 6 colors...Black, Harlequin, Blue, Mantle, Fawn and Brindle

The Great dane is known as the Apollo of all dog breeds

danes dont need as much space as you would think..they make good apartment dogs

There are many famous cartoon Great danes..including Scooby-doo, Marmaduke, Astro on the Jetsans

Many famous people have owned danes.. here are a few..Franklin D. Roosevelt, Willaim Shatner, Bruce Lee, Greg Louganis, Chubby Checkers, Baron von Bismarck, Wilt Chamberlain, and the " Red Baron " of World War.. along with many others
Old 06-27-2006, 12:59 AM
treehugging clicker freak

This is very interesting!!

- The name 'Cocker' comes from the woodcock, a game bird these spaniels flushed particularly well
-They were bred for use on smaller upland game , such as the quail or partridge. Their size was an important factor, as it was widely believe that these little dogs would find the quarry without disturbing it.
-In the conformation show ring of the United States, due to the huge popularity of the Black Cocker, the Cocker Club applied to the American Kennel club to show this dog in a separate group, so as to allow for the other varieties, the Parti-Color and the ASCOB (any solid color other than black), to have their chance. Thus the American Cocker Spaniel is one of the very few breeds which is shown in separate classes even though are actually one breed. As a result, in the Sporting Group, there will be three representatives of the Cocker Spaniel being shown.

more later

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 06-27-2006, 07:21 PM
Corgi bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie + Chessies
Chesapeakes have engaging personalities punctuated by their "smile"- a greeting that is a grimace with all teeth bared

Chesapeakes also have unique vocalizations - a happy "roo roo" sound that is somewhere between a growl and a howl.

Chesapeakes are traced back to two early shipwrecked Newfoundlands, Canton and Sailor. Canton and Sailor were not bred to each other but were bred to the local stock and their progeny were bred to water spaniels, hounds, and setters.

Chesapeakes are not just curly Labs. They are dominant dogs which can become overly possessive of objects, people, or property and may be somewhat aggressive if challenged. Chesapeakes are a lot of dog. People who prefer dogs who are more obedient and submissive tend not to like Chesapeakes at all.
That smile is soooooooooooooooooo cute!!! I used to have a Collie, and she'd smile like that all the time.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:22 PM
Corgi bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinaweena
For some reason I know another fact about your breed!

6) They were bred to be so short because the ""reverse hearding" was them coming up behind the livestock and nipping the ankles. Eventually the cow would get sick of this annoying little dog nipping them and kickback, being that short made then automagically out of the way of the cow hoof, so if the cow wouldn't move they could just go right back to the nipping until the cow mosied on its way!
Corgi's are definintely smart little dogs....sometimes wayyyyyyyyyy toooooooo smart!!LOL
Old 06-28-2006, 03:06 AM
and Fozzie B!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD
Border Collies are racists. They are infamous for choosing to single out and spend time with only other Border Collies or similar herding breeds.
LMAO! So, so true! Usually when I tell people that Gonzo is a "breedist", they look at me like I'm crazy. =/ I sweeaar, he can see a black Lab from a mile away and gets totally sulky and stares at them in disgust like he's saying, "Leave me the F alone." I can 100% trust him with other herding pups, smaller breeds and Huskies, but otherwise I just can't.

A few more Border Collie facts...

* Border Collies "originated" and were brought to America over a century ago from the Scottish borders.

* Border Collies are chatacterized by their ability to perform tasks otherwise assigned individually to different breeds of shepherd dogs. BC's can gather, drive, eye, clap (go down and face sheep with it's belly close to the ground), and are bred for intelligence that enables them to work a large flock over long distances, often having to think for themselves when their handler is out of sight.

* Because of centuries of breeding for drive, energy, intelligence, and loyalty; BC's CAN and WILL become parenoid, hyper-active, and neurotic if they aren't given the opportunity to exercise their body and their mind. Or, they'll find other ways to fulfill their needs... like re-landscaping your yard, re-decorating your house, herding your children/houseguests/you, becoming obsessed with food, or becoming obsessed with cars/squirrels/lights/etc.

* There are more Border Collies in Flyball (NAFA) than any other breed, including mixed breeds!

* Border Collies were AKC accepted in 1995 with open registration, meaning any ABCA registered BC would be accepted. The ABCA maintains it's stand on showing Border Collies as wrong and rejects the registration of any Border Collie that attains it's AKC Champion title.

* Many BC breeders are divided - they either breed working Border Collies, or show Border Collies (called Barbie Collies by some working breeders). The working side of the spectrum feels that BC's are what they are because of how they work, not how they look.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie