Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-05-2014, 02:55 PM
Dogless

Default Suggest a breed

First off, I'm no where to getting a dog. It will be at least four years until I'll have a dog. It just depends on college, how finically stable I am, where I'll be living,& the time I have. So, once I'm settled down, are finically stable enough for a dog,& have the time for one- that's when I'll be obtaining a dog.

-I'm an active person,& I'll want a dog that can keep up with me. So a medium to high energy dog is preferred.But, I don't want Malinois energy.I'm willing to do exercise the dog for about two hours a day. Not counting training. I'm pretty sure I'll be involved in dogsports, mainly agility. But, other sports are possibility

-Has an off-switch

-Velcro dog

-10 to 60 pounds. As for right now, I'm not wanting a large dog.

-Fur doesn't bother me. So the amount the dog sheds, doesn't matter. I don't love grooming. But, I'm willing to groom four to six times a week. Everyday when the dog is blowing it's coat. I'd like to avoid to taking the dog to groomer, because I'll be coming right out of college, & I probably won't have tons of money. But, that is dependent on when I get a dog, so it might change.

-People friendly. But, not, I love everyone friendly.

-Can generally be trust off-leash.

-Not prone to DA.

-Has a high drive.

-Very Biddable

-Can tolerate 90+ weather,& under freezing temperature(4 seasons).

-No brachycephalic dogs. I'm wanting agile dog.

-Is generally easy to motivate. Loves to please.

-Soft temperament. I'm not wanting a dog that had a "hard" temperament.

Jazzy 5 y/o. Siberian

~A dog doesn't care if you're rich or poor, educated or illiterate, clever or dull. Give him your heart and he will give you his.~
Old 07-05-2014, 04:26 PM
Top Dog

Elsie fits, but Zoey doesn't--the right terv could be what you're looking for.

Elsie's friendly with new people, but she's pretty standoffish, and if they're weird or I'm upset, she's protective. Zoey's aggressive/protective with strangers, and there are many tervs that are fully friendly with strangers.

Elsie can't run hard in 95+ weather, but we play fetch for 20-30 minutes outside when it's 85, and as long as she has access to shade and water, she's fine. She's higher energy than the GSDs I grew up with, but on the low-medium side for a Belgian. She settles well in the house now that she's an adult, as long as she's given enough to do. We go to class twice a week for two hours, and on days we don't go to class she probably does 1-2 hours of activity a day--training, walks, fetch, all that. Some days more, some days less. She's willing to go as long as you are.

Her coat is easy; she's never had a bad mat, and I brush her 1-3 times a week.

Elsie's very soft, and she can be a little fearful. She's an extremely hard worker, and she's a really fun dog.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:20 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I'd say Labrador, but they're a bit happy. Although, honestly, I've been around quite a few polite Labs that don't seek out other people unless they're solicited.

German Shorthair Pointer? Viszla? I'd be worried about their short coat in cold weather, but they are gundogs and pretty hardy.

I think a lot of the gun dogs would work, honestly. Also various herders. Border Collie and Aussie come to mind.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:13 PM
Silence, peasants.

Border collies do sound like a good fit, you'd just have to research and make sure to avoid harder tempered lines. I would caution against a female BC if you really don't want dog aggression, I wouldn't say they're super prone or all are like this, but I've seen a lot with a short fuse and an edge towards other dogs.

Feistea, ze Blog
Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 07-05-2014, 07:30 PM
I'm All Ears

I still think going and meeting a bunch of dogs would be the best bet, especially since it's your first dog. Nothing is better than a hands on getting to meet and see breeds.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:38 PM
Taxiderpy

Wirehaired pointing griffons fit all the things. ALL THE THINGS.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:53 PM
Vizsla mom

Vizsla fits. I live in the depths of frozen Hell and Penn does fine wearing nothing if we are continuously moving& a jacket if she needs to be crated in the cold. She does, however, LOVE people. Granted, she wouldn't pull off focus to interact but yeah.. if a new person shows up& that's the most interesting thing there is she will gladly go visit.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:25 PM
Dogless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Apricot View Post
Elsie fits, but Zoey doesn't--the right terv could be what you're looking for.

Elsie's friendly with new people, but she's pretty standoffish, and if they're weird or I'm upset, she's protective. Zoey's aggressive/protective with strangers, and there are many tervs that are fully friendly with strangers.

Elsie can't run hard in 95+ weather, but we play fetch for 20-30 minutes outside when it's 85, and as long as she has access to shade and water, she's fine. She's higher energy than the GSDs I grew up with, but on the low-medium side for a Belgian. She settles well in the house now that she's an adult, as long as she's given enough to do. We go to class twice a week for two hours, and on days we don't go to class she probably does 1-2 hours of activity a day--training, walks, fetch, all that. Some days more, some days less. She's willing to go as long as you are.

Her coat is easy; she's never had a bad mat, and I brush her 1-3 times a week.

Elsie's very soft, and she can be a little fearful. She's an extremely hard worker, and she's a really fun dog.
Hmm. I've never really consisered a GSD before. I really do like some of the GSD working lines. But, I'm not sure if it would be a right fit as a first dog.

It won't get 90+ degrees that often, but, the dog certainly needs tolerate cold weather. Our winters/cold weather lasts about 4 months.

I've looked into Terv's before, but barely. I do like a them. So they are consideration. I've heard many Terv's are a step down from Malinois. Which is good because Malinois are too much dog for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
Border collies do sound like a good fit, you'd just have to research and make sure to avoid harder tempered lines. I would caution against a female BC if you really don't want dog aggression, I wouldn't say they're super prone or all are like this, but I've seen a lot with a short fuse and an edge towards other dogs.
Border Collies are there definitely up there on my list.They have many of the qualities I want. What worries me is the DA,& that some BC's aren't as people friendly as I'm looking

Another thing is that there seems to be such a variation in temperament,& energy levels in different BC lines.

I have to admit,I'd love to have a BC like Feist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I still think going and meeting a bunch of dogs would be the best bet, especially since it's your first dog. Nothing is better than a hands on getting to meet and see breeds.
I'm still planning on meeting by go to trails, talking to breeders, go to pet expos,& others dog related events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Wirehaired pointing griffons fit all the things. ALL THE THINGS.
I've never even considered them, so I know nothing about the breed. I'll start look into the breed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yv0nne View Post
Vizsla fits. I live in the depths of frozen Hell and Penn does fine wearing nothing if we are continuously moving& a jacket if she needs to be crated in the cold. She does, however, LOVE people. Granted, she wouldn't pull off focus to interact but yeah.. if a new person shows up& that's the most interesting thing there is she will gladly go visit.
Vizslas are gorgeous, but I'm not getting a dog just for looks(if I did, I end up with Borzoi or Saluki). I need to look into them too.

Jazzy 5 y/o. Siberian

~A dog doesn't care if you're rich or poor, educated or illiterate, clever or dull. Give him your heart and he will give you his.~
Old 07-06-2014, 01:37 PM
Top Dog

I agree with a working line GSD, probably female to fit in your size limits.
Old 07-06-2014, 02:00 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTheSibe View Post
Hmm. I've never really consisered a GSD before. I really do like some of the GSD working lines. But, I'm not sure if it would be a right fit as a first dog.

It won't get 90+ degrees that often, but, the dog certainly needs tolerate cold weather. Our winters/cold weather lasts about 4 months.

I've looked into Terv's before, but barely. I do like a them. So they are consideration. I've heard many Terv's are a step down from Malinois. Which is good because Malinois are too much dog for me.
The cold shouldn't be a problem. The only time I've seen Elsie cold was when we went camping and it was 14 degrees F--she was only cold because we were just sitting around doing nothing and the sun had gone down. Moving around she was fine--and that was probably mostly due to her not having ever been exposed to really cold weather.

She went swimming when there was snow on the ground, no problem.

I'd meet some tervs, see how they fit. They're nutters, but fun!

And Elsie's only 36lbs.