Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-29-2014, 09:22 PM
orange iguanas.

Default Citronella bark collars

Yay or nay? Experiences?

My mom is having a problem with Cajun barking. Basically every time she lets her outside (which is a lot), Cajun has to let out her deep, booming bark to announce her presence. It's kind of annoying I guess, especially when it's 6am. My mom is horribly inconsistent with any sort of training.

Note: it's pretty rare that she barks when I let her outside

I'm not really interested in trying an electronic one with her, I don't necessarily think they're cruel it's just not how I want to address this issue. I THINK she would respond well enough to just a little distraction. She just likes to hear herself but she doesn't get lost in a frenzy or anything.

Also, do these things have a high likelihood of needing to be used forever? Ideally she'd just get the picture that she's being a knucklehead, stop barking, and not need the collar anymore

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 07-29-2014, 09:31 PM
such sights to show you

I used one briefly with Maisy. It worked well enough for what I needed it for at the time, but I will say even in the short term she learned to test if it was empty or the battery was dead.

Old 07-29-2014, 10:39 PM
Puppy Dog

I adopted a 10yo pit bull several years ago, and she had this horrible habit of standing out there and barking, getting lost in it. I didn't want to do the shock collar thing, so I got a citronella collar. It worked well for a few weeks, but she gradually stopped caring, and no, she certainly never stopped barking.

I moved on to a shock collar that started with vibration then moved up in intensity. She learned that thing very well. She even seemed to learn that it reset itself after 30 seconds, so if she barked once and got a vibration, she'd wait a bit and bark again so it'd be another vibration instead of a shock. She never stopped barking, and she would regularly test the batteries. She was a stubborn one
Old 07-29-2014, 10:54 PM
Top Dog

All it did for Patton was keep the bugs away. It soaked him and he did not mind.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 07-29-2014, 11:18 PM
Duuuuude.

I used one on Rowan when we worked at the dog daycare. He learned that rapid fire barking would empty it and then he was free to bark without getting sprayed.

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff
Old 07-30-2014, 05:55 AM
orange iguanas.

Lol oh God, well hopefully my dog is dumb

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 07-30-2014, 06:30 AM
Top Dog

I know someone who used one on her toy breeds with pretty much the same experience as already stated.

How about a vibration collar (not shock)? I just bought one for Caleb. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, tho- the only time I really have an issue is when I'm setting up for Rally at the training center.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:33 AM
The Monster.

It worked well in conjunction with training/desensitizing when I needed to keep Mega quiet in the apartment. I started using it on Cohen to quell her back yard barking, but then I misplaced the citronella can and haven't used it in a while and her barking is back up to full force. So, while I can't say that I've used it much, I would say that as a 1-step cure it's not long lasting, but in conjunction with other methods I've seen results.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 07-30-2014, 09:47 AM
Top Dog

I've used one on Skye...it did help with her, but yes she gets collar smart very easily and knows when it is on or not. Her barking was more or less inside, attention type stuff. I was using it mostly when my mom was working overnights and sleeping during the day, and Skye would go off barking randomly. She would not bark when it was on. It did not "cure" anything long term though. I did find though that any loud noise in the house would set it off, which was kind of unfair...any other dogs barking, or running through the house. But I don't like leaving a collar with prongs on a dog all day for fear of pressure sores.

Old 07-30-2014, 09:56 AM
Top Dog

My friends used it on their dog who barked outside, and it worked well. She never seemed to test it, and they could put it on her empty or without batteries. She knew enough to bark if it wasn't on, but otherwise didn't figure it out. I guess it depends on the dog!

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12