Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 06-23-2014, 03:56 PM
I'm All Ears

Default Washers

My washer died and so I am hunting for a new one on Friday.

What's the benefits of a front load vs top load? I had been looking at a front load but a friend said the best kind to get is a top load without an agitator? All I know is I do NOT want an agitator as my last one had one and it would randomly eat clothes.

Suggestions? I'm not looking for super fancy.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:12 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Front loaders use less water; the top loader has to basically fill the drum up with water to cover all the clothes. The front loader, because it spins horizontally, only fills up like 1/3rd of the way. Also the front loader doesn't need an agitator, gravity just dumps the clothes down into the water as it spins. They also spin WAY faster which gets rid of excess water better, which means they dry faster (less time in the dryer.) My parents have a front loader and my dad has just recently started to do laundry in it, and he keeps marveling over how clothes are almost dry when you pull them out. Overall they are just super duper way more energy efficient.

Downside, they are more expensive off the bat, and also, this one is a bit of a PITA for me... if I go "oh shoot, I forgot to get my clothes from my gym bag" and want to add it after I've started the cycle, TOO BAD. The door locks pretty quickly after you start washing (because it's full of water!!!) so you can't open the door and add anything. Top loaders you could always just lift the lid and drop stuff in.

All that said, I sold the old machines that came with my house and bought used front loading machines off craigslist. They are stackable which is important because my house is pretty small. So I'm excited about it. I don't think I'd ever buy a new top loader personally.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-23-2014, 05:03 PM
Higbread Dingbat

I like the front loaders because they can save space. You can stack a dryer on top, or use them as an extra shelf.

But yeah, the front loaders do lock pretty quickly.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:36 PM
<--------Orson

I went through this debate a couple years ago when I decided my (13 year old) set was finally tired out and I'd better get new ones before something bad happened and I had to do without for a time!

There were a couple cons of the front loads that wouldn't work for me. One (as mentioned) can't add forgotten items.....which I am TERRIBLE about!

Two, I was told from several sources (including mother in law) that you need to leave washer door open often to air out or it gets that musty/mildewy smell. (My laundry room is a walk thru to the back door, so the washer door open would be an issue.)

And the last thing that tipped it for me.....a friend of mine who has owned both (currently has front loaders) said the old fashioned top loaders cleaned their clothes better and she wished she had hers back. Her opinion of course, not necessarily a hard truth but it was enough to make go with a top load washer and matching dryer.

Between us though, I still look wistfully at the front loaders when we pass them..........they are so PRETTY and so many colors to choose! LOL Maybe the next new set, all the kids should be grown/gone by then!
Old 06-23-2014, 08:47 PM
Richy Rich HM Twit!

I had a top loader without an agitator, and aside from it dying after 5 years it was a nightmare. It held mildew, it didn't get clothes clean, the clothes would get caught in between the two large flat "agitators" and get ripped. I hated that washer so much that I refused to use it.

We now have a set of Samsung steams and I LOVE them! I even convinced Jules to get a set and she loves them too! They are pricey, but worth every penny IMO! I will also add that ACooper mentioned the mildew/moldy smell with the front loaders if you don't leave the door open -- we leave ours closed and it's never been an issue in the 5 years we've owned them.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:55 PM
Top Dog

We have the mildewy smell in the front loader. We run a sanitize cycle once a week, we leave the door open, or at least slightly open with a cloth. It doesn't leave the smell on the clothes though.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:49 PM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisssAshby View Post
We now have a set of Samsung steams and I LOVE them! I even convinced Jules to get a set and she loves them too! They are pricey, but worth every penny IMO! I will also add that ACooper mentioned the mildew/moldy smell with the front loaders if you don't leave the door open -- we leave ours closed and it's never been an issue in the 5 years we've owned them.
YES! YES! YES!

I can't say enough good things about the Samsung steam machine! It's just magical. I leave the door open after washing most of the time, sometimes it's forget... Either way, no smell.

They are pricey, but here's what we did: we waited until sears had them on sale for 30% off, then went to Lowes. Lowes will match a (local) competitor's price and take 10% off on top off that.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:31 PM
I'm All Ears

I've heard about half and half pro vs anti front loading washers.

I'm going after work to go look at lowes and see what they have. I can't really afford too expensive since i'm in the process of house buying. But I don't want anything super cheap either.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:36 PM
Top Dog

We bought a cheap Whirlpool and it's been working just fine. It seems most of the most expensive ones had more options really, and I don't need them, so didn't feel like spending more for them.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:51 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I've heard about half and half pro vs anti front loading washers.

I'm going after work to go look at lowes and see what they have. I can't really afford too expensive since i'm in the process of house buying. But I don't want anything super cheap either.
I would say try Craigslist... seriously. You won't get a warranty so maybe that's not what you want, but I paid less than half what I would have paid new for my washer/dryer set and nothing was wrong with it, the wife just decided she wanted new ones.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog