Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: Would you get a dog off craigslist?
Yes 39 69.64%
No 5 8.93%
Red Velvet Cake 12 21.43%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-17-2014, 12:41 PM
Twin 2

I will say I probably wouldn't ever get a puppy puppy off of Craigslist, but not because it's Craigslist but for the same reason I wouldn't get one from a rescue. Don't know what I'm getting.

But older puppy/young adult? Most certainly if I wasn't going through a breeder.

When I was looking for Fergus I saw SO many dogs that if I had been looking for a fun sport dog I would have checked out because the families got the dog, it grew up and oh my word you mean this ACD/BC mix needs to DO THINGS?

And the thing is, I hate hoops. I have had very bad experiences dealing with rescues and shelters and really would like to avoid them at all costs. Craigslist to me is full of people that have a pet they love but just can't keep anymore but don't want to see them put in a shelter where the person has no say over anything.

Are their creeps on there? People just looking for money? People trying to get rid of their dog to the first person they can? Yep. But I also found a lot of sincere people trying very hard to do right by their dog.

And again, no hoops or contracts or "You mean your dog isn't neutered? Then I'm sorry you can't have this ALREADY ALTERED cat."
Old 06-17-2014, 01:28 PM
Top Dog

Ma'ii is a craigslist dog, so yes! I have and would again!

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 06-17-2014, 02:21 PM
Big Dog

Before I got Susie, I had been looking at SPCA sites for a dog but did not like their contracts also the only dogs available in the size I wanted, were not breeds or crosses that I liked. Eleven years ago, I had never heard of Craig's list but I heard of some pups advertised on our local radio station.

I went to see Susie, she was a Bernese crossed with a neighbor dog and I got her for nothing. She was actually the first dog I had ever owned that was not a registered purebred.

I am not likely to get any more dogs in the near future but would consider a dog off Craigs list if I did.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:30 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
I will say I probably wouldn't ever get a puppy puppy off of Craigslist, but not because it's Craigslist but for the same reason I wouldn't get one from a rescue. Don't know what I'm getting.

But older puppy/young adult? Most certainly if I wasn't going through a breeder.

When I was looking for Fergus I saw SO many dogs that if I had been looking for a fun sport dog I would have checked out because the families got the dog, it grew up and oh my word you mean this ACD/BC mix needs to DO THINGS?

And the thing is, I hate hoops. I have had very bad experiences dealing with rescues and shelters and really would like to avoid them at all costs. Craigslist to me is full of people that have a pet they love but just can't keep anymore but don't want to see them put in a shelter where the person has no say over anything.

Are their creeps on there? People just looking for money? People trying to get rid of their dog to the first person they can? Yep. But I also found a lot of sincere people trying very hard to do right by their dog.

And again, no hoops or contracts or "You mean your dog isn't neutered? Then I'm sorry you can't have this ALREADY ALTERED cat."
This. SO MUCH THIS!!! Every word in here is exactly how I feel.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:51 PM
Chihuahua Power!

More than likely, I see myself going through breeders for my dogs. I'm particular about my wants (generally, well bred chihuahuas lol) and I like the security of getting puppies from parents who have been health tested.

I "bought" an 8 day old chihuahua puppy from CL who was in a bad situation. The owner was on drugs, she said the mother was stolen, and they weren't taking care of the newborn puppies. I spent $75 to get her out of that situation, and I had fed her for 3 days until my sister (foster failure) could take her.

I would ALWAYS take a puppy or dog from CL in a situation like that... I would never "buy" a "$400 full bread chiwawa" from CL, but I will always take rescues for a small fee.

I'd also be more likely to find a dog on CL versus going through a rescue or shelter. I have 6 dogs (and Rory isn't neutered) and I'm going to have a baby very soon... I'm not exactly the best candidate for rescuing a dog in many rescue/shelter viewpoints.

I also found my suggies on CL from someone rehoming them.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 06-17-2014, 05:47 PM
Top Dog

I haven't gotten a dog off CL, but I have gotten goats and a horse off of it.

My late Lab X, Chevy, was newspaper re home (before CL was around) and she was one the best dogs I've owned.

Alot of the dogs you see on CL (excluding the $$$ BYB dogs) usually will end up at rescues or shelters if no one takes them. Worse case, they get dumped along a busy road.

Deputy, 2007 Zane, 2008 Abby, 2008, Kieber, 2013
Old 06-17-2014, 08:25 PM
Obey the Toad.

I would. I actually have no idea where our next dog will come from or even the breed, and while I have specific wants for dogs I find them to be pretty flexible--I just really like dogs, all kinds of dogs! I don't think I would get a puppy though, for the unknown factor. At least an adult or mostly adult dog is more a a known quantity personality-wise.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:38 PM
Top Dog

Given our current lifestyle, no rescue or shelter would adopt to us. Even though both of our dogs are extremely well cared for, well exercised, fed a good diet, are seen by a vet regularly, and just over all are very happy dogs, the fact we live in an RV and travel frequently is enough for them to decide not to adopt to us. So, at this point we have no choice but to go through either craigslist or breeders. And honestly, a dog in need of a home is a dog in need of a home, so craigslist is still rescue in my eyes. Just without all the judgemental BS you get from so many rescues and shelters.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 06-18-2014, 05:15 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakou View Post
.......... And honestly, a dog in need of a home is a dog in need of a home............

I voted YES!

I definitely would not 'buy' from any source but reputable breeder because seriously, whether craig's list, shelter, newspaper, or bulletin board there is a difference between rehome fee and SELLING PRICE right!? I won't feed the puppy millers, but I support owners trying to do the best they can and ALSO fosters in it for the animals welfare. Shoot we have plenty who foster on their own here on Chaz! I applaud them!

But to me, as Shakou stated above "A dog in need of a home is a dog in need of a home" and rolling the genetic dice at a shelter/rescue is no different IMO than Craig's list.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:07 AM
Top Dog

Would I get a puppy thats being sold for profit from a BYBer? No.

Would I get an adult dog? Yes.

Because, although I would love to support a rescue, and though I've fostered for two within the province here, most rescues won't adopt to me. (Kid under two, cats, unfenced yard, work outside of home, under 30...)
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.