Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 07-18-2014, 03:22 PM
Top Dog

Default Just curious about this ingredient list...

I got a sample bag of dog food in the mail today (why, I have no idea). For political reasons, I won't touch anything from this "company". But, I looked at the ingredient list for the heck of it. What do you all think?

Ingredients:
Turkey, Turkey Meal, Chicken Meal, Dried Peas, Tapioca Starch, Whole Dry Potatoes, Poultry Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Whole Flaxseed, Natural Chicken Flavor, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Choline Chloride, Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Niacin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:13 PM
Top Dog

Not awesome but not bad. Three meat sources followed by three carb sources. No potentially harmful ingredients that I can see. I'd need to know the protein percentage and would really want to know what percentage of the protein is from animal sources...I wish more companies would say that.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 07-19-2014, 08:46 AM
Top Dog

Guaranteed Analysis
  • Min. 26%Crude Protein
  • Min. 14%Crude Fat
  • Max. 4%Crude Fiber
  • Max. 11%Moisture
  • Min. 1.5%Linoleic Acid (An Omega 6 fatty acid)
  • Min. 1.1%Calcium
  • Min. 0.9%Phosphorus
  • Min. 250 mg/kgZinc
  • Min. 225 IU/kgVitamin E
  • Min. 55 mg/kg*Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)
  • Min. 0.1%*Alpha-Linolenic Acid (An Omega 3 fatty acid)
  • Min. 750 mg/kg*Glucosamine (Naturally occurring)
  • Min. 600 mg/kg*Chondroitin Sulfate (Naturally occurring)
  • *Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
Not awesome but not bad...
That's pretty much what I was thinking, too. Although, especially with this company, I am concerned about where the meat is from. One of their other formulas almost killed one of the dogs across the street a couple of years ago.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:04 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Hmmm. If the price was right, I'd consider feeding it. So I obviously don't think it's a horrible food. Lol

Old 07-19-2014, 09:20 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
Hmmm. If the price was right, I'd consider feeding it. So I obviously don't think it's a horrible food. Lol
I'd probably give it a try if it weren't for my political issues with them and what happened to my neighbor's dog (their customer service when it happened was awful, too).
Old 07-20-2014, 08:08 AM
Love my pets

Would you mind sharing the name of the company?
Old 07-20-2014, 09:05 AM
Top Dog

It's Rachel Ray Nutrish Zero Grain (Turkey & Potato).
Old 07-20-2014, 09:29 PM
Top Dog

I just got a bag of the Nutrish Turkey GF posted above last week.

I have NO idea if this was coincidence or not (it may very well be) but I started feeding it to Jackson around Tuesday, I would mix it with his old food (we rotate a lot and use a lot of different food though, his tummy is always fine with fast switches) and then Friday morning, he puked one time. I just thought ok, something didn't sit right, or whatever. We had plans to go the beach that day and he was lively, active, running around. We got home and later on, he was acting funny, I could tell not right. I found all of the Nutrish kibble and wet food he had eaten for dinner on the floor puked. He went outside and had a squirt of diarrhea too and threw up a tiny amount one more time. I was concerned I was going to have to take him to the vet but Sat. morning he woke up feeling fine and was starving so I made him some chicken & rice. And then he was absolutely fine.

Again, he could've got sick from the sand at the beach (he was digging a lot) and he was in the salt water but he NEVER drank any of it. And since he had already thrown up once that morning BEFORE we even went to the beach - I am definitely wondering if it was the food. So anyway, this could be pure coincidence but I'm hesitant to feed it again so I probably won't.

Is anything wrong with the plant where it's produced?

I have fed the wet food, the tubs, before with no problems. BUT tonight, (I just ordered a box of the wet food from Chewy.com last week) and all the tubs of wet food have been fine but I opened one tonight (sealed up) and it was AWFUL- rancid and gross smelling. Ugh, it smelled up the whole house. I threw it out and opened a different tub which was normal looking/smelling. But now I probably won't feed the rest - I'm wondering if that's what messed up Jackson's stomach.

He had been eating Farmina and Purina One Beyond before that and was fine. I just switch things up sometimes, but I definitely won't be going back to Nutrish to be safe. Chewy.com even gave me a 2nd bag for free by accident so I'm not sure what to do with it.

Brit & Jackson

Old 07-20-2014, 09:37 PM
dogstrong

I fed a bag of the zero grain from her brand when I was in WA and tight on cash. Salmon and sweet potato, my guys did well on it for the few weeks they were eating it.

Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"
Old 07-20-2014, 09:53 PM
Duuuuude.

I wouldn't feed it just because I'm really picky about not feeding anything unnamed - "Poultry Fat" bothers me, maybe not as much as an even more generic "Animal Fat" would but I still don't like it. Otherwise I agree... ingredients don't look awesome but not too bad either.

Then again based on some things I've read about Nutrish (here and elsewhere) I wouldn't feed it even if it didn't have poultry fat.

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff