Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-07-2006, 03:26 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Default Interesting and Little Known Facts about your Breed

I always love to learn new facts about dog breeds, especially little known facts, so I thought that I would start this thread to expand my brain, lol.

Alright I guess I will start...

Pembroke Welsh Corgis:

1) Corgis have webbed feet like a lab or a golden retriever.

2) They LOVE water and going swimming!

3) In many Welsh fairytales, their job was to act as tranportation for fairies and pixies, who rode them like horses.

4) In the 1960's the first corgi earned a Shutzhund title, which included jumping over a 40 inch jump while carrying a 1 1/2 pound dumbell, he went on the earn a Shutzhund II title

5) In Wales when private farms were taken away and community farms were set up, corgis did what is called reverse herding. Instead of keeping the livestock bunched together, they would spread them out while still keeping them seperate from other farmer's livestock. This way, the farmers would not loose grazing land to other farms, but would still keep their herd together.

I think that's it for now.

Anybody else...

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:45 PM
Dog Show Addict

Thats very interesting!! I never knew that about the Corgis.. #5 was very interesting as well!! lol Smart little pups aren't they!

Little known facts about Belgians;

1) Belgians should not be fed Chicken for a long amount of time, their it can cause premanent damage to their pancreas.

2) Belgians are EXTREMELY sensative to anesthesia - so caution should be used while giving them a dose, they usually need a lesser dose!

3) Belgians have been used as sled dogs like the Husky, as well as cart dogs.

4) There are 4 varieties to the Belgian Sheepdog, many people think there are only three; Tervuren, Gronendael, Malinois and Laekenois

5) Any variety of the breed can have any variety in a litter. Ex. a Tervuren bitch can give birth to a Malinois pup or a Gronengael pup and sometimes a Laekenois.

6) They are an extremely sensative breed that thrives on positive training methods. The more harsh the training on them, the more they grow to resent you and ignore you.

7) They were originally bred to herd and protect sheep flocks for shephards.

8) The Belgian Tervuren got its name because it originated in Belgium in a little town called "Tervuren"
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 06-07-2006, 03:56 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
5) Any variety of the breed can have any variety in a litter. Ex. a Tervuren bitch can give birth to a Malinois pup or a Gronengael pup and sometimes a Laekenois.
WOW! That's very interesting!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:58 PM
Dog Show Addict

It is eh!

They are essential the same breed.. but under the AKC each variety is a seperate breed..

the CKC recognizes them as one breed.
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 06-07-2006, 04:08 PM
Taco Dog

1. Chis are the most ancient breed in North America.

2. They used to be larger, but were bred to be shorter so that they could be constantly close to the owner. (hence the nickname lap dog.)

3. First discovered in the 1850s.

3. Chis shake and shiver not because they are cold, but because they are excited or worried.

4. Many Chihuahuas are born with a soft spot (molera) on the top center of their skull. This is where the skull did not completely close, making an already fragile breed even more fragile.

5. Most Chihuahuas tend to only have friends that are of their breed. For instance, Roxy would much rather be friends with another Chi than have to live with Spud.

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast." Proverbs 12:10

http://www.petfinder.com
Old 06-07-2006, 04:11 PM
Top Dog

Pit Bulls are big time lickers. They lick everyone they meet. Sal even licks my Sister's cows . They are super affectionate

Pit Bulls are very soft...meaning they are sensitive. They don't need stern or harsh correction. You can usually give a Pit Bull a dirty look and that is punishment enough.

If raised in the right how most Pit Bulls are the opposite of their stereotype.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:01 PM
Show Dog

Chesapeakes have engaging personalities punctuated by their "smile"- a greeting that is a grimace with all teeth bared

Chesapeakes also have unique vocalizations - a happy "roo roo" sound that is somewhere between a growl and a howl.

Chesapeakes are traced back to two early shipwrecked Newfoundlands, Canton and Sailor. Canton and Sailor were not bred to each other but were bred to the local stock and their progeny were bred to water spaniels, hounds, and setters.

Chesapeakes are not just curly Labs. They are dominant dogs which can become overly possessive of objects, people, or property and may be somewhat aggressive if challenged. Chesapeakes are a lot of dog. People who prefer dogs who are more obedient and submissive tend not to like Chesapeakes at all.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:13 PM
no touchy

Well, technically I have a couple of breeds since I love my mutts' breeds, but the only purebred dog I have is a Labrador Retriever. Let's see...little known facts about labbies...

1.> They have two coats - the top coat is water resist, and the undercoat keeps them warm. They shed the undercoat in the summer.
2.> They have webbed feet. You can often see the webbing when a lab is swimming.
3.> They're tail is called an "otter tail" and aids them in swimming. It acts as a rudder.
4.> There are British and American labs. English labs are shorter and stockier, where American labs tend to be taller and leaner. I prefer a mixture of the two, really.
5.> The lightest coat color for labs is called yellow, not golden, as many people assume!
6.> Because their ears are floppy, it's hard for air to get inside, so labs tend to get ear infections quite easily if their ears are not cleaned often enough.
7.> They're mouths are called "soft mouths" because when they go to catch a bird a hunter has shot, they can take it in their mouths and swim back to shore without disfiguring the bird.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:51 PM
Walks into Mordor

Blackmouth cur:

-They originated in the American South as a multi-purpose "frontier dog".

-The blackmouth cur does NOT have to have a black muzzle. The term "blackmouth" comes from the dark pigment of the inside of the mouth and lips.

-Unlike scenthounds, blackmouth curs should be silent when tracking. They also use a combination of scent and sight when on the trail.

-Blackmouth curs are used for herding as well as hunting. Even today, there are many kennels that breed specifially for herding ability, as oppossed to hunting prowress.

-The book "Old Yeller" was written about a blackmouth cur. (A lab played the part in the Disney movie).
Old 06-07-2006, 05:58 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gempress
-The book "Old Yeller" was written about a blackmouth cur. (A lab played the part in the Disney movie).
Awww...I didn't know Old Yeller was about a Blackmouth Cur! Thought it was just about a farm mutt. Love that book! May just have to go and reread it now!