Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: Would you get a dog off craigslist?
Yes 39 69.64%
No 5 8.93%
Red Velvet Cake 12 21.43%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-16-2014, 07:11 PM
Duuuuude.

I did (Riff) and got kind of burned, so I'm a little leery of doing it again. I don't think they were forthright with me and had I really known what I was getting, I don't think I would've taken him. Don't get me wrong, I love him and now he'll forever be my little dude, but he's not what I was looking for.

I guess I would do it again, but I'd be a lot more stringent with it. Tons of probing questions & a contract of some sort that they'd take the dog back (to keep or rehome again) if it was a horrible fit.

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff
Old 06-16-2014, 07:17 PM
I'm All Ears

Yes I would depending on the way the ad seemed. There was one dog a while back that I would definitely have adopted if I hadn't been renting. Senior fat border collie that just tugged at my heart so bad. I want to rescue all the seniors.

One day I am going to rescue a senior.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:20 PM
Top Dog

I'm a bit leery of it, but not completely apposed. However, it is highly unlikely that I would go that route.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:25 PM
Top Dog

I'm not opposed to it, but not likely. I have gotten cockatiels off CL.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:02 PM
Puppy Dog

Well I have a dog off craigslist so yes I suppose, turned out well enough for all involved. But she was a 2 year old spayed dog, I wouldn't go looking for a puppy or breeder on there.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:19 PM
Top Dog

I would not go searching for a breeder on Craigslist but if a pup/dog was brought to my attention that needed to be rehomed and I thought s/he would fit well into our household and I was in a position to add another dog I would consider it.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:29 PM
Wanna Pet My Wiener?

I would. Wouldn't seek a dog out off CL, but wouldn't be opposed to it. I'm more likely to get a dog off CL than from a shelter or rescue.

The Watchmen "Pike"
Blue merle Miniature American Shepherd puppy

Dachshund Nola: Life as a crazy, fun loving Doxie
http://dachshundnola.blogspot.com
Old 06-16-2014, 08:31 PM
Top Dog

I am less likely to get a dog off Craigslist than from a shelter/rescue, because I want some accountability for what I'm going to be told, but I wouldn't be completely opposed to it if the right dog was there. Just more leery than I would be about a dog from a legitimate shelter/rescue.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:00 PM
orange iguanas.

My favorite thing about getting Cajun from CL is that there were 0 hoops to jump through. Not because her owner didn't care where she went (and I think she legitimately DID care, as she had apparently turned away a couple people), but there wasn't that annoying rescue process with the lengthy application, the reference checks, the home visit. My only rescue experience is with Happy, and I think they sped through the process quite a bit with her, but it irked me that I had to go into details about my other pets and prove this, that, and the other thing about them and have them current on vaccines and defend why my cat wasn't current blah blah blah.

There was this nagging feeling with Cajun that maybe there was a story we weren't getting, she SAYS she just doesn't have time for her but maybe she's really just crazy and aggressive and is going to eat the other dogs? But really all we had to do was spend some time with her to feel pretty confident with our decision.

I don't tend to see "my" type of dogs advertised on CL, but as a general rule I'd probably be more likely to get a dog off CL than I would be to go through a rescue.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 06-16-2014, 09:04 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I have adopted pocket pets from Craigslist, accepted foster animals from Craigslist, and adopted out fosters (dogs, cats, pocket pets) through Craigslist. So I've had quite a few good experiences, especially when it came to adopting put my fosters. You have to weed through a lot of stupidity, but a lot of awesome people can be found, too.