Superficial reasons you aren't into certain breeds?

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
So superficial reasons I'm not into certain dogs:

Solid colors
Droopy ears
Droopy anything
Snorting
Drooling
Potato shape
Buggy eyes
Potato shape, trying to think...like bulldogs?
If so, add that to my list as well.

I like a nice lean, streamlined build like a Border Collie.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I would love to own a Curly Coated Retriever.

But they have a curly coat. And I don't know if I can get over that. Which is horrible, but true. Because otherwise, I think they'd be brilliant.

AmandaNola

Wanna Pet My Wiener?
What I absolutely will not compromise on:
Droopy eyes
Bi-color eyes
Super long (basset, bloodhound) ears
Cropped ears
Flat faces
Bulging eyes
Super floofy like a rough collie, Sheltie, OESD
Bulldog like bodies
Super short legs and long bodies. Nola's a dachshund, but she is very moderate in type and that's the only kind I'd have.
Excessive white in Merles
Tear stains. Nasty

Not ideal, but will compromise on:
Shedding
Docked or bobbed tails
Prick ears
Light colored noses
This is weird, but I don't care for green/gold/light brown eyes. I like blue or a rich, dark brown, the darker the better.
Black and Tans
I prefer solid to patterned

teacuptiger

floor dancer
I don't really want a lab or golden because of how popular they are. It's stupid I know. I have other reasons for not liking labs now, goldens would still probably be a decent match, but the popularity thing (not just numbers but because people love them so much) is a turn off for me. It's like if he's super well behaved and nice people are going to assume it's because he's a golden not because I put a lot of work in. And that will bother me. It's a bad reason to avoid a breed, but I can't get over it.
I am so with you on this.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Tear stains! I don't know what it is, but they totally gross me out. I don't think I could own a hardcore drooler, and I can't stand the texture of poodles hair. I'm not a big fan of white dogs. It wouldn't be a deal breaker, but I'd prefer a different color. I also do not like the look of short haired whippets. I could get over it (DH wants a whippet), but I find myself trying to get him interested in different breeds just because of whippet looks.

I really don't like feathering. I have tried and tried. It's dumb because a lot of the spaniels would probably fit me, but the feathers dull my zest for them.

I tend to like the flashiest version in breeds. So, if I were more into Border Collies, I would choose a blue or red merle waaaaaaaay before a black and white dog.

In general I like dogs that are chunky in a certain way...Shar Pei, Bull Terriers, Dogue de Bordeaux. Loose lips and/or blocky heads and bodies. Dobermans are the exception but even there, I much prefer the "coarser" look and find that a lot of them look overly refined and weedy to me. I prefer heavy-headed bench labs to field labs based purely on aesthetics, and it makes me feel a little guilty.

I'm totally into beards though. Bearded dogs are adorable, and since I'm already accustomed to drool, might as well accept beards too.

Edit: Thought of another one - I'm that jerk who passes up all-black dogs. Like I said, I like the flashiest versions...I've met fantastic black labs, lab mixes, and pit mixes, but I know if I walked into a shelter, I'd leave with a blue pit or a chocolate lab, nothing solid black or yellow. Horribly shallow of me I know :(

This might be the fussiest one yet, but I hate spotted noses. I don't care much for pink, but a speckled nose is a huge no.

I second a lot of what others have said. No bobbed tails, no beard, no poodle coat. Oh, and doodle coat is worse then poodle to me.

The schnauzer scream is a turn off too

And Spacemutt, there's a Quiddich just waiting for you to adopt him......

This might be the fussiest one yet, but I hate spotted noses. I don't care much for pink, but a speckled nose is a huge no.

I second a lot of what others have said. No bobbed tails, no beard, no poodle coat. Oh, and doodle coat is worse then poodle to me.

The schnauzer scream is a turn off too

And Spacemutt, there's a Quiddich just waiting for you to adopt him......
I knooooow, don't remind me, I check his pics and updates on here all the time...I'm less than two months from moving out of a one-dog-limit apartment so I can't get a dog right now, but after that I'll be looking.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Most breeds that I don't like for superficial reasons (drool, whatever) are also breeds that are a poor match for me in other ways, so I won't count those.

Out of the breeds I am actually interested in, my turn-offs are:

- No/docked tail. This one is strong enough that I would walk away from owning the dog. Sport (long) docks are okay though not preferred. Kind of a legit preference though considering a major reason is the change in movement for many of these dogs.

- Blue/mismatched eyes. I think they look awesome in pictures but in person they throw me. I could probably get used to it though.

- Super floofy coats (Shelties). Just not my thing.

- Lots of white. I'd get over it for the right dog but I prefer a completely or mostly-colored dog.

- Non-black pigment. I love a dark liver FCR or BC coat but the red nose and eyerims, not so much. Again, I'd get over it for the right dog.

Just my preferences though.

Romy

Taxiderpy
No weims for the sole reason that weim hoohas and man purses are waaaay too visible from behind and really gross looking. :rofl1:

Dagwall

Not sure if this counts as superficial or not because it does require money spent or time grooming but I don't want any dog with hair requiring to be cut every 4-6 weeks. I've actually really enjoyed the standard poodles I've met but don't want to deal with the grooming.

Strong dislike/aversion to owning:
Bearded dogs
Really droopy hound eyes

Not a deal breaker but likely to avoid most double coated dogs who will blow coat.

I like "flashier" coats like brindles and merles but I'd go with the dogs temperament over their coat everytime. Just lucked out with Jubel being brindle and the happy "I love everyone" personality I like.

SpringerLover

beards
mismatched ears
anything other than brown eyes
noses not completely filled in
docked tails
cropped ears
brachycephalic
prognathic bite
chondroplastic/dwarfism

But I would (and have) not abided by some of those for the right dog (Gabby).

Romy

Taxiderpy
beards
mismatched ears
anything other than brown eyes
noses not completely filled in
docked tails
cropped ears
brachycephalic
prognathic bite
chondroplastic/dwarfism

But I would (and have) not abided by some of those for the right dog (Gabby).
So this isn't your dream dog after all?

Romy

Taxiderpy
:rofl1:

Hence my preference for dropped tails. Ahh no dog junk to be seen.
Zois are good for that reason too. Long horse tails. Lots of butt feathers. You can't even see Strider's junk from the side. Everybody assumes he's a girl.

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
Beards
Short in leg, long in body
Wire hair and curly coats
I prefer some coat (don't like seeing "junk")
Prefer prick ears
I need a dog with a tail

Members online

No members online now.