Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-08-2014, 04:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
What also kills me is REALLY active people who don't understand the difference between fit & fat.
I'm always baffled by the fact that a pretty good percentage of the obese dogs I know are owned by incredibly fit, active people.

As for my own public interactions - I don't change much. There isn't much I do that might come across badly to people, I don't think. I do lightly smack/kick Gusto when he's tugging, including on the leash, but I'm usually chattering at him and play growling back, so I think it comes across as the game that it is.

I do talk incessantly to my dogs when I'm not in public, including having voices for them, and I make an effort to not do that in front of others - and sometimes forget. Oh well. I'm okay with being the crazy dog lady.

Old 08-09-2014, 04:03 AM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
I am surprised at the number of people who should know better but don't. When a veterinarian or one of their employees incorrectly calls a fit dog underweight, I call them out for their ignorance on the spot. I don't care who is around.
Thank you. The vet told me she wasn't concerned by Middie's weight at all, and thought he looked great threw me for a loop. I immediately asked her exactly how fat most of the dogs she sees are if she thinks he looks good. I think he's 3-5lbs overweight. Every single person who sees him insists that it would be cruel for me to get him slimmer. He has rolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
I do talk incessantly to my dogs when I'm not in public, including having voices for them, and I make an effort to not do that in front of others - and sometimes forget. Oh well. I'm okay with being the crazy dog lady.
This freaks people out. The voice we use for Middie sounds a lot like Morty from Rick & Morty.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:17 AM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:

so much this.

Merlin's voice sounds like part pre-pubescent frat boy part I'm making fun of the mentally challenged.
I make a real effort to not do it in public lol

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:02 PM
Top Dog

Gusto has a southern twang. Don't ask me why, he was living with the Amish in upstate NY. I think he just fakes it to sound foreign and cool.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:34 PM
Silence, peasants.

Quote:
Gusto has a southern twang. Don't ask me why, he was living with the Amish in upstate NY. I think he just fakes it to sound foreign and cool.
oh god, Wesley also has a southern twang. He picked it up from his girlfriend american bulldog, Dixie, who was born in the south and brought up north by a shelter. YES.

And somehow from people tacking on 'says wesley, says ____,' to the end of random sentences people in my house have said, Wesley and my rabbit Steve have evolved into this giant inside joke where they're married and have baby dogbunnies, and there's one named Pancake that Steve has to hide in a basket because Wesley always tries to eat him, and another named Legless Baby that's a poodle and has no back legs (that Wesley 'had'), and a rottweiler puppy they adopted named Marigold, and seven other various dogbunnies.

I have no idea how it all escalated.

Feistea, ze Blog
Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 08-09-2014, 08:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
Thank you. The vet told me she wasn't concerned by Middie's weight at all, and thought he looked great threw me for a loop. I immediately asked her exactly how fat most of the dogs she sees are if she thinks he looks good. I think he's 3-5lbs overweight. Every single person who sees him insists that it would be cruel for me to get him slimmer. He has rolls.
This can go the other way though. Lol. I routinely recommend that patients that are probably at the upper end of "fine" to lose 3-5 lbs because I like a little lean over a little pudgy... and probably also because I have greyhounds. I don't ask dogs in the middle of the ideal range to lose weight, but that upper third? You betcha. And it's probably a little unnecessary. Lol. I try to remember that most dogs aren't agility greyhounds....

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds:
Summit (BBF Dropout) - Retired from racing, not life
Kili (Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly) - Walking dreamer
Future Puppy - Coming ~2016-2017
Old 08-13-2014, 02:56 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
I'm a crazy dog person and even I cringe when I watch handlers yanking on dog's necks in the conformation ring, when I've watched dog shows with my roommates it bothers them too.
Isn't this the same as what is being discussed? Cringing because a confo handler is 'yanking on a dog's neck' seems the same to me as Facebook people crying abuse when that flyball handler was loading her dog's rears legs/hips onto her lap at the start.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:06 PM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy View Post
This can go the other way though. Lol. I routinely recommend that patients that are probably at the upper end of "fine" to lose 3-5 lbs because I like a little lean over a little pudgy... and probably also because I have greyhounds. I don't ask dogs in the middle of the ideal range to lose weight, but that upper third? You betcha. And it's probably a little unnecessary. Lol. I try to remember that most dogs aren't agility greyhounds....
That would be nice. Everyone I know thinks he looks great and I want to starve him to death.