Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 06-17-2014, 09:36 AM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran27 View Post

The 4 ways stop signs I actually don't mind. I found that people are actually nice here and will let you go first if you were at the intersection first. I was just telling my mom that if they did that in France it would be a disaster. There are some roundabouts in some places though, at least on the East coast.
Well, that is the law.

Person to get to the 4-way stop intersection first has the right-of-way. If two cars get there are the same time, right-of-way goes to the car on the right.

We have some roundabouts. I don't like them. Around here, they take twice as much time as the simple stop sign intersection. I will admit though, watching a F350 Extended Cab try to squeeze around a small roundabout is quite comical. I think the size of our vehicles makes roundabouts a bit tricky here unless the roundabouts are HUGE. But then they take up too much room.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 06-17-2014, 10:02 AM
Sit! Good dog.

I think myth busters did a stop sign vs roundabout test!

http://m.autoblog.com/2013/10/07/myt...ut-video-poll/

We have mini double roundabouts here. That's a MINI roundabout 2 right next to each other

Anyway I digress.

Your bread is sweet!! At least the whole grain loaf I picked up to make toast with is! Not good...

And I tried a biscuit. Its not like our biscuits lol.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 06-17-2014, 10:39 AM
Top Dog

everything is sweet here if you don't make it yourself. They even put corn syrup in ketchup.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:16 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
And I tried a biscuit. Its not like our biscuits lol.
Well, what you call biscuits we call cookies. What we call biscuits are more similar to your scones or other pastries.

And yeah, bread bought from the store is sweet - corn syrup keeps it moist and people in the US tend to like sweet things. Can you tell I worked at a bread company for a while? Bread from local bakeries tends to be much better, but more expensive than the standard wrapped stuff in the grocery store.

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 06-17-2014, 11:21 AM
Chihuahua Power!

I wish we made more use of roundabouts here... I really liked them in Ireland and Scotland... they make so much more sense to me!

Packaged bread here is super sweet... and gets wet in the toaster. Weird, right? I'd definitely recommend getting bread from a local bakery where they make it in house.

Definitely be weary of ingredients. Unlike the UK, almost everything is sweetened with high fructose corn syrup unless otherwise mentioned on the packaging.

Have you tried many American foods? Maple syrup (real maple syrup, not "syrup") is SO good on our pancakes, good BBQ restaurants, etc?

I'm happy to hear you're having a good time! I love traveling internationally!

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 06-17-2014, 11:23 AM
Dogless

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
everything is sweet here if you don't make it yourself. They even put corn syrup in ketchup.
It seems like there is some corn product in almost everything.

Anyway, yes... Everything is sweet here. Even things that aren't suppose to be sweet.

Jazzy 5 y/o. Siberian
Old 06-17-2014, 11:27 AM
Top Dog

I just buy whole wheat bread which has no corn syrup. I've heard that American food is sweet compared to elsewhere.

Last edited by MinPinOwner; 06-17-2014 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:08 PM
Top Dog

Dang I can't seem to find the mythbusters video. I don't like roundabouts, at least the big ones. People are nuts and it's just too dangerous sometimes when they switch to the right lane to exit while you're trying to get in (Place de L'Etoile anyone? YIKES). I do like the 4 way stops better, even though they left me totally dumbfounded at first, lol.

Packaged bread, it drove me nuts, it gets all wet when you toast it, I mean, wth? Even if it has no corn syrup it often has sugar in it though. I guess I got used to it, I never really noticed (but I never ate much packaged bread in France anyway).
Old 06-17-2014, 01:41 PM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
I'm in salt lake city. Strange place off to Vegas tomorrow!! Looking forward to that!

I'm going to practice driving today. In an automatic! On your crazy roads! Beware local people!
DON'T use your left foot. Keep it jammed on the dead pedal off to the left. I've slammed HARD on the brakes in so many car going for the clutch.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
DON'T use your left foot. Keep it jammed on the dead pedal off to the left. I've slammed HARD on the brakes in so many car going for the clutch.
Yes! I've avoided this (usually slamming my left foot into the floor instead of the brake) but my husband has done it a couple times and it's quite a shock.

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12