Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-26-2014, 02:30 AM
CrystalGSD's Avatar
CrystalGSD CrystalGSD is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 486
Default Suggest a Breed for Me!

No, I'm not getting a puppy soon, more like late 2015 to 2016, but I'm one of those people that plan for no good reason and plan many months in advance... I need a plan! (And yes I made one of these a while ago hehe)

50+ pounds preferred
Shedding ok
I'm not willing to take the dog to the groomers
I love velcro 'I-want-to-be-with-you-and-touching-you-at-all-times' dogs
High energy but with an off switch
Whether the dog is wary of strangers is not of great importance... I would like it if the dog was polite but indifferent
Will be exercised both physically and mentally
Dogs prone to household SSA are ok (Crystal has SSA so the dog would be a male anyways)
Biddable
Reliable off leash (with training)

I keep thinking German Shepherds but I also keep second guessing myself So, yes, please suggest!
__________________

Crystal - female - German Shepherd x Sheltie mix - DOB: 8/1/09 - 40 lbs
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-26-2014, 08:41 AM
GatorDog's Avatar
GatorDog GatorDog is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 487
Default

GERMAN SHEPHERD.

All those things are GSD.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-26-2014, 10:15 AM
GSD4ME GSD4ME is offline
Happy Mountain Dogs
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 6
Default

I agree, GSD.

Why do you second guess yourself? If you already haven't, maybe spend some quality time around german shepherds and pick the brain of their keepers. Or, maybe even volunteer with a rescue.

For our girl, the physical exercise combined with a mental challenge is what really wears her out. She loves hiking, running, chasing, ball, tug, hide & seek, swimming. She most definitely has an "off" switch and always did even when she was a puppy. She turned 8 this month and is still FULL of energy. She herds her Goldy sister and brother, as well as her toys...haha. She is very social (not at all indifferent), but at home doesn't mind having her own space and will go to bed by herself for a rest. Snuggles with her sister & brother and is very loving. Very talkative and constantly communicating...absolutely adore her (my velcro dog)! Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-26-2014, 11:45 AM
*blackrose's Avatar
*blackrose *blackrose is offline
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 6,291
Default

I think a Doberman would also work?

But I agree that if you are interested in a GSD, they sound like a good match!
__________________
Cynder, Daddy's girl Little Lab muttly and Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever
~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-26-2014, 01:35 PM
CrystalGSD's Avatar
CrystalGSD CrystalGSD is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post
GERMAN SHEPHERD.

All those things are GSD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD4ME View Post
I agree, GSD.

Why do you second guess yourself? If you already haven't, maybe spend some quality time around german shepherds and pick the brain of their keepers. Or, maybe even volunteer with a rescue.

For our girl, the physical exercise combined with a mental challenge is what really wears her out. She loves hiking, running, chasing, ball, tug, hide & seek, swimming. She most definitely has an "off" switch and always did even when she was a puppy. She turned 8 this month and is still FULL of energy. She herds her Goldy sister and brother, as well as her toys...haha. She is very social (not at all indifferent), but at home doesn't mind having her own space and will go to bed by herself for a rest. Snuggles with her sister & brother and is very loving. Very talkative and constantly communicating...absolutely adore her (my velcro dog)! Hope this helps.
I second guess myself because I thought I was thinking of German Shepherds because that's what I wanted to hear haha. My neighbor has two well-mannered German Shepherds that sound like yours, and I've admired GSDs for a long time, I just never knew if they were really right for me or if I was just looking at them through rose-colored glasses

Now I'm leaning towards GSDs like 7x more than I already was!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
I think a Doberman would also work?

But I agree that if you are interested in a GSD, they sound like a good match!
I've had Dobies suggested to me before. I would love one of these, too, and they are definitely beautiful dogs.
__________________

Crystal - female - German Shepherd x Sheltie mix - DOB: 8/1/09 - 40 lbs
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-26-2014, 02:05 PM
GatorDog's Avatar
GatorDog GatorDog is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 487
Default

The only thing about GSD's is the crappy breeding practices and wide popularity that have lead to serious downfall in the health of the breed as a whole. Do you have any ideas of who you're looking at as your breeder yet?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-26-2014, 02:23 PM
LostAndConfused's Avatar
LostAndConfused LostAndConfused is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hudson Valley
Posts: 3,203
Default

I think a GSD sounds like it would fit, but thinking outside of that box

- Bouvier?
- Berger Picard
- Rottie?
- Giant Schnauzer
__________________
allons-y!



Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012


Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012


Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-26-2014, 02:26 PM
CrystalGSD's Avatar
CrystalGSD CrystalGSD is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post
The only thing about GSD's is the crappy breeding practices and wide popularity that have lead to serious downfall in the health of the breed as a whole. Do you have any ideas of who you're looking at as your breeder yet?
No idea yet. I know I'd like a working bred dog, but I also know there are a bunch of different lines among the working lines (DDR, West German, etc) but I don't know a whole lot about them. I've looked at GerdesHaus, Van Meerhout, and GermelHaus, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAndConfused View Post
I think a GSD sounds like it would fit, but thinking outside of that box

- Bouvier?
- Berger Picard
- Rottie?
- Giant Schnauzer
Thanks for the suggestions! I've never encountered a Bouvier or a Berger Picard, so I think it would be interesting to meet some!
__________________

Crystal - female - German Shepherd x Sheltie mix - DOB: 8/1/09 - 40 lbs

Last edited by CrystalGSD; 06-26-2014 at 02:30 PM. Reason: didn't see the post above me :P
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-26-2014, 05:54 PM
GSD4ME GSD4ME is offline
Happy Mountain Dogs
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalGSD View Post
I second guess myself because I thought I was thinking of German Shepherds because that's what I wanted to hear haha. My neighbor has two well-mannered German Shepherds that sound like yours, and I've admired GSDs for a long time, I just never knew if they were really right for me or if I was just looking at them through rose-colored glasses
Okay, gotcha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalGSD View Post
Now I'm leaning towards GSDs like 7x more than I already was!
...hehe!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-26-2014, 06:23 PM
Muttkip's Avatar
Muttkip Muttkip is offline
LABRADERP!
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jefferson, Ga
Posts: 734
Default

Just going out on a limb, because I can

Lab?
__________________
Team Gunslinger
Rockin' the dock with Dixie Dock Dogs!
Gunslinger's Wanted Dead or Alive SJ-R "The Outlaw"
10/01/2013
Gunslinger's Snowfall Banshee Scream "Takoda"
03/22/2010
Forever in my heart
Murray's Bojangles is High Rollin' "Beau"
11/03/2002-11/21/2013
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site