Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 02-12-2005, 07:31 PM
Active Pup

Question Innova

so I read in a different post that Innova is a good dog food.. they do sell it near me lso so I could easily pick some up but when i visited their site they had a lot of different types of food there like Innova EVO and others. is a certain type the better one? or are they all good? thanx!
Old 02-12-2005, 08:25 PM
Island dweller

They are all good but EVO is processed differently and most people find that their dogs do extremely well on it. Renee and Mordy will probably tell you more about it.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:51 AM
no touchy

They are all good, but IE is probably the best. The only thing I don't like about it is they act as if their kibble is better than raw . (I'm a raw/kibble person)
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:46 PM
Felurian

Gaddy, the reason it can be better than raw is because it is balanced and complete. Most people who feed raw really don't have a concept of what makes a satisfactory raw diet, so no, their dogs are not being fed as well as they would on the EVO.

Another thing to remember with raw feeding is that all raw meats should be thoroughly frozen before thawing and feeding. There is a thread here that discusses that. There is a parasite (or bacteria - can't remember specifically) that can be deadly under that wrong circumstances that is killed by deep freezing.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian

Last edited by Renee750il; 02-14-2005 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:42 PM
Quigleyfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
Most people who feed raw really don't have a concept of what makes a satisfactory raw diet, so no, their dogs are not being fed as well as they would on the EVO.
i think that is definitely an important point to bring up.

there are a lot of people out there who just feed a "whatever diet" without putting much thought into actual nutritional requirements.

and for what it's worth - a friend of mine who has been a (very educated) raw feeder for over 6 years fed her 3 dogs innova evo for 2 weeks recently (she was on the road with one dog and her hubby had to feed the two others at home), and she said as much as it made her mad to admit it, her dogs did better on the evo than on an all raw diet.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 02-14-2005, 10:12 AM
Felurian

And you know, Mordy, I missed the fact that Innova is manufacturing from organic sources. I've talked about it in other threads, but the meat you buy from the store or butcher shop isn't what you think it is.

We raise Black Angus beef cattle, and you'd be appalled at the stuff they want us to shoot into our cattle; hormones, antibiotics, chemicals, ad nauseum. We don't. The beef we eat tastes and looks nothing like the junk you buy. I understand the poultry industry is far worse, feeding poultry meals made from all sorts of sources, adding hormones and chemicals to the diets. Finding true organic meat sources for the end-consumer is extremely difficult and very expensive, unless you find an independent farmer who will sell you a beef (on the hoof) and take it to a slaughterhouse for you.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-14-2005, 12:27 PM
no touchy

It is important to research a diet before feeding it, and we have certainly done that. We use our holistic veterinarian's raw meat diet recipe(s) that are completely balanced. It certainly is easier to feed kibble and I do recommend IE, but it is IMO dumb of Natura Pet to act as if feeding kibble is better for my dogs.
Just sleeping.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:37 PM
Felurian

They aren't acting as if feeding kibble is better for your particular dogs; those are very general ads, and for the vast majority of dogs it is true. And if you don't have access to real, unadulterated, organic ingredients even the best raw diet contains toxins not found in the Natura products. I've sat through the specialized ag seminars for beef producers and had to keep my mouth shut while the researchers, market experts and other "authorities" spouted about what is required to receive top dollar from the stockyard and feed lot sales - and the highly touted "certified Angus" is among some of the more adulterated product.

I'm certainly glad my dogs aren't eating anything regularly that comes from a grocery store or butcher shop. I only wish the ingredients in MY food were half as good! I'd probably be healthier, too, if I just had a bowl of my dogs' EVO a couple of times a day . . .

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-14-2005, 02:00 PM
Island dweller

LOL I'd like to see that! Will you eat it with milk? Nice doggy cereal.

I'll have to agree with you, Renee. Innova is a very impressively ethical company. And the crap that is meat these days is one of the reasons I"ve given them up. Blah.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:58 PM
no touchy

I'm not saying I don't like their products---I love them and recommend their foods and treats---but I am saying IMO raw is healthier than kibble/wet. And yes, they do indeed act as if IE is better than raw. We picked up a pamphlet for it at a local kibble store and they certainly did act as if their food is better. I'm not saying I don't like their foods---I'm totally impressed by the ingredients---but I am saying I don't like the way they act about it.
Just sleeping.