Fine tune your house training

MoparStar

Try not; DO or do not
Once your puppy or dog knows where they are supposed to "go", you can introduce a bell. You will need 2 or 3 jingle bells (think hideous xmas decorations, you KNOW you got some!) a choke style collar and a hook. Attatch one end of the collar to the jingle bells, install hook in the wall next to the door you will be taking your dog in and out through, so that the bells are approximately at the dog's nose level. Whenever you take your dog out, hit the bell with your hand and say "Out" or whatever you choose. Most dogs get the drift very quickly, often after 2 or 3 times. It is a great tool for your dog to communicate their need to you. It is important to let your dog make the association with ringing the bell and going outside themselves, and NEVER give food treats as a reward for using the bell. :eek: The reward for using it is the trip outside! The reason I suspend it from a hook on the wall is for easy removal, so that I can take away the "outside on request" option if need be. You can loop it around the doorknob if you don't mind the jingle, but it can be confusing to the dog :confused: . Also, I use the chain so that my determined girls won't break the bells off while home alone. Tried and true, I have used this method all my life, and my granny always had a dog bell. The look of pride your dog gets at having a new way to communicate with you is cool, too. :p Dingo will ring the bell if Meowna is outside wanting in, too! Worth trying, and so easy to teach!

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
This is a great idea!! My friend has even taught her cat to use the bell!

candy722

that sounds cool. should try that one day. I know some people uses the clicker

Barb04

Super Moderator
Wish I thought of a bell. Max first turns on the outside light by using the light switch, and if I don't see that, then he chews on the door handle. If I'm in the living room, he goes into the hallway and turns the light switch on and off over & over again until I get the idea. He sometimes jumps onto the sliding door in the back; I'm thankful for thick doors. What else will he think of?

That's one smart pup, Barb! Shiva and Kharma both poke me with their noses then go poke the doorknob. If I don't get up quickly enough to suit them they smack the door with those big feet and give me "The Look." :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.