Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 06-26-2014, 12:07 PM
Top Dog

If I were to go buy new ones, I would get a top loader I just don't like fishing my laundry out of the front loaders, I have one now, only because it came with the house, and I preferred the old one. I did get the pedestals so maybe they will help once I get them mounted.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:19 PM
Top Dog

As I'm only 5 ft. tall, I love love love my front loads! I do have them on pedestals since I got the pedestals on sale for $99 each (the larger ones, too). I bought all my stuff from Home Depot where the washer and dryer were on sale and then they price-matched Lowe's sale on the pedastals. We got an amazing deal! And no more literally falling in head-first trying to retrieve items from the bottom of the washer!

ETA: We had issues with mildew smell, and it transferring to our clothes (eww...yuck!) from our top load, but I've had the GE front-load for more than 3 years with zero smell issues. And I also find that our clothes come out much cleaner. I love that it has a speed wash for lightly soiled clothes, and I super love the antibacterial wash that get junk H-O-T and washes long since my boys like to vomit in beds and on towels. Ours also has an Eco-wash, which uses less water, but I've never used it.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:23 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

If you do get a top load make sure it has one of those tall agitators (like the ones at the laundromats) don't get the ones without an agitator, the clothes end up in a giant knot.

If you can't find a top load with an agitator, than I would get a front load.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:29 AM
Top Dog

I found a set for $20! Used but who cares the people cleaned them lol.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:43 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
As I'm only 5 ft. tall, I love love love my front loads! I do have them on pedestals since I got the pedestals on sale for $99 each (the larger ones, too). I bought all my stuff from Home Depot where the washer and dryer were on sale and then they price-matched Lowe's sale on the pedastals. We got an amazing deal! And no more literally falling in head-first trying to retrieve items from the bottom of the washer!
Oh yeah...and the top loaders, when the lid falls down and hits you. Owch.

Quote:
I love that it has a speed wash for lightly soiled clothes, and I super love the antibacterial wash that get junk H-O-T and washes long since my boys like to vomit in beds and on towels. Ours also has an Eco-wash, which uses less water, but I've never used it.
I love the quick wash feature. I'll admit I mostly use quick wash to wash my everyday clothes. Bedding or really soiled clothes I use the full wash.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:30 AM
Show Dog

I'm one of those people who find that the front loader doesn't clean all that well using the regular cycle. I use the Heavy Soil cycle and still have to pre-treat EVERYTHING.

Still wouldn't go back to top load. Front load is much more gentler on clothes, your clothes are being washed by "squishing" (yeah, I'm the Queen of Technical Terms) rather than by being pulled to the bottom of the drum by the agitator blades/other clothes. Uses less water and less soap.

We use old blankets and comforters for the dogs, bonus is that we can wash a queen sized down duvet.

Yeah, they can develop a bit of an odour, especially if you have dogs. We have to clean the door seal after every use and the drain filters quite frequently.

My dream washer (and if anybody tells my husband I dream about washers, I'll deny it) is one of the ones that has a tank for the detergent and fabric softener. You just select your cycle and away you go. Unless the tank's empty, then that might be a pita.

Old 06-29-2014, 02:43 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Quote:

ETA: We had issues with mildew smell, and it transferring to our clothes (eww...yuck!) from our top load, but I've had the GE front-load for more than 3 years with zero smell issues. And I also find that our clothes come out much cleaner. I love that it has a speed wash for lightly soiled clothes, and I super love the antibacterial wash that get junk H-O-T and washes long since my boys like to vomit in beds and on towels. Ours also has an Eco-wash, which uses less water, but I've never used it.
I have the opposite problem, I am almost 5 ft 10 and I find it a lot easier to get stuff in and out of a top load on pedestals than a front load.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:42 PM
I'm All Ears

Well I got a front load. I found a good deal on one that had a ding on the top. I did check craigslist and couldn't find anything that wasn't an agitator or that wasn't a set (I like my dryer). No agitator again. I had so many issues with that thing.

It seems very half and half on whether people prefer the top loads vs the front load. I heard about equal. And price was about the same too on them.

I am doing the first load now. I probably shouldn't be excited but I am. Haha