Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 06-16-2014, 12:35 PM
Red.Apricot's Avatar
Red.Apricot Red.Apricot is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,660
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post

And I know I put this on the venting thread but my sister is in a wheelchair at the moment and omg the difference in the way you get treated in a wheelchair is amazing to me too.
My dad broke one of his front teeth, and while he was waiting to have it replaced people treated him SO DIFFERENTLY. It was shocking.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 06-16-2014, 12:46 PM
JazzyTheSibe's Avatar
JazzyTheSibe JazzyTheSibe is online now
Dogless
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 580
Default

Well... The problem with me is that, I can never bring up a conversation with a stranger, or with someone who I don't know well. I need to know that person well,& be comfortable with that person to even start a simple conversation. I'll talk to someone if they say hi, or ask me a question, I'll talk to them.But, even then, I can't start talking to them.

So, that might be a big reason why people don't pay attention to me in school. B
Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
I just came to say this. I've seen pictures of at least half the people in this thread who are grading their appearances, and there are a few of you who are just dead wrong.
This. Grace, your gorgeous, I'm jealous. I've seen pictures of others here, your all gorgeous. Everyone here is.

I haven't ever posted a picture of myself here(& other online places),& probably won't.
[QUOTE/]
This. A hug for everyone?[/QUOTE]

(((HUGS))) to everyone.
__________________

Jazzy 5 y/o. Siberian
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 06-16-2014, 12:57 PM
Dekka's Avatar
Dekka Dekka is offline
Just try me..
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 19,231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Not really. If anything I am more confident now (weighing more) than then.

People are generally really friendly to me and have been... I'm a pretty non threatening person who tends to be smiley and easy going. I get people talking to me a lot.

But there is a difference in the way I was treated and how many people would go out of their way to be nice to me or something like that.... It's hard to put into words. I would not have noticed it unless I had lost the weight because I generally thought people were friendly beforehand (and they generally were). I can only remember one time in my life where a stranger called me a name for no reason and it was in high school so I think it was probably a douche being a douche.

What you wear also makes a huge difference too. And makeup and all that. I do think it goes both ways as far as confidence affecting your interactions but I don't think the studies and WWYD are wrong in showing that what you look like does GREATLY affect the way you're treated. And that's not just pretty vs unpretty but a 1000 different factors that people judge based on.

And I know I put this on the venting thread but my sister is in a wheelchair at the moment and omg the difference in the way you get treated in a wheelchair is amazing to me too.

Interesting. I never noticed any difference no matter where my weight has been (I have been down 60 pounds followed by up 80) But I could also be not paying attention how strangers judge me.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 06-16-2014, 01:16 PM
Fran101's Avatar
Fran101 Fran101 is offline
Resident fainting goat
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 12,253
Default



I'm pretty average looking but I have a cute dog and like to wear yoga pants alot which I think helps, people are usually pretty friendly to me lol I think a lot of it depends on natural type and there is some insecurity with not fitting the delicate kind of blonde white slender beauty standard but I've learned to kind of appreciate my self for what it is

That said, the me vs. PRETTY GIRLS WITH THE MAKEUP AND SKIRTS...is ridiculous.
I'm tired so have these tumblr educational graphics


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 06-16-2014, 01:18 PM
Dogdragoness's Avatar
Dogdragoness Dogdragoness is offline
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gillett/San Antonio TX
Posts: 3,352
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
I think its well documented FACT that humans treat other humans differently dependent on looks. Note I'm not specifying gender here. Or what looks. Its goes ALL WAYS.

What's sad is people perpetuate it. But I know I'm guilty as much as the next person.... its very very hard not to make (often unconscious) judgement.
I think it's human nature to be judgemental, I know I am and I expect judgement in return, I know I get it, I don't care, I like myself.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 06-16-2014, 01:23 PM
crazedACD crazedACD is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: MA
Posts: 2,685
Default

I'm overweight and uh..more of an obedience prospect than a conformation or agility prospect . I have no idea if people treat me differently, I really haven't noticed. I have people tell me to go in front of them sometimes, open doors for me, and so forth. At work I'm likely to get a customer asking if I need help if they see me trying to get a heavy item down (lol). Lots of people are friendly.

I do think presentation plays a part. It's not always pretty/ugly..it's confidence, bubbly attitude, maintained hair, clean/proper clothes. Her weight makes no difference to me at least. And there is a difference between...I was just doing yard work and had to go to the store to get something dirty, and just...dirty people.

I was reading something the other day about the weight thing, and yeah more overweight women are being put into movies and tv shows. The article said this is true, but the overweight woman is portrayed as mannish/a binge or junk food eater/lazy. This is just not the case.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
I can't find it online right now, but there was once an experiment to see who would be helped on the side of the road faster - a pretty woman or an "average" woman.

A broken-down car was staged. When it was a pretty woman's car, people flocked to help her. The "average" woman didn't get helped at all.

Sad.
My old car used to have a slow oil leak. I remember I was at a gas station in the city, I was in plain scrubs, and had my hood open to put oil in. I had a million (guys) ask if I needed help. In normal clothes (jeans), that never really happened. Was it right time/right place though? Or was it maybe that I was more professional looking, and more approachable? Who knows, really.

My mom had a seizure while driving and crashed into a brick wall. No one stopped for a while. I know I've seen cars go off the road, or crash, and immediately people pull over and try to help (not knowing who is in the car). It might simply be the right people at the right time. Sometimes I stop for people who look like they need help, like a guy that blew his tire in front of a subdivision. He didn't have a cell phone on him and no spare, he was grateful I stopped and he borrowed my phone to get someone to help him.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 06-16-2014, 01:23 PM
Fran27 Fran27 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 10,215
Default

Am I the only one who actually feels more at ease with less attractive men? I swear I always feel so awkward around hot dudes. And same with women who always wear nicely... they intimidate me for some reason.

I guess I do treat people differently because of that, in a way.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 06-16-2014, 01:36 PM
Beanie's Avatar
Beanie Beanie is online now
Clicker Cult Coordinator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Illinois
Posts: 13,172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
The sociologist in me really hates this **** because it's pretending there's no differences between men and women. OF COURSE THERE ARE DIFFERENCES and it's stupid to pretend there's not. The problem only comes when you try to force things into little boxes and tell people "you can't."
You can't wear pink because that's a girl's color.
You can't play with Hot Wheels because those are boy's toys.
You can't lift weights or you'll get bulky like a man (1: no, 2: WHAT IF I WANT TO BE BULKY LIKE A MAN?)
You can't eat frozen yogurt because only girls do that.
So on and so forth.

How about just letting people do what they want without worrying if it fits into your box of what men/women SHOULD do?

But it's ridiculous to act like there aren't differences between the sexes in biology and physiology that influence us.


Also that was clearly drawn by somebody who legit has no idea what it's like to actually be a woman with mainly male friends. Because it sucks. And it doesn't make you more desirable to anybody and then other women have yet another reason to hate you because OH YOU SAY YOU'RE FRIENDS WITH MOSTLY MEN?? YOU BITCH.
__________________


Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 06-16-2014, 01:44 PM
Dogdragoness's Avatar
Dogdragoness Dogdragoness is offline
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gillett/San Antonio TX
Posts: 3,352
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran27 View Post
Am I the only one who actually feels more at ease with less attractive men? I swear I always feel so awkward around hot dudes. And same with women who always wear nicely... they intimidate me for some reason.

I guess I do treat people differently because of that, in a way.
NOt me, my fiancee is a hottie, and always has girls flirting with him. He doesn't think he is hot but girls sure think he is lol ... I think it's because he has that "something extra", that certain a ex appeal that just is ... attractive.

On the flip side, men seem to just .... like me for some reason , sometimes I think I look like a geek because I have mousy colored hair and wear glasses. I see myself as looking like a librarian xD, but fiancee says that's what men find "hot" about me lol ... I don't know
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 06-16-2014, 01:46 PM
Fran101's Avatar
Fran101 Fran101 is offline
Resident fainting goat
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 12,253
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Also that was clearly drawn by somebody who legit has no idea what it's like to actually be a woman with mainly male friends. Because it sucks. And it doesn't make you more desirable to anybody and then other women have yet another reason to hate you because OH YOU SAY YOU'RE FRIENDS WITH MOSTLY MEN?? YOU BITCH.
The comic, which is very simplified, the mainly problematic thing is the OH GOD GIRLS AND ALL THEIR STUPID GIRL DRAMA, not the "I like hanging out with boys" it's the "I like hanging out with boys because ALL GIRLS ARE X, Y, Z"
It's not perfect by any means but that was the point I was trying to make.

and
"How about just letting people do what they want without worrying if it fits into your box of what men/women SHOULD do?"
that's exactly what I was TRYING to convey. The gender roles are the problem (pink, tonka trucks, wildly emotional drama queens, strong emotionless manly men), not the physiological differences.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:46 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site