Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-07-2006, 05:21 PM
Walks into Mordor

Catahoula leopard dog:

-This breed originated in Louisiana. During the time of the Conquistadors, the Spanish "War dogs" (greyhounds and mastiffs), interbred with the Native American dogs. Later, French immigrants brought the Beauceron into the mix, which resulted in the modern Catahoula Leopard Dog.

-Catahoulas are also used for both hunting and herding.

-In the "old days", Catahoula owners/breeders were so protective of their dogs that you could not buy one. They would give their dogs to those who truly needed one for work.

-*WARNING: THIS LAST FACT IS NOT FOR THE EASILY OFFENDED* Please keep in mind that this practice came about during the pioneer era in a wild country, where good working dogs were essential, and a bad working dog could be extremely detrimental to the welfare of a family/owner. The pioneers did not have the resources to feed and care for an animal that was not good at its work. There was also no spay/neuter program to ensure that sub-par animals did not breed.
A large part of the Catahoula drive and temperament was developed from a process known as "lining". The breeder would take an entire litter of 6-month-old pups, and find a trail where deer were known to frequent. He would establish himself at an invisible line on the trail, and let the pups loose to track.

The last two pups to cross the "line" were shot. They did not exhibit enough interest in following the track. The rest of the pups were allowed to continue tracking. When the pups started to return, the first two dogs to cross the "line" were also shot. They didn't show enough interest in remaining with the pack. The remaining pups were considered the most promising prospects and began formal training.

Thankfully, with the advent of spay/neuter and the popularity of dogs as "just pets", lining is no longer used.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:24 PM
overdogged

the most decorated war dog in american history was a pit bull
Old 06-07-2006, 05:24 PM
Top Dog

Not sure if these are little known among other Toller people, but many non-Toller people don't know this:

1) They are prone to auto-immune diseases (though this is getting better)

2) They *must* be on a limited vaccine protocol, their bodies cannot handle tons of vaccines and they also can't have mixed vaccines.

3) They have a horrible, loud, high pitched scream that they use when excited or anxious.

4) They are not a typical retriever in that they do not see everyone they meet as a new best friend. They're very reserved around new people and save most of their exuberance for friends and family.

5) They are extremely high drive, high energy dogs. Very comparable to the Border Collie.

6) Tollers are a very versatile breed and fortunately most Tollers can step right out of the conformation ring and into the field like they've been hunting forever.

7) They need positive training metods only. They're extremely sensitive.

There are more I'm sure, but these are the only things I can think of right now...

Ripley
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FDCh-G
Keira CGN
Old 06-07-2006, 05:47 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller_08
4) They are not a typical retriever in that they do not see everyone they meet as a new best friend. They're very reserved around new people and save most of their exuberance for friends and family.
Actually both Chesapeakes and Curly Coats are also known for being reserved and stand-offish around strangers.
Flat Coats, Goldens and Labs are the exuberant, party animals of the retrievers.
Tollers, Chessies and Curlies are the antisocial, surly retrievers.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:07 PM
Felurian

These are anecdotal "facts"

Each Fila is obsessive/compulsive about something

A Fila will hold an endless grudge . . . .

Filas are partial to redheads

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-07-2006, 06:41 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie + Chessies
Actually both Chesapeakes and Curly Coats are also known for being reserved and stand-offish around strangers.
Flat Coats, Goldens and Labs are the exuberant, party animals of the retrievers.
Tollers, Chessies and Curlies are the antisocial, surly retrievers.

I know, I should've specified that but when the average person thinks retriever they usually think automatically Golden or Lab. Most people that I un into have never even heard of the Curly, Chessie or Toller..

Ripley
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FDCh-G
Keira CGN
Old 06-07-2006, 08:04 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller_08
I know, I should've specified that but when the average person thinks retriever they usually think automatically Golden or Lab. Most people that I un into have never even heard of the Curly, Chessie or Toller..
LOL! You're right! Most people call Labs "Labs" and call Goldens "retrievers", as if Labs are not retrievers and as if there are no other retrievers.

I really wouldn't mind getting a Curly myself, but my husband hates them. I also heard that they get alopecia. Ick! If I wanted a bald dog, I'd get a Chinese Crested!
Old 06-07-2006, 08:06 PM
Are you dead yet?

Border Collies are racists. They are infamous for choosing to single out and spend time with only other Border Collies or similar herding breeds.

Papillons are excellent swimmers when appropriately introduced to water.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:31 PM
I Love My Belgian

Belgians were already done, but more facts can't hurt!

1. The Belgian varieties can be interbred (ie tervs ca be bred with groens, etc.).
2. Belgians are prone to autoimmune disease, epilepsy, and eye problems.
3. Belgians like to be close to their owner. They say when you have a Belgian you will never go to the bathroom alone again lol.
4. They think they are lap dogs.
5. They have to "overdo" everything. Belgians often need to be taught to slow down, take it easy, and care less. They are very impulsive.
6. They can be difficult to groom if they aren't taught from a young age. They are alot like shelties that way -- big babies -- one knot, and watch your face because it can be gone in one snap.
7. Back in their homeland, Belgians were mainly fed poultry, beets, wheat, mutton, and sometimes beef.
8. Belgians can differ from one temperment extreme to the other. You often get shy, low drive, soft dogs, and then aggressive, high drive, hard dogs. Sometimes a mixture of extremes. You'll rarely find one inbetween.
9. Belgians excell at almost everything. They are very versatile, and the top breed for schutzhund along with GSDs.
10. Big couch potatoes! Love to laze around in the house.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:00 PM
Top Dog

Bichon Frises
1) you can brush/pet them backward and forwards, there is no diffrence, its a poof eether way.
2) FRISE in french, means Frizzy.
3)They were known as the pet of the common people after the French Revolution, and were trained and used as trick dogs in the circus.
4) As guard dogs, cart dogs and herders they were said to be infallible.but later, the bichon's main purpose became a companion
5) many bichons (including charlie) are said to have "human eyes" there eyes resemble ones of humans, charlie's eye color is hazel!
6) Bichons are known for 1 great trait i like to call the "happy dance" where they stand on their hind legs are twirl around, its a real crowd pleaser
7) they are extremely active, hardy little dogs and are not lil froofy dogs, Charlie loves to run, jump, hike and do agility
8) they were voted "DOG MOST RESEMBLING A TOY" by dog fancy magazine.

Thanks Brattina88 for the siggy! its b-e-a-UTIFUL!