Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 06-20-2014, 11:55 AM
Top Dog

Default Tonsil Stones?

Has anyone dealt with them? They are disgusting and I would like to know how to prevent them if you've had success.

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 06-20-2014, 12:02 PM
Puppy Dog

I get them and they are the worst! I haven't really ever tried much to get rid of them aside from digging them out with my fingers and wishing I had my tonsils out as a kid.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:05 PM
Behavior Nerd

My doc said they are often allergy related and mine are definitely a LOT worse in the fall and spring when the allergens peak. She suggested local raw honey as a possible help for the allergies.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:00 PM
Top Dog

I just googled these and wish I hadn't. That looks so unpleasant.

I am a mutant and was born without tonsils, so I'm no help. Would gargling with....something? break them up?
Old 06-20-2014, 04:37 PM
Obey the Toad.

I get these and they're disgusting. I have no solution, just empathy-lol.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:48 PM
Top Dog

I asked my doctor to take my tonsils out because of them and he said no. If anyone has solutions (like honey--thanks, I'll try that) I'm interested too.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:36 PM
Top Dog

I don't know much about them except that they're calcium (and bacteria and all that other mouth grossness) buildups in crevices in your tonsils. I didn't even know that tonsils could have holes until i shone a flashlight into my mouth... That was a shocker. I only first noticed the issue a few months back and I'm in my twenties so it would seem that it's the kind of thing that can become an issue even when it had never been one. I'm trying to gargle salt water regularly during the day and be stringent about tooth brushing... No clue if it'll help.

Thus far it doesn't seem to be causing terrible breath issues (well I haven't heard anything from the boyfriend or family, but I doubt anyone else would say anything out of politeness)...

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 06-20-2014, 11:47 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I get them. I've gotten some huge ones. I get them mostly when I'm sick, and I think my sister said something about they have T cells or white blood cells in them or something. I can't remember, so don't quote me on that.

They suck, but I will just stick a finger in my throat and pry them until they come out. It hurts and usually hurts my tonsils as well, but once they're out they feel so much better. Sometimes they work out on their own, it usually when I'm sick with a bad cold that I get the big ones I have to work out on my own. And yeah, they're disgusting. Don't smell them, ever. I was curious, once. lol.

As far as I know, the only cure is removal of the tonsils. I hadn't heard they could also be caused by allergies, but I don't have allergies, so that may be why I only get them when I'm sick.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:27 AM
Top Dog

I've had these, I had no idea what they were for a while. They're icky for sure. I always just get them out however I can as soon as I notice them. I haven't noticed if they occur more in different parts of the year, I sometimes have allergies so I will try to pay attention and see if they could be related.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:43 AM
Top Dog

I've coughed one up a few times, but never really noticed them otherwise. I find them kind of fascinating, but then again I like picking scabs too.

I have pretty bad allergies, but haven't had the stones (or at least not noticeably) often enough to say I get them seasonally. Per Wiki, carbonated beverages can prevent them from forming/dislodge them; now I'm actually wondering if the times I have had them have coincided with the times I've given up soda for long stretches. I've been mostly off soda for about 6 months now, so I guess I will see.