Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 06-24-2014, 07:37 PM
Bored Now.

At a $350 month payment for 60 months, you're looking at about a $18k car assuming average taxes, interest, etc etc and 0 down. If you're putting more money down, you can look at even a $20k car.

If you look lightly used, your money will go farther. I saved $4k just on price by getting mine with 4,000 miles on it. MSRP was around $25, it would have sold around $24, and I bought it for $20. WIN. Lease returns, rentals, or "oops my lifestyle changed" cars are easy to find in this class. I have about 10 Mazda3s on the lot currently, most under $20k, most get 40mpg highway. Look at Mazda dealers near you - they probably have the same. Look for the ones with the blue rings in the headlamps. I suggest a hatchback, you'll be thrilled with the space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Not sure if it'll fit your payments, but I'd go for an Impreza hatchback if you can - loads more cargo flexibility, great mpgs for an AWD vehicle, and safe and reliable as all get out.

Other hatchbacks that might be possibilities: Honda Fit (I've heard great things about cargo capacity), Toyota Prius V (hybrid so great mpg and a surprising amount of cargo space), Mazda 3 (DH has a sedan Mazda 3 that he adores! It gets about 38-40mpg, mostly highway), Kia Soul (I have friends who love theirs, and the brands reliability has gotten a lot better), Toyota Yaris (I think MandyPug on here has one - they seem like neat cars).

I got a Toyota for my next vehicle because of the reliability. I'm expecting to get 300k out of my RAV. Honestly that's the biggest reason I stayed away from the Kia that was my other finalist - I just know my RAV can handle my 36k/yr driving and I wasn't sure a Kia could keep up.
Bolded are suggestions I agree with. Yaris, V, and Fit I would only recommend in the hatchback versions. The sedans probably wouldn't have enough space. The impreza might not get the fuel economy, though.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:40 PM
Bored Now.

Here. . . Just add your zip code and tweak miles and pricing if you can edit this search. http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchr...=50&slrTypeId=

I searched for 2006+, 40k or fewer miles, and hatchback.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:05 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Thank you, Nolu!

Looking more indepth at the Mazda3, it seems like a really great car, but if I don't go with a hatchback version the trunk space is less than my Civic was - and that was small. O.o Definitely want something on the larger end.

Hubby also wants to stick with the lower end of the price spectrum. I was thinking around $18,000, he wants around $10,000 (I refuse, because I want low miles and more up to date technologies whereas he is like, "Who cares if it has manual windows, no cruise control, and manual locks!" I care, that's who.). I think we're going to compromise and meet in the middle around $15,000 or less.

I think if he had his way, he'd be buying a used base model, manual Nissan Versa. Which is just fine for him if he wants a new commuter car, but I would like something a bit "more".

Does anyone have any opinions at all about the Chevy Sonic (And/or Chevy Cruze)? It caught my eye and has continued to do so. Everything I'm reading about it *seems* good. But I know that means nothing.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Last edited by *blackrose; 06-26-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:19 PM
<--------Orson

BlackRoses, I posted about mazda in the other car thread.

I would suggest googling mazda immobilizer problems and reading forum threads/complaints and stuff.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
BlackRoses, I posted about mazda in the other car thread.

I would suggest googling mazda immobilizer problems and reading forum threads/complaints and stuff.
I had something similar happen with my Oldesmobile Intrigue, only it happened closer to 180,000 miles. Equally as annoying, and it was an expensive fix. Don't really wish to do that again.

I think I'm leaning farther away from the Mazda3 simply due to the cargo room. I don't see many hatchbacks being offered for sale in my price range and I don't want a tiny trunk again if I can help it.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly

Old 06-26-2014, 09:02 PM

Eh, nevermind. Lol

Old 06-26-2014, 10:26 PM
Top Dog

I posted about the Chevy Cruze in the other thread!
Old 06-27-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaLilBitaLuck View Post
I posted about the Chevy Cruze in the other thread!
I read! Hahaha

My brother works as grease monkey and he said the shop owner also has good things to say about the Cruze, as does a friend. A coworker drove a rental cruze up to Michigan (so...1000 miles?) and she loved it. Looks like I may have the car I'm looking for! (Unless I stumble across a used hatchback Mazda3. So far slim pickings with that.)

Old 06-27-2014, 03:00 PM
Top Dog

My husband has a Cruze. Bought in summer 2011 and really likes it. It's a nice car, I don't mind driving it, but I'm a hatchback person. Gas mileage is normally low 30s, so it definitely doesn't meet that requirement. I don't know if two large, crateless dogs would fit super well. Normally Hudson and his 'stuff' takes up the back see, but maybe he has too much stuff, lol

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 06-27-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAndConfused View Post
My husband has a Cruze. Bought in summer 2011 and really likes it. It's a nice car, I don't mind driving it, but I'm a hatchback person. Gas mileage is normally low 30s, so it definitely doesn't meet that requirement. I don't know if two large, crateless dogs would fit super well. Normally Hudson and his 'stuff' takes up the back see, but maybe he has too much stuff, lol
I'm assuming it isn't any smaller than a Honda Civic?

As for gas mileage, I'm a little lenient. Once we moved down south and out of nasty cold weather my Civic was getting low 30s town, with close to 40 highway. I'd love better, but will be happy with about the same.