Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 08-17-2014, 10:33 AM
Top Dog

Default Only puppies over six months as imports

What a high requirement. Why not 10 weeks or anything else?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/16/bu...pies.html?_r=0
Old 08-17-2014, 11:29 AM
& the Muttly Crew

The new ruling applies only to dogs imported for resale via "rescue" or pet stores, etc.

So if I were to sayferinstance import myself a Koolie finally, no problem.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/newsroom/2..._import_us.pdf

"The new rule ensures that dogs imported for resale are vaccinated and in good health, and required to be over six months of age.

The new regulations are authorized under section 18 of the AWA, which Congress added in the 2008 Farm Bill. In September 2011, APHIS published and took comments on a proposed rule in the Federal Register addressing the requirements of the new section of the AWA.

The final rule applies to dogs imported into the continental U.S., (including Alaska) and Hawaii, from other countries and from U.S. territories to the continental U.S.

This final rule applies to dogs intended for resale. It does not apply to dogs that are imported for research purposes, veterinary medical treatment, or for personal companions."

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 08-17-2014, 12:51 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
The new ruling applies only to dogs imported for resale via "rescue" or pet stores, etc.

So if I were to sayferinstance import myself a Koolie finally, no problem.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/newsroom/2..._import_us.pdf

"The new rule ensures that dogs imported for resale are vaccinated and in good health, and required to be over six months of age.

The new regulations are authorized under section 18 of the AWA, which Congress added in the 2008 Farm Bill. In September 2011, APHIS published and took comments on a proposed rule in the Federal Register addressing the requirements of the new section of the AWA.

The final rule applies to dogs imported into the continental U.S., (including Alaska) and Hawaii, from other countries and from U.S. territories to the continental U.S.

This final rule applies to dogs intended for resale. It does not apply to dogs that are imported for research purposes, veterinary medical treatment, or for personal companions."
Oh, good. I thought it applied to any animal being sold (aka, purchased from a breeder, then imported). That makes much more sense, and is something I can stand behind.

Old 08-17-2014, 01:42 PM
Top Dog

So rescues can't import puppies who are in danger and adopt them out? Why?
Old 08-17-2014, 02:21 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picklepaige View Post
My guess is that there have probably been some diseases of concern imported with some of those puppies. It's good policy from a health standpoint.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:22 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I hardly think this is imperative to their function as a "rescue" How many dogs die in this country every year? a million or more? I think there's plenty from right here within the borders of the US to "rescue" and they'd never run out of dogs to save.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:03 PM
Top Dog

Oh wow, I read about 6 news articles on this and didn't find one that mentioned it was for resale only. I still wonder if this would apply to something like a kennel that trains pups to sell to military, police etc.

Quote:
Some of these rescues are buying puppies from brokers like in PR and Mexico to bring up to sell. Not all are coming off the streets.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
Oh wow, I read about 6 news articles on this and didn't find one that mentioned it was for resale only. I still wonder if this would apply to something like a kennel that trains pups to sell to military, police etc.

Some of these rescues are buying puppies from brokers like in PR and Mexico to bring up to sell. Not all are coming off the streets.
The military have their own people that go over and test and select dogs. Most are getting year old dogs or older anyway. They want hips checked at least and training anything less than a year old dog is a waste of time for them. They want dogs mostly physically and mentally mature to handle training and then get put to work.

And even so, they're selecting dogs to work for them, not for the purpose of selling. For police it's the same. They aren't wasting time with puppies, they want young adults that are mostly physically and mentally mature to handle the training and then put on the street. Most work directly with a broker/trainer, so they're sent over to get dogs specifically for them.

Not many brokers/trainers are going to get a bunch of puppies to bring back and hang on to for 6+ months to see how they turn out.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:42 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Rabid dog imported by rescue from Iraq
http://www.cdc.gov/MMWr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5739a3.htm

In this case over 200 dogs were brought in from Puerto Rico by a rescue, over 100 died due to parvo, over 40 were tested positive for distemper, and they were infected with a wide variety of internal parasites. They were all supposed to be over 4 months old and vaccinated. Some were as young as 4 weeks.
http://www.naiaonline.org/uploads/Wh...ortTragedy.pdf

This article mentions several different instances where rabid dogs were imported by rescues. http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=3765973&page=1

Also, it really sucks to have to get rabies shots. I hope nobody here ever has to have them.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:14 AM
Top Dog

No, it doesn't apply to dogs purchased for training as working (police, military, service) dogs.

This regulation doesn't really have an impact on "dog folk". The CDC enforcement of the rabies law has a much much larger impact.

Six months is likely because the earliest a dog can get the rabies vax is 12 weeks, then they can't get a health certificate for another 30 days. That's why it's not just 10 weeks or whatever. I don't know why 6 instead of five months. Probably just general robustness.