Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-14-2014, 02:12 PM
Active Pup

Default Pick out a breed for me?

Hi! I'm currently living in rural Oregon on an acre of land. I'd like to go to a reputable breeder for my dog, but I can't decide on what breed.

I'd like a short hair dog, but I can deal with a bit of coat.
Polite with strangers, but mainly sticks with me. I don't have any other dogs, but we get lots of small mammals around and I don't want to have a dog that is driven crazy by it, but I would like them to alert me to strangers.
Good on around 30 mins-1 hour of exercise per day.
Not prone to separation anxiety.
Ball/frisbee crazy.
Biddable.
Medium size would be nice, but I can go smaller or larger.
Not too unhealthy.
Reliable off leash.
Velcro dog, the kind that follows you too the bathroom!

I was thinking a nice golden retriever or a boxer would fit me well, but I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions? Opinions appreciated.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:21 PM
Top Dog

Boxer wasn't the first thing that came my mind at all.

I think a Golden would be a nice choice, but they do tend to be plagued with health issues later on in life.

A Border Collie if you are willing to put in a bit more time possibly on exercise? But I would say mental exercise is more important than physical.

English Shepherd or Aussie?

Brit & Jackson

Old 06-14-2014, 04:27 PM
Behavior Nerd

I'd probably go to a shelter and take out a few lab mixes. It can be hard to find a ball crazy dog who doesn't need a ton of exercise, but it is doable. I'd look at retrievers and retriever mixes of various sorts to find an individual that fits your needs.

Old 06-14-2014, 04:43 PM
LABRADERP!

A nice Lab would be perfect for you!
10/01/2013
Gunslinger's Snowfall Banshee Scream "Takoda"
03/22/2010
Forever in my heart
Murray's Bojangles is High Rollin' "Beau"
11/03/2002-11/21/2013
Old 06-14-2014, 05:10 PM
Active Pup

Thanks for the pointers guys

I think Border Collies are cool dogs, though I'd like to meet a few more. I can do a bit more exercise and what not if the dog meets everything else.

I have no clue what an English Shepherd is, but the only aussie I've ever met was plagued with health problems and very flighty, though they probably weren't a good breed example.

Labs are another option. As odd as it seems, I've actually never met a lab, they aren't very common in my neck of the woods.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:20 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I think the right Labrador would be a great fit. Second the suggestion of a Lab mix from a shelter - I know you said you wanted to go to a breeder, but there are a ton of Lab mixes that would be just what you want.

And I also agree with the English Shepherd suggestion! They sound close to perfect.

If you don't mind a large breed dog, a Chesapeake Bay Retriever came to mind. They're "more dog" than a Lab or Golden would be...more protective, more willful, less excited about greeting strangers and other animals, etc. But depending on what you're looking for and how much effort you want to put in to a dog, they may be something to look in to.

Old 06-15-2014, 02:36 PM
Active Pup

Chessies are cool dogs I'll look into them.

As for Border Collies, they've really sparked my interest. I have a friend with one who she hikes with, and he's a really cool dog that I definitely wouldn't mind having around. They'd probably need more than 30 mins-1 hour, but would an hour and a half (maybe more depending on the day) and some training mixed in would be good?
Old 06-15-2014, 02:54 PM
Silence, peasants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy View Post
Chessies are cool dogs I'll look into them.

As for Border Collies, they've really sparked my interest. I have a friend with one who she hikes with, and he's a really cool dog that I definitely wouldn't mind having around. They'd probably need more than 30 mins-1 hour, but would an hour and a half (maybe more depending on the day) and some training mixed in would be good?
I have a Border Collie, I don't think they'd *need* more than an hour of exercise each day, as long as we're talking running/playing and not just an on-leash steady walk. Really, exercising their minds is super important too. But a huge factor in that is what line you're going with (sport, working, pet, show). In terms of people-friendliness, that does vary. Mine has been in love with strangers since she came home, although she is getting a little more selective as she matures (10 m/o now).

Same thing with the little critters, I know some people who have Border Collies who obsess on their birds/hamsters/whatever and can't be in the room with them, mine doesn't care unless they're out of the cage, and then she likes to lick the bunnies/rats, supervised of course. They are very intense dogs, with quite a different vibe than being around a golden retriever. I know some people that hate the way they stare at you all the time and the energy they give off, but if you like them and their quirks and their weirdness and can provide what they need, they are pretty awesome dogs. Feel free to ask me any questions about them.

Feistea, ze Blog
Old 06-15-2014, 03:06 PM
Top Dog

Depending on what other things you plan to do with the dog, I think an English Shepherd could be a good fit as well.

The coat is somewhere between the working coat of a BC or Aussie & the show coat of those two breeds. My ES, Hudson, doesn't have a super heavy coat, but I know of several with a pretty heavy coat.

Hudson isn't super ball or frisbee crazy, but some are. Hudson doesn't particularly see the point in bringing a ball back if I'm just going to throw it away again. He thinks I'm pretty stupid.

I haven't gone to the bathroom alone since I brought him home. There is a reason that ES owners refer to their dogs as English Shadows

I think the right ES could be a good fit, but it sounds like there are a lot of breeds that could be a good fit for you. If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a message. I am not as educated as some, since Hudson is my first ES, but I can try to answer any questions that you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy View Post
Hi! I'm currently living in rural Oregon on an acre of land. I'd like to go to a reputable breeder for my dog, but I can't decide on what breed.

I'd like a short hair dog, but I can deal with a bit of coat.
Polite with strangers, but mainly sticks with me. I don't have any other dogs, but we get lots of small mammals around and I don't want to have a dog that is driven crazy by it, but I would like them to alert me to strangers.
Good on around 30 mins-1 hour of exercise per day.
Not prone to separation anxiety.
Ball/frisbee crazy.
Biddable.
Medium size would be nice, but I can go smaller or larger.
Not too unhealthy.
Reliable off leash.
Velcro dog, the kind that follows you too the bathroom!

I was thinking a nice golden retriever or a boxer would fit me well, but I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions? Opinions appreciated.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/

Last edited by LostAndConfused; 06-15-2014 at 03:08 PM. Reason: more info
Old 06-15-2014, 05:30 PM
Active Pup

I looked a bit at ES, they sound very nice too. I found a breeder in Oregon who's dogs I may go to see.

I don't need a dog that has an I LOVE EVERYONE attitude, and honestly, being politely reserved with strangers is completely fine with me.

I really like Creekside Border Collies (a working breeder), though they are super far away so I'd have to either fly there or have the puppy shipped.

Contact Point BCs look really nice too, though I'm not sure if going to a sports breeder for my first BC would be wise?