Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-23-2005, 10:17 PM
Try not; DO or do not

Default Let's have a poll: Should it be illegal?

Theorectical question: Jane Doe stole a dog from a person who abused the dog and kept it confined to a short chain, starving. Jane got arrested a year later and the original owner got the dog back. (Now in the bloom of health) Jane faces 5 years in jail. Did she commit a crime? Let me know what you think!
Old 02-23-2005, 10:31 PM
Big Dog

Wow, this is a deep moral question. She did a good thing, but went about it in the wrong way I suppose.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:36 PM
Ass Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparStar
Theorectical question: Jane Doe stole a dog from a person who abused the dog and kept it confined to a short chain, starving. Jane got arrested a year later and the original owner got the dog back. (Now in the bloom of health) Jane faces 5 years in jail. Did she commit a crime? Let me know what you think!
Yup. She stole the dog. Most breeders of registered dogs have contracts that allow them to regain possesion of the dog if it is proven to be neglected and/or abused. They can only do this through the authorities...they cannot simply "take" the dog.

That said. I have half-way housed a couple of dogs (one bulldog, one rottie) that were in that exact situation. Was it right, legally? Hell no. But the breeder was a good friend and the dogs had good homes out of state lined up. If I had been caught I would have had to face the consequences.

If Jane wasn't the breeder, she probably is up poop creek sans paddle. She would have been better off contacting the Humane Society, then legally adopting the dog.

Good intentions, much like ignorance of the law, do not make a strong excuse in court.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:37 PM
Felurian

There is a phrase used in criminal defense practice: "in defense of another."

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-23-2005, 10:38 PM
Ass Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
There is a phrase used in criminal defense practice: "in defense of another."
Sadly, I think that phrase only goes for humans.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:51 PM
Felurian

Actually, it doesn't discriminate. There just aren't any precedents set because no one who gets in those situations has the money to hire an attorney of the caliber to take care of the situation. It's amazing how boxed in our perceptions of "law" can be. I've had the privilege of working with some outrageously intelligent and creative thinking attorneys. It's so much fun to watch them turn things inside out . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-23-2005, 10:58 PM
Ass Lover

Quote:
Actually, it doesn't discriminate. There just aren't any precedents set because no one who gets in those situations has the money to hire an attorney of the caliber to take care of the situation. It's amazing how boxed in our perceptions of "law" can be. I've had the privilege of working with some outrageously intelligent and creative thinking attorneys. It's so much fun to watch them turn things inside out . . .
I've known people that have tried this with horses...they never faced jail time, but still had the theft on their record, despite the "in defense" defense.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:04 PM
Felurian

If their records were clean otherwise, a good attorney can usually get the record expunged after a probationary period. It's not typically a big deal for something minor (no one got seriously hurt, maimed or died), especially when there is no malicious intent. In my view of the world, an attorney who doesn't at least take a good shot at expungement, especially for something like that, is being downright negligent of his client's best interests.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-23-2005, 11:17 PM
Ass Lover

Quote:
If their records were clean otherwise, a good attorney can usually get the record expunged after a probationary period. It's not typically a big deal for something minor (no one got seriously hurt, maimed or died), especially when there is no malicious intent. In my view of the world, an attorney who doesn't at least take a good shot at expungement, especially for something like that, is being downright negligent of his client's best interests.
You're probably right. I'm anti-lawyer right now. My last lawyer experience was the one where he takes my $1500 and fails to show up at my arraignment. (<----traffic related)
Old 02-23-2005, 11:27 PM
Felurian

How fast can you say, "Board of Professional Responsibility?" Inexcusable.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian