Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-22-2014, 09:20 PM
Active Pup

Default Dog #2! Curious about her makeup...

I just adopted a second dog, another rescue. Her name is Lucy and they believe she's around a year and a half old. She's from Louisiana (was abandoned by her family when they moved away, sad story). They first mentioned her as a "pocket coonie", as she's tri-colored like a Treeing Walker Coonhound, but she's very small. She's 30 lbs and I'd say she's about the size of the 15-inch variety Beagle. Her face does seem pretty beagle-ish, but her muzzle seems a bit longer and not as square as a beagle's... maybe more like a foxhound's. I thought at first that it looked a bit like a Dachshund's. When she's alert, her ears will perk up quite a bit. We wondered if she could have a bit of terrier in her too, but I'm really not sure.

Here are some pictures of her. In the first one, she is on the left and my 2 1/2 year old coonhound Abby (small Treeing Walker or English Coonhound, 20 inches tall, weight in the 40s) is on the right.

They're a bit too large to post here so I'll link to them.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

I guess I could get a DNA test done, but I had one done for Abby and some of the results were a little far-fetched (1/4 Greyhound, 1/4 Beagle, 1/2 Treeing Walker Coonhound), so I question their accuracy. I had the Wisdom Panel one done, I've heard blood DNA tests might be better but my vet doesn't do them.
Old 06-22-2014, 09:26 PM
such sights to show you

Hound, hound, and hound.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:37 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Hound, hound, and hound.
^ this.

I would go with Treeing Walker and Beagle.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:54 PM
Top Dog

She reminds me of my grandma's Foxhound. Maybe foxhound/beagle?

Brit & Jackson

Old 06-23-2014, 06:35 AM
Active Pup

Thanks guys for the input. Her face does look pretty foxhound-ish to me. She's so small she's kind of like a mini me, lol. Her bark is even a bit higher-pitched (with a bit of howl sometimes). My coonhound's bark is quite a bit deeper (well duh I guess since she's bigger).
Old 06-23-2014, 06:52 PM
Puppy Dog

Living in deer dog country, I've seen plenty of purebred 'hunting' beagles that look more like her than an AKC beagle. The ones that are run on deer tend to be leggy and racier looking than the typical beagle.

Are foxhounds common in your area? I'd tend to believe she's a walker/beagle mix before a foxhound.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:53 PM
Puppy Dog

But I wanted to add that she is adorable!!
Old 06-23-2014, 08:18 PM
Active Pup

Thank you so much!

Neither walkers nor foxhounds are really common in my area... I'm in NY about 30 miles from NYC. She is originally from Louisiana though - Monroe area I believe. The rescue group hails from that area and they save a lot of walkers... some foxhounds, but mostly walkers. I guess she could very well be a beagle/walker mix... her face seems to resemble a walker's in miniature (kind of like a beagle vs. a pocket beagle).
Old 06-23-2014, 11:23 PM
Ruddy Buttinski

I'm no expert on hounds, but she looks like a fine-boned/delicate Beagle to me. Very ladylike

My current project, becoming a nonprofit: Lost Pets of Southern California
Sienna's new blog: Reasons My Dog is Sulking
Old 06-24-2014, 03:29 PM
Top Dog

As someone who lives down here, it could be a Treeing Walker crossed with a Beagle. I know of some people that purposefully make the mix, but they are novices that can't work either breed successfully therefore they feel they must cross them to achieve their goals.

However, there are sooooooooo many byb and poorly bred Beagles down here. Obviously the real working Beagles don't look like those fancy ones prancing in the show rings, and there is a little variance between breeders, but there are a lot of country folk that just breed whether it's to breed and sell to unsuspecting folk or it's an "oopsie" litter.