Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-05-2014, 09:34 PM
Silence, peasants.

I'd say the only big change I make with dog people vs general dog owners is in ours dogs interactions. Dog people are so much more reasonable when it comes to dogs figuring out where they stand with each other, on the flip side you never know when someone will be very offended that your dog snarked at theirs, because they don't want dogs to act like dogs.

Also a kind of funny thing, one time I was playing tug with Feist in a park, smacking her around. I looked up at people watching us, and from their expressions I believe they thought 1. I was trying to get her let go of the toy, 2. I was actually hurting her. Whoops! Same thing happened once when I was using her leash as a tug (with it on)...probably looked like a nut trying to hit my dog and get her to let go of her leash.

Feistea, ze Blog

Last edited by Oko; 08-05-2014 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:50 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
I'd say the only big change I make with dog people vs general dog owners is in ours dogs interactions. Dog people are so much more reasonable when it comes to dogs figuring out where they stand with each other, on the flip side you never know when someone will be very offended that your dog snarked at theirs, because they don't want dogs to act like dogs.

Also a kind of funny thing, one time I was playing tug with Feist in a park, smacking her around. I looked up at people watching us, and from their expressions I believe they thought 1. I was trying to get her let go of the toy, 2. I was actually hurting her. Whoops! Same thing happened once when I was using her leash as a tug (with it on)...probably looked like a nut trying to hit my dog and get her to let go of her leash.
Lol I get a lot of strange looks when I do this with Josefina in public, in fact I got so much flack that I started doing it on purpose. I would have her tug and "smack" her around and when some nosy person comes up to give me (usually CM related) advice I just look straight at them and say "drop it!" And out the toy comes, boy are they ever embarrassed ha ha.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:45 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
Out in public...I think I get a little weird about "training", I don't really like to go out to a pet store or go into a busy parking lot to run obedience exercises. I feel like people think I am being mean "making" them work. I'll get after my dogs to behave if necessary out and about only if not doing so would make them continue the behavior. I'm not ashamed of using training aids.
Mostly this. I'm self-conscious about training in public, so while I'm happy to reward my dog for good behavior, and work on manners, I'm not out practicing heeling and obedience behaviors. It's probably one reason his obedience isn't great. Haha. I don't think people will necessarily think I'm being "mean" - I just don't like drawing attention to myself I guess, and I know that people stare and make comments when training is going on. Usually positive comments actually ("Wow, he's like a show dog or something!"), but I'd rather they just left us alone to concentrate.

Otherwise, no, I don't change how I would normally interact with him while out in public. I've had a couple negative comments when he's worn a prong, but usually more curious "does that hurt the dog?" instead of "you are abusing him!" comments.

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 08-06-2014, 07:17 AM
Higbread Dingbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
We do stuff like that fairly frequently.
A few weeks back I found a large log on the ground and was having Cobain vault off of it and grab his tug toy that I was holding in the air.
It looked intense and maybe a tad aggressive. But the responses! People leashed up their dogs and kept them far away from him, all whilst glaring me down.
I heard mutterings of "I don't know why someone would own such a vicious dog"

I would have explained if they asked....either way Cobain was nice and tired afterward.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:12 PM
orange iguanas.

Lol I play tug with the leash too when we're on walks and I bet people think I just have out of control dogs who can't behave on walks. They are correct that they are out of control, but the leash grabbing is encouraged

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 08-06-2014, 12:40 PM
I'm All Ears

I'm about the same. I just don't baby talk them as much. I'm really bad about talking to them.

I've gotten weird looks though from

1. working agility in the front yard
2. Doing nosework box work in the driveway (it's the best spot for it! People will STARE and STARE though trying to figure out if you're searching for drugs)
3. Showing people that mia can do a handstand (they do think it's cool though)
4. Taking a bite of food then giving the rest over to the dog. I did that out of habit at a dinner party once... Uh yeah... that's bad manners. But they had such a cute sheltie! And she was begging.... I blushed so bad after realizing I'd done that. It was subconscious... Didn't realize what I'd done till after the fact.

Oh and the nosework- we use parks and parking lots to search. When we have the shepherds or labs out vehicle searching (our vehicles, not other peoples') we get worried looks. We've actually had a police officer come over to see what is up. He thought it was cool when we explained what we were doing/training for.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:45 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Not so much in the sense of the OP where an innocuous (to dog people) activity is seen as mean, etc. At least not to my knowledge.

I do tend to speak to my dogs in full sentences, though. Which creeps nondog people out. Especially when the dogs comply, haha.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 08-08-2014, 10:54 AM
Top Dog

I am surprised at the number of people who should know better but don't. When a veterinarian or one of their employees incorrectly calls a fit dog underweight, I call them out for their ignorance on the spot. I don't care who is around.
What also kills me is REALLY active people who don't understand the difference between fit & fat. But I am much more tolerant & educational with them. I just use the analogies of athletics, since they easily grasp the big fat guy isn't going to be a world class swimmer or marathon runner, they tend to catch on quickly.
Old 08-08-2014, 02:39 PM
such sights to show you

I'm actually shocked that people don't react negatively to joring with the dogs, especially during scooter season. Some people are mildly puzzled, but really I've never encountered anyone who didn't think it was funny and/or amazing.

I thought of this thread today, though. I have a plot at a local community garden and right on the other side of the walkway going by my plot is a nice grassy, shady area next to a small woods and I almost always bring Pip and stake him out there on the grass while I work in the plot. One of the other gardeners stopped to chat today and she says to him "It's kind of hot out here for someone with fur!" I just kind of gave her a puzzled face but inside I was thinking "Yes, my dog who is still wet from swimming earlier and lounging on the grass in the shade with water and a cool breeze blowing through his feathers is obviously super distressed." I guess I'll have to change how I do things.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:49 PM
Puppy Dog

The public loves Nina and I've never gotten any negative comments whatsoever, but we get TONS of compliments. So can my dad stand in for the average public?

He thinks she wants to/is one day going to eat him, that feeding her raw would be teaching her to eat people, and pretty much fear-mongers - which I know because my siblings or whoever mention the comments he makes when she and I aren't around. As if a 270lb man couldn't body slam a skinny 45lb dog if he needed to anyway...

I think it's pretty "funny" (in the most pathetic way) that he thinks she's out to get him because she always barks at him AFTER he brandished a hardware tool at her once when she was 10months old because she ran up and play-bowed. Rambunctious, yes. Vicious man-eater? No.