Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-30-2014, 12:54 PM
Top Dog

It does depend on the dog.

Generally speaking, citronella is not a strong enough aversive to do more than interrupt the behavior temporarily.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:35 PM
orange iguanas.

Haha thanks guys. I think at this point even an interrupter is fine and she sort of strikes me as the type that would get the message. It's habit for her now, she never barked for like the first month we had her and then it was like once she started she couldn't contain herself lol. I definitely want my mom to figure out something else though because obviously it's not so much a Cajun problem if she doesn't do it with me!

I've never seen a vibration bark collar? I don't know if that would startle her enough either depending on the. ..intensity lol of the vibration.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 07-30-2014, 03:17 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Haha thanks guys. I think at this point even an interrupter is fine and she sort of strikes me as the type that would get the message. It's habit for her now, she never barked for like the first month we had her and then it was like once she started she couldn't contain herself lol. I definitely want my mom to figure out something else though because obviously it's not so much a Cajun problem if she doesn't do it with me!

I've never seen a vibration bark collar? I don't know if that would startle her enough either depending on the. ..intensity lol of the vibration.
I just purchased the Bark Limiter by recommendation of a schutzhund friend. It also has a vibration setting. Anxious to try it out. Recon will be on vibrate, Patton will not.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 07-30-2014, 11:31 PM
orange iguanas.

So I picked one up today (the citronella kind) and while I was gone, my mom put it on her when she let her outside... she got sprayed once and apparently it kind of startled the crap out of her lol and she came running back inside. Which makes me feel bad because right now, she doesn't get WHAT caused it... but admittedly I'm glad to hear that she doesn't ENJOY it

Oh Cajun. Just quit being a naughtypants. <3

Old 08-01-2014, 11:26 PM
orange iguanas.

I would just like to say that barking has been a non-existent problem the last 2 days

A lot of times we don't even remember to turn the collar on, but Cajun seems to have learned quickly to tone the barking down. She will let out a small, quiet woof at appropriate times like when someone first walks through the front door (and we don't even have her wear the collar inside the house), but there is no more of this persistent, echoing WOOFWOOFBARKWOOF as she patrols the perimeter of our yard or when a family member comes home.

So far, excellent purchase, and I think my mom's stress level has went down 1000% now that she can freely let Cajun outside without having to worry about her being a nuisance.