Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: Would you get a dog off craigslist?
Yes 39 69.64%
No 5 8.93%
Red Velvet Cake 12 21.43%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-17-2014, 09:14 AM
Top Dog

Wilson & Piper are both "Craigslist dogs".

Wilson is amazing, couldn't ask for a better temperament and health wise *knock on wood* he's never had any issues. He came from an "oops" litter (apparently the neighbors American Bulldog dug under her fence). The girl who had the pups was actually pretty decent and made sure they went on spay/neuter contracts. All vaccines were UTD for their age, pups were clean & well taken care of, etc. I saw this:

and couldn't resist going to see them (Wilson's on the far left). Mind you, this was back in '09 before I really knew a whole lot about BYB's and such. She did have mom spayed right after this, and I've kept in touch with a few of the other puppy owners. So all in all, a great outcome.

Now Piper.. whole different ball game. Lady who bred her told me she rescued a litter, so I was assuming it was a foster situation, something like that. It was clear when I got there that it wasn't. There were roaches crawling up walls, pups peeing all over the place and no one cleaning anything, it was disgusting. Found out that they decided to breed the female because she was blue. And pretty. Ugh. Long story short, I gave them $50 just to get Piper out of there.

Piper is my train wreck dog. I'm over $6k in vet bills just in the past year & a half with both of her TTA's and rehab for them. As a pup she had demodex as well as other various skin issues. Stomach issues were also a problem for a year or so when she was younger. She seems to have grown out of the skin & stomach issues, thankfully. Now we just have to manage her arthritis that comes along with the TTA's. She's also "lumpy" and has already had 2 fatty tumors removed.. has another 2 or 3 growing currently. We call her our "Money Pit" for a reason.

In the future, no, I will not seek out a dog from CL. I plan on having Amstaffs (and maybe a Frenchie or another breed) here on out and those will all be from reputable breeders. No more BYB, unknown history/lineage dogs.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:33 AM
The Monster.

I'm really, really picky when it comes to dogs. I love certain dogs a great deal, but I am not what I would call a dog lover. I normally refer to myself as a dog nerd.

So, with that said, no, I'm not likely to get a dog from CL/Kijiji. I'd probably only get puppies from breeders after careful research on their lines, etc. I could see myself maybe taking home a friend's foster if I meet the dog and fall in love, but it would be highly, highly dependant on the situation.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 06-17-2014, 11:21 AM
Top Dog

After reading some other responses, I should say that while I would be about as likely to get a dog from Craigslist as from a rescue, I'm far more likely to buy from a breeder. I'm just too picky about what I want and I like to plan and know (as well as possible) what I'm getting into.

So while I have no issues with a Craigslist dog vs a rescue, it's unlikely I would personally get one from either place.

And I also answered cake

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 06-17-2014, 11:43 AM
I'm All Ears

Yes, I anticipate pretty much all my dogs will be breeder dogs too. But I still want to rescue a senior or two one day.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:43 AM
Top Dog

I want to ammend my answer. I don't know that I would get any dog at this point, short of a pup from a breeder, without the chance to try it out and foster it Shelters can lie. Look age Gambit. They knew he had been feral, and knew that he was a coy, but failed to pass that info on. If they had been honest, I would have never taken him.

Quiddich is another example. He came from a good shelter run by one of my best friends. I know she was honest about what she saw, and that she fely his biggest issue was that he was a puppy raised in a shelter who needed some manners put on him. But he loved everyone.

Well, once he had been home a few weeks with an actual owner, hks shar-pei came out and he started to show some gaurdy/protective behaviors. He's still great, but what she saw and wht I saw were two very different things.

So I would bemost likely to take a dog I could do a trial run with, regaless of the source

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:49 AM
Top Dog

I voted yes. But really, I don't know.

I would honestly rather support a rescue than take a rehome off craigslist.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 06-17-2014, 12:03 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I had voted yes. Really though, it depends. Would I take a dog needing a home that is being given away off from kijiji/CraigsList? Yes. Would I buy a dog (or "adoption fee") off kijiji/CraigsList? No.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 06-17-2014, 12:23 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I wouldn't NOT get a dog off craigslist - in other words, I wouldn't go "ugh, but it's on craigslist" and not take it. I ditto Jess too, I wouldn't "buy" one off craigslist but I would adopt one that needed a home.

That said I have very specific desires with my dogs so it's unlikely to happen. The only case I can really see is, like Laur, a senior dog who needs help. I have such a soft spot for senior dogs... so... yeah. But that is most likely going to come from a sheltie rescue rather than just randomly finding one on craigslist.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-17-2014, 12:37 PM
Squishy face

My family has gotten a dog of CL - Rocky! I found him and sent the ad to my mom and she wanted him. He had some issues with marking around the house, but that has really improved. Otherwise Rocky has been a good dog.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 06-17-2014, 12:37 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Not opposed but not likely to happen either, at least given my current state of affairs. More likely to support a good breeder with dogs/lines I adore who does all the things I consider to be important.

But if I have an open spot in the household and the right dog needs a safe place to land, hey I'm all for it. I'm just not likely to notice since I don't look.

After all the last CL dog I met is pretty fantastic and my puppy has a boycrush on him.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13