Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-10-2014, 12:17 PM
Show Dog

Default What breeds are they?

My friend thought we could create a thread where users could ask about breeds what they are and so on... (We didn't find any thread about this..) So, this thread doesn't need to be only for us. So, my friend thought she could start by asking which breed might the following dogs be?

We have seen this picture on newspaper:

So, does anyone know what breed are those dogs?

In addition to those dogs, my friend is interested in knowing also about these dogs:
She has seen three dogs outside (separately):

1) "miniature" of labrador retreaver. That dog was big but her/his limbs looked a little shorter than lab's, but only a little. He/she was otherwise similar to it. He/she was also black. That dog was probably also some kind of retreaver.

2) The second dog was similar to Malinois. He/she was also lightcolored but his/her whole head was grey. The snout looked narrower than in Malinois.

3) The third dog was very big and she/he had a long hair. My friend doesn't remember what kind of ears she/he had. That dog was brownish. He/she might have had also other colors. His/her barking was peculiar. It sounded like some person would have very bad cough. Note: that dog didn't have a cough but it only sounded like it. That was only a description.

My friend and Asperger
Lotta is funny and playful <<--read more
Old 07-10-2014, 01:03 PM
Behavior Nerd

Quote:
3) The third dog was very big and she/he had a long hair. My friend doesn't remember what kind of ears she/he had. That dog was brownish. He/she might have had also other colors. His/her barking was peculiar. It sounded like some person would have very bad cough. Note: that dog didn't have a cough but it only sounded like it. That was only a description.
Perhaps the dog had been debarked? That can create an odd hoarse bark for sure.

Old 07-11-2014, 05:50 AM
Top Dog

1. was probably a lab. originally labs weren't the 100# plus monsters we now see. also it was common in the breed to be rectangular built instead of square. or could be a lab with very mild dwarfism
Old 07-16-2014, 10:09 AM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
1. was probably a lab. originally labs weren't the 100# plus monsters we now see. also it was common in the breed to be rectangular built instead of square. or could be a lab with very mild dwarfism
My friend would like to add that that dog look slightly different than a labrador retreaver. She thinks that the dog was normal size, not a dwarf...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Perhaps the dog had been debarked? That can create an odd hoarse bark for sure.
That's not possible, because we live in Finland and according to what my friend just read, one is not allowed to make those operations here. Besides, my friend has seen videos of dogs that are operated. They sounded more quiet than those that are not operated whereas that dog had a normal voice. S/he probably sounded like that because there are breeds that simply sound different than others. Like we have told, that dog was big...

So, the question still is: what might those breeds be? Those were only descriptions and my friend is giving also information about the dogs so you can tell what they were.

My friend and Asperger
Old 07-16-2014, 10:50 AM
Behavior Nerd

It's very hard to determine breed or breed mix from just a description - perhaps there might be photos online that look similar you could share?

Old 07-16-2014, 11:04 PM
Active Pup

Default What breeds are they?

Hello!!Thank you for this topic that you and i like this website for the dog...
Old 07-19-2014, 10:14 AM
Show Dog

So,we told that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleonora View Post
We have seen this picture on newspaper:

In addition to those dogs, my friend is interested in knowing also about these dogs:
She has seen three dogs outside (separately):

1) "miniature" of labrador retreaver. That dog was big but her/his limbs looked a little shorter than lab's, but only a little. He/she was otherwise similar to it. He/she was also black. That dog was probably also some kind of retreaver.

2) The second dog was similar to Malinois. He/she was also lightcolored but his/her whole head was grey. The snout looked narrower than in Malinois.

3) The third dog was very big and she/he had a long hair. My friend doesn't remember what kind of ears she/he had. That dog was brownish. He/she might have had also other colors.
That dog was otherwise similar to Sarplaninac

Here is an article about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarplaninac

However, the barking of that breed sounds normal whereas his/her barking was peculiar. It sounded like some person would have very bad cough. Note: that dog didn't have a cough but it only sounded like it. That was only a description.

So, the question is: was that dog some other similar breed or is it still possible that it would had been Sarplaninac although his/her barking sounded different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
It's very hard to determine breed or breed mix from just a description - perhaps there might be photos online that look similar you could share?
Maybe you can link dog pictures and we could tell if some of them look similar to those other two (dog no. 1 & 2).

My friend and Asperger
Old 07-19-2014, 10:54 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Labs tend to come in all shapes and sizes to be honest.... I've seen many many variations, all look different from one another, but all labs.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 07-19-2014, 12:08 PM
Top Dog

Mostly unrelated, but I know a couple dogs that bark like ducks. They haven't been debarked, they just sound funny.

Old 07-27-2014, 04:52 AM
Show Dog

Does anyone still know what these dogs are:
Quote:

......//......

1) "miniature" labrador retreaver. That dog was big but her/his limbs looked a little shorter than lab's, but only a little. He/she was otherwise similar to it. He/she was also black. That dog was probably also some kind of retreaver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Labs tend to come in all shapes and sizes to be honest.... I've seen many many variations, all look different from one another, but all labs.
We told earlier that that dog looked slightly different to labrador retriever. My friend wanted to add that the shape of the head of that dog was different to lab. So, does anyone know other black retrievers that are similar to lab?

Quote:
2) The second dog was similar to Malinois. He/she was also lightcolored but his/her whole head was grey. The snout looked narrower than in Malinois
Does anyone still know what breed that was?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iriskai View Post
Mostly unrelated, but I know a couple dogs that bark like ducks. They haven't been debarked, they just sound funny.
You are probably saying that one individual might sound slightly different to other dogs of the same breed. Based on that comment it seems like one of the dogs we have asked about might have been Sarplaninac although s/he sounded different.

My friend and Asperger